1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Universal vendor with price

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by simon1974, Dec 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oplek

oplek Avatar

I'm kind of surprised they decided to do something at all, but I'm not surprised they went for the safe option that'll likely underperform. It's also unlikely that it'll be future proofed for a global system.

So first step? We're probably looking at the only thing that'll ever be done with this. The game development no longer has any boldness, or any ambition.

I was watching a video recently, where the opinions of the person resonated with me. (quote below video)

If there's anything that could be said to be core gameplay in Shroud of the Avatar, it's merchanting. It needs to be fleshed out, such as making finding items easy. A full, complete implementation is critical here.

The parasitic designs that have wasted loads of dev time? Brewing, player dungeons/quests, mounts, Obsidian Trials, competitive fishing, etc. The problem is not that they're a small team. It's that they don't make great choices on where to put their efforts, with the resources they have. They're a restaurant of 2 employees trying to serve 1000 tables, badly, when they can handle 20 effectively... and for some reason they keep trying to serve the 1000.

majoria70, Cordelayne and FBohler like this.
  2. oplek

oplek Avatar

If they had foregone spending resources of parasitic elements, they would have had more time to work on core aspects of the game. Chance are, player dungeons will never be complete. They bloat the game, and require more ongoing maintenance, further taking away from the important game mechanics.

... but they can't very well just remove player dungeons, because they're too ingrained in the playerbase now. They trickle out these systems piece be piece, instead of releasing all at once. Satisfactory may release non-bug updates every 4-6 months, but when they do, they're whole, and they're complete. And as importantly, they can decide to back out if it doesn't pan out in internal testing, before committing it to the game forever, in shambles or not.

Cordelayne and FBohler like this.
  3. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I've been saying this all along, but I don't see how a global vendor could even work in this game. There are too many items and vendors so a search would take forever if it was global. It makes total sense to me that they are implementing it just for towns.

When I had multiple vendors spread around the game, it took forever just for me to look through my items in the list that shows everything you have for sale all at once (forgot what it's called). And that was only my listings...

Sentinel2, Wilfred, Spinok and 2 others like this.
  4. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Just go look at how long it takes your bank to load when it's full.

FBohler and Violet Ronso like this.
  5. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Good point. Like the leaderboard that rarely seems to work.

Adam Crow likes this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

FrostII and Anpu like this.
  7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Public Vendor Universal Shopping Still Needed then More than Ever...

With so many empty public vendors, maybe there's still hope for linking all of them into a world wide item connection since such a thing would create something of a clearing house for things not normally a hot or primium demanded item for sale on individual player vendors. I think such a thing still has merit for keeping our more primium items from drifting into hyperinflation.

I see many venders with so much special stuff, stuffed on them, that I think it will be difficult to find average quality items listed on them, yet also, when thinking about how this new coming vender search will help us, I see a further value in linking public venders in their own global item connection, which would limit the amount of times we head to a vender using the new system, only to find average or low quality items, when you were looking to buy something special, which is what resellers often go looking for.

[​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~:cool:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  8. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I am curious what it will look like. Will it be another POT NPC? If so, will it count against the the NPC limit (which is too low as is)? Will it work form the overland map? Will it be something the town crier provides?

FrostII and Time Lord like this.
  9. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Even if it does have prices included, it still means traveling to 300 towns to compare prices/find goods.

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yup.

11. Morgathys

Morgathys Avatar

If I was doing RMT, I would also have liked a global research with prices to make my life easier.
    Next steps is LUA hooks for searching, buying and selling programmatically, please. If we need to deal with the "instant happiness" push it to the top.

12. oplek

oplek Avatar

I've worked with databases with an excess of 350M entries, and when well-indexed, take a split second to search. I don't think the size of the database is/should-be the bottleneck (depending on how they did it). I suspect the bottleneck is in the UI itself. How do you load a bunch of data (and icons) into the UI without locking up the game? It's done, at the sacrifice of speed. That also can be mitigated with pagination, which I'm not recalling off the top of my head the UI supports.

Honestly, I wouldn't expect that they'd do a global search where literally everything in the game is loaded as one gigantic list.

Cordelayne, FrostII and Adam Crow like this.
  13. oplek

oplek Avatar

I'd add that, paginating does slow down the user experience, but so does running from town to town.

Cordelayne, FrostII and Adam Crow like this.
  14. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Maybe search per town would do it. Some kind of index perhaps?

15. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Absolutely ! It's what computers are quite good at..........
    Of course not - all that is loaded (returned) is specifically what is searched for.

Here's the way I see it working:

To begin with, the search engine (like any good search engine) recognizes quotation marks (" ")as meaning: Look for database entry's that match exactly the words inside the quotes - in the order shown by the " ".

So, if I search for "gold ingot" (capitalizations are ignored) - it would only return database (vendor) entries that have gold and ingot next to each other, IE Gold Ingot. It would ignore Gold Ore and Silver Ingots.

Conversely, if I searched for ingot it would return both Silver and Gold ingots (and Ingot Mold for that matter).

To do a good specific search, you need to know how any given item is shown (listed) on a vendor.
    It won't take more than a few "bad" searches - before you learn how to do a "good" search.

So, the game's database engine doesn't really have to do any "hard" work, since the search is internal and only has to return (to the player who requested the search) - the results of said search.

No rocket science there..... In fact UO did this over a decade ago with slower computers than what we have now - and a larger population to boot.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    Cordelayne likes this.
  16. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

On QA there is now a The New Vendor Listings in Zone option. This lists all items in a town with price. Move your mouse to the top right of the screen, click the Window Selector then select Vendor Listings in Zone option to bring the window up. Can also set a hot key for this as well in options.

This seems to be still early in development.

17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Funny I was thinking just that lol. Well not really funny. I know they are trying but please give us a one item global search. It can't take more resources to call that up than loading a whole towns item inventory. Hmmm

Also it is way too limiting and leaves too many player vendors out of the loop.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    ConjurerDragon and FrostII like this.
  18. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

This ^^^^^

19. vulcanjedi

vulcanjedi Bug Hunter

Wow
    At the moment I am amazed seeing things I didn't even know existed in game. Great start. I'm sure changes and optimizing are coming :)
    vj

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.