Troll head question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aldo, Sep 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

For me it is almost as hard to get a troll head to drop as a wyvern head. I end up cleaning out the ruined keep three or four times for just one head (except the boss). So my question is, being I do not have a dungeon set up. Do heads drop very often in a dungeon room with a troll spawner? If so what level spawn do I need to set up? I have no interest in dungeons, but will make one just for the trolls if it is a reasonable thing to do. Any suggestions other than visiting other people's creations.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    FBohler, Elgarion and Time Lord like this.
  2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I've been grinding 2 different troll dungeons, 1 has a few Tier 4 rooms and 2 Tier 3 rooms, and in about 20 runs of that one, I haven't gotten a single head.

The other dungeon has a T6 room, but I don't recall grabbing a troll head in that room either, but I might have forgotten. I think the best chances are Ruined Keep, Ruins of Ravensmoor and Troll's Bridge.

3. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Hmmm, currently they drop 2.5% to 15% depending on the tier of the troll, lower for CP or player dungeon stuff of course. I have to do a pass on regeneration potions this month (maybe next month but I'm hoping to finish the initial potions pass this month), and I'll adjust since we'll need more of them for the regen pots (and try to make more uses for them as well).

Time Lord, Schulz, Aldo and 3 others like this.
  4. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

With troll head in its recipe, regen potions will need a boost to be considered by players.
    Maybe focus regen as well? Maybe scalable with AL like the others? One can dream :D

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

:cool: Even if you do nothing, the simple fact that you all are paying attention says a lot considering the history of complaints about inattention in the past. It renews my faith. We are progressing, that is for sure.

Time Lord, FBohler and Violet Ronso like this.
  6. Owsley

Owsley Bug Hunter

It appears to me that all the player dungeon trolls drops are underwhelming. All the other player dungeon spawns (Lich, Kobold, Elves) have much better loot. Even lvl 1 totem non-troll spawns give an occasional artifact, essence, or offhand foci. I won’t even bother with a lvl 1 troll. Not worth it.

Time Lord and Aldo like this.
  7. Vaentorian

Vaentorian Localization Team

New butchery recipe: 1 Troll Head -> 25 "Handful of Troll Brain"
    Potion of regeneration then uses troll brain instead of troll head.
    Problem solved :D

Time Lord, Anpu and FBohler like this.
  8. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Wouldn't it be 3 troll heads for a handful of troll brain? :rolleyes:

Time Lord and Aldo like this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Troll heads and lich skulls are too hard to come by.

Time Lord, Aldo and Anpu like this.
  10. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

LOL good point.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. scubaman

scubaman Avatar

Lich skulls are a joke trying to make just a few useable potions a day to play with. Not trying to stockpile thousands to sell. Needs a major increase in drop. - And apparently everyone feels the same, because even after vendor search added to game I found zero for sale in the major vendor towns.

12. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Agreed. I think @Elgarion said he was going to take a look at lich skulls. I suspect it's still on his ever expanding list and he just hasn't gotten there yet.

Time Lord, FBohler and Barugon like this.
  13. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

(I know he's on vacation, but I wanna poke @Elgarion on this anyway. The aether acumen potions sell, but I can no longer stock them due to the difficulty of getting lich skulls in any reasonable quantity for the time investment. I've just finished using the 30 or so I've managed to gather over the last six years.)

FBohler and Anpu like this.
  14. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

The api says 30 dropped in the past 24 hours. Have you tried hunting any of the high level liches?

Anpu likes this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I only selfishly make the acumen potions for myself.

FBohler and Aldo like this.
  16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

How many liches were killed for those 30 drops?

Aldo likes this.
  17. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Considering 26 were from the fall, I'm guessing not a huge amount. I'm not really set up for liches right now or I would go try some different spots myself.

Aldo likes this.
  18. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Will trade a few lich skulls for trolls. Knowing this is not the market place, but us troll head and lich skull hunters are few and far between. Just to carry us over until @Elgarion does his thing.

19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'll take that trade, but I won't be in-game until later. I think I have like 35 or so troll heads.

20. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

As high as I can manage. Nowadays, in areas I can manage, I might get 1 an hour. Which then becomes 3 potions. Whereas I can get 20 or so bear heads in 10-15 minutes.

My best luck so far seems to be Elrin Nayer in Despair. His respawn is slow, and he kills me maybe 1 in 3 fights, but the drop rate is better. I spent hours and hours in Deep Ravenswood back in the day, and never got a skull. A lot of my (former) supply came from the brief window where I was able to solo UT. I tried somebody's lich dungeon once, but I got stomped hard. I looked into just purchasing skulls, but prices tend to be stupid. (Though, with the vendor search, it might he worth it to go shopping for them again and see.) I also put buy orders on my vendors, but that hasn't netted me any yet.

Ideally, the recipe would change to use a different ingredient that drops on par with bear heads and corpion claws. I can understand lich skulls not being super common, but it messes up the parity between stat potions.

Adam Crow and Anpu like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.