Return of Ransom

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Revenant, Aug 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnwick

Johnwick Avatar

If your trying to get new people into PVP, i dont know what to do i haven't thought on that too much since most people that do not pvp, really do not like being easy targets. So to get people more involved in PVP is another category all together. My solution was giving people something other that "loot off a player" but still getting a reward for the kill. (you may not get his nice armor, but youll get 1000gp)
    To get new people involved in PVP we should probably hear from people that do not PVP. They might have ideas stating why they would get involved, if there was something special for them to actually go into a PVP territory in the first place. Everyone needs to keep in mind in all actuality there are fewer PVP scenes, than non pvp scenes. The game devs could work on a reason to have PVP scenes, items or places you cannot see or play in unless you do go PVP, such as Deco, skins, COTO drops (anything from the COTO store that you can buy will never give you an advantage besides deco and skins anyhow.
    With the prices in the coto store, any player could benefit from getting more cotos! I would constantly go there to upgrade properties houses, and get skins etc....

Tahru likes this.
  2. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Maybe a tiered PvP global matchmaking? Novice, Intermediate and Advanced. You progress to the next tier when the game detects you're winning too easily (do not confuse to winning too much). You go back a tier if you lose too much. (Probably a lot of people will be going up and down tiers all the time, and that's fine because they'll have the chance to both win fights and face stronger opponents)

If there was such a thing, I would probably be doing a lot of PvP when I was newer to the game. My first duel was way past AL 100.

Johnwick likes this.
  3. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Cool idea! and if you win to much on the highest level. all of your skills are reset to 0. Then you have incentive to start over again... ;)

*flame shield on *

4. oplek

oplek Avatar

For me, it'd be something larger than myself. The incentivization isn't about a 1:1 reward. It'd be about territory, or progressing some kind of storyline, etc.

We have all these disparate systems scattered over the game that don't really have to do with anything else. Town sieges. Player dungeons. PVP zones. They could.

It could be that some players are on the side of the Cabalists, fighting on one side of the sieges, and the virtuous are fighting on the other. Player dungeons could essentially be another kind of "seige" from the Cabalists that need to be defeated (so, you know, player dungeons have some kind of point, or make some kind of sense in the world). PVP zones could be where the faction bases of operation are.

If there's a return of some kind of ransom, it'd exist more on the faction level, so it's not a personal loss.

5. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I really like your ideas.

6. Johnwick

Johnwick Avatar

This is a great idea, we have brought it up before, I don't think people listened as much as they should've in the past!

FBohler likes this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

What if a pvp quest or series of quests generated a situation for the bounty. It has interesting possibilities imo.

Remember if we only look at it one way it closes so many doors. Very many missed opportunities in this game because of all of those that's for sure. Anyway let's keep looking. When someone suggests it gives a chance for other ideas. We (not saying you are) don't need to be stuck in the past or just stuck with nothing happening to improve the game and game mechanics for fear of whatever like losing players. We just need interesting and lots more of that.

Things just need improved and implemented that give all players a chance to play how they enjoy. If that is happening within a pvp quest system that can generate interesting scenarios as part of that change why not. No one has to participate. It's a choice.

So just an example that if we don't have the player base at any points assassins can be game generated from being on the quest. Better if it's players but never knowing where they'll turn up could be interesting.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    Johnwick likes this.
  8. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

Every kid gets a Trophy eh? You, and others that consider this crack me up. If I was a shoe maker you'd have me make a shoe that fits everyone but fits everyone poorly. I'm not hardcore, I just believe Players make the best content and the best content is available when they can do anything without being coddled.

If you die... go back home and suit back up. If you lose something you really wanted/cherished.. then don't use it if you can't protect it. Dead is dead, my corpse is there.. RIP me. What can you take? Hell, take my panties because I'm dead.

Today you load up like the Beverly Hillbillies with everything under sun. With the best equipment you have. 1000's of arrows... Tons of foods... Tons of Potions... Why? Because there is no risk... NONE. And let's not forget to laugh as Portnip tries to keep the "immersion" while my character walks around with: 10,000 arrows, 100 potions, 20 meals, full set of armor, change of clothes, quest items, 1000's of regs and so on.

Johnwick and Grumpy Krabnevir like this.
  9. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

The problem of near zero quality pvp in this game has never been a lack of workable ideas, but rather a lack of implementation. The majority of people interested in the promised robust pvp systems in this game left long ago, they are not coming back.

Vaiden Luro and FBohler like this.
  10. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

But new ones come in quite frequently, so if they can finally get this **** together, we will have a new breed of non-pissed off pvpers who will enjoy the game. I know something is the works, it just needs to get finished so we can enjoy the system. And for Those who are gone and won't come back? Who cares? They don't exist anymore right? Not like they are the only ones who were ever gonna be interested in it, but they have very specific demands that might never be met and will always be mad.

That idea of fun PvP is clearly not for everyone, and if it is yours, I think you'll just keep getting disappointed. I know for a fact if I'm to lose all my whole corpse every damned time, I'm never getting into it, because gear is super important to the strength of someone, but skill is too, so if I now want to get into PvP, I would need to wear sub par armor that I'm willing to risk, which means I lose a lot of power against other players, which means I'm even more prone to losing, and probably losing too fast to learn anything. If I don't learn, how can I ever get better to actually participate?

Ransom was already an idea many disliked, how would full loot make it better? It won't, a circle of 4 or 5 hard-core people will enjoy it for a little, and then get bored and move on, and no one will ever participate again.

The problem with PvP does not lie in the actual risk right now, it lies in its non-existent reward, and until a system is rewarding enough for people to actually want to chose between a pvp scene or a PvE scene, the problem will remain.

Vaiden Luro likes this.
  11. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

If you say so . . . . . somehow I never hear about the population growing, only shrinking.
    This part is true, but judging by past actions of the devs, what faith would anyone have that any future actions are on the horizon. Doesn't matter much what they are working on now, the people it would have attracted have left, and they don't advertise/market sota anyway, so how would any new people hear about it?

Johnwick and FBohler like this.
  12. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

100% agree with you, although with as much balancing as they have been doing this year, I feel like it's fine they don't advertise right now, once they are done with all the big bandaid ripping, then they should go all out on advertising.

FBohler and Anpu like this.
  13. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

Any guesses as to when that might be? I don't understand why they are still bandaid ripping, it's been under development for 10 years, released for 8 ish years. Do you think they are getting close? Asking for a friend . . . .

Johnwick and FBohler like this.
  14. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

With the work Elgarion has been doing (which probably involves bits from everyone here and there), I think it's close. Arties, gems and jewels are done almost entirely, food got a huge pass, they are now on potions, and Combat is receiving some tweaks and new skills for under utilized trees and skills (we found at least 2 new confirmed skills on QA, and Chris hinted about a few others last friday).

I don't know how much more they want to do, but I think the end of the year should be in a fairly balanced state, as long as they finally fix the Bard tree (I'm sure many in the PvP scene are eager for this one).

Anpu likes this.
  15. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

Thanks, it's good to know that after 8 years of release and watching 99.3% of the original supporters leave that they are on the cusp of being complete and balanced and ready to go. Do you think Chris will do an official 're-launch'? you know, for the publicity?

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

That's way past anything I could speculate on, but it could be a good idea, maybe?

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I think throughout this year's releases we will be seeing many exciting additives and improvements which will cause our game to begin speaking for itself. That is to say that to announce a re-launch within any part of our coming game improvements and additives could also have reviews re-broadcasting their same "this game will never make it another year" headines, without just cause. Those are just my predictions and feelings on the subject of re-launches, because there's no ethics in gaming journalism.

I think our game will start speaking for itself through it's fans which may be showing that advertizing medium's usefulness through current player numbers rising.
    There's allot of new ideas coming out of our development team and it shows.

Remember back when they were mentioning PvP and things we have yet to see, and there you can find out what's in store.
    I don't currently have time to track those vids and posts down right now, but I do remember it was some really good stuff they were saying.
    [​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~

18. Johnwick

Johnwick Avatar

Well the best part of it this game is pvp mostly voluntary, so if you get into it you specifically asked the oracle to stop protecting you. Granted there are some quests that make you go into pvp, But that was not rules asked for by pvp. That was by game design. I don't have a problem going to make new armor etc.. since you can be gm in anything, and I'll just make some new armor, and stay out of pvp until I've made my new armor! I can even make "less than" armor and still do good in pvp, because I can gm any skill at anytime.
    With that point stated I hope something becomes more involved with the pvp side of things in this game. Pretty much everything is made for non pvp, single,player, play with friends. Full loot makes people have to craft more or buy more from other players etc.. I think the pvp crowd would be more happy if there was more to it. I enjoyed getting those special items/ gold from my attacker! This is just my personal opinion. I understand that the majority people in this game would not agree with my opinion and I respect that, but in turn my opinion should be just as respected.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    FBohler and Time Lord like this.
  19. Elrich Skychosen

Elrich Skychosen Avatar

I have an idea was wondering what people thought.
    Not sure if it’s viable but…

what if players could create their own loot tables? For example, let’s say in PVP, when you are killed you will always drop 10% of your gold not to exceed your AL x 2. That way there is always risk of losing something but shouldn’t amount to a whole lot. In addition to that when you make your own loot table you would have a GUI that would show body parts with the %chance of them to drop and a gold value associated with it. (I know you probably can’t sell another players head for gold but…) you could in its place opt to put anything in its place as long as it met or exceeded the gold value. This way players could create their own loot tables. Thus, if you don’t want anyone to have your head, the item you chose would drop in its place. It would default back to your head afterwords and you would have to choose something else. Again it could be anything as long as what you chose equaled the value assigned to the body parts and only the gold would have 100% chance to drop everything else would be % based so you wouldn’t constantly be losing stuff. There would also always be a chance to gain something even if it is a rusty iron sword you get from low level mobs.

for example I dont want to give away body parts and I want to show case or giveaway some items I have crafted:
    adventure lvl =100
    I would drop
    200gold
    % chance of a bronze Halberd + 10 instead of head
    % chance of 100 Granite instead of whatever other body part and so on and so forth

I expect that a lot of players wouldn’t care about the body parts bit, but I don’t want anyone to have my head…

just an idea that maybe fun to fine tune, tweak, or laugh at.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.