1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Make experience gain speed not dependent on pool size.

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Tahru, Sep 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

We can agree to disagree I suppose. I value the quality of gameplay more. And for me the quality of gameplay is the intuitive one of choosing what ever skills I want to level in the moment and leveling them in the field without worrying about a BS mechanic that should have never been exposed to the players in the first place.

The good news about my request is that it does not break the gameplay for people that like the way it is.

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You are not being penalized for not building a large pool. Everything is tempered by how fast you can earn XP. It doesn't matter that one player has a million XP in their pool and another has ten thousand. You have to earn that XP in order to put it into skills. You're focusing on a non-issue.

FrostII, Anpu and FBohler like this.
  3. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

If you are correct, then this thread was a waste of my time and will just be ignored. It could be ignored anyway, and I am cool with that. But I do believe I am correct in posting it as I would really prefer not to bother.

However, if I am not correct and this is a non-issue, let me formally apologize to you and @FBohler and whoever else that reads it for wasting their time.

FrostII likes this.
  4. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

BTW: to @Barugon and @FBohler, I knew I was wrong to tell you to bugger off. It was just I could tell this was mostly a communication issue and a lot of times that gives others the opportunity to troll-in and may a big deal out of chicken soup. I knew that I was not asking for anything that would cause harm to anyone in the game and I was not wanting to make this a trolling opportunity. Anyway, sorry about not displaying due respect, it was a poor choice on my part.

FrostII likes this.
  5. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Setting aside materials and reagents, if you're just trying to get points into a skill, there is no advantage to not having it training in combat so that points will be distributed to it at every opportunity. Not only does it take more time to save up the xp before distributing it, but it's also a little bit less efficient, because you'll have more dead xp in the next skill level past the desired level due to the higher transfer cap. A dummy makes it easier to distribute from an existing pool, but it doesn't create any incentive to build a pool.

Personally, I think that the time investment that goes into killing things is enough and that distributing points should be completely trivial.

FrostII, Anpu, FBohler and 1 other person like this.
  6. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

If you were correct in this, I would not bother to post. I have years in this game (as do you) and could barely make it past level 50 in most things until I decided to give in and play the experience pool game. I think that is f'd up. Why should any avatar give a crap about an experience pool? I am not saying people should level without experience, I am saying it is wrong to have to actually change your play style to work is pools, and more importantly not intuitive.

7. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Look i get what you're complaint is, and also the reason for your post. I only jumped in to correct a very confusing factor of leveling up skills.

The only point I was trying to make, is you should never build up your pool just to pump it into a skill unless it gives you a reason too. Crafting skills for example give you a HUGE reason to do that because every craft you get more xp into your producer skills. But for normal adventure skills that isn't the case. There is no reason for anyone to build up a bunch of adv xp and then go sit at a dummy and train something like Thrust. Thrust should be on while you are using it in game fighting mobs.

My only real point was that a player that spends time hitting a practice dummy will have less experience and overall power then someone that just always kills things and levels up during that time. The big xp pool only helps when you are trying to mitigate materials in crafting or maybe casting a summon.

Anpu, Lazlo and Tahru like this.
  8. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I'm definitely correct, but I do agree with the sentiment that spending a bunch of time on point management is kind of lame and I think the system could be a lot better.

I like the general notion of being able to accumulate and distribute xp, but I don't really understand why the distribution part should ever be a chore. I don't see why you couldn't just skill up at trainers or just at will if you've already done the thing which is combat.

Another thing to consider is that one of the biggest strengths of SotA is that you can try out different sets of skills with the experience you've gained without having to start all over. The more of a chore that skilling up is, the less relevant that feature of the game is. While it's a lot better than re rolling, spending a bunch of time grinding skill ups to try out different things is a pretty boring speed bump.

Adam Crow likes this.
  9. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Obviously you want to increase your crafting without using silver ingots. But for most adventure skills, if you store up your pool and then dump it in you are literally sending your xp into a dead zone for a bit until it gets applied to your skill. So instead of the xp working for you, it's just sitting there building up doing absolutely nothing to your character. If you change that arrow to green and start gaining, your character is improving and using the xp!

10. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Hmmmm... you might be on to something here. Maybe a gold sink to use the xp we have accumulated?

Lazlo likes this.
  11. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Your are right @Adam Crow , it is confusing. I get it that the closer you get to a D&D game, the more confusing it is going to be. I guess I just can't get over having to add this pool to my calculus or be seeming forever at a level where I don't feel useful. I actually don't complain about using lots of resources like silver and having to go into the same scene over and over again. But here is the thing... If I play the pool game and just maintain all my skills for a few weeks do as I normally do, and I take a dedicated day, I can actually save a ton of ingots and hence time gathering them and level sooner on top of that. I think 5 silver should give be the same mastery gain independent on whether I have 1 or 14 million in a pool.

@Laslo, you are absolutely correct that "one of the biggest strengths of SotA is that you can try out different sets of skills with the experience you've gained without having to start all over". But that should not be at the determent of normal game play. So I am only suggesting that if you want to transfer points between skills, it is a potion or similar mechanic narrowly targeted at that.

All I want is an equal playing field.

12. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Your going to have to be a bit more specific here. We already have obsidian potions of guidance, they can be used to move millions of xp from one skill to another very easily. What exactly are you asking for?

13. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Please explain this to me. We have explained why this isn't the case already but I think you are missing it. How is there possibly a penalty for people that don't build large pools? It gets applied depending on how much you have. So if you store instead of applying it, you are literally just choosing to wait to use your xp.

14. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

You can either wait to use it. Or use it while you earn it.

THERE IS NO BENEFIT TO HITTING A TRAINING DUMMY. you are literally adding in an extra step that doesn't need to exist. Hitting a training dummy uses skills that burn xp... but hitting a mob and killing it also earns xp and burns it at the same time...........................

15. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

This is not an argument. It's fact

16. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I'm not trying to be a dbag here. Just trying to help

17. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Frankly a potion may be enough. I don't know really. What I do know is that there was initially likely a reason why they gave an advantage to larger pool sizes, which was definitely not to punish normal game play. The only thing I could think of was the case of players wanting to transfer experience between skills. So I am not uber focused on how to resolve it as much as I am saying there are much easier ways to solve that and not punish people that choose to play the game ignorant of pools. I would not even complain about a straight-up exp swap between skills with the potion of unlearning. I am not looking to harm anyone.

If you have a larger pool it will be applied at any skill at a MUCH faster rate. This has already been established. So you can (1) consider it as a benefit to having a larger pool or (2) a penalty for not having a larger pool. Since experience pools are not actual an immersive part of this nor any other game. I view it as number 2.

18. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

That's the thing tho... if you play ignorant of pools you are fine. It works perfectly. When the pool is big it distributes more points and when it's small it distributes less.

FrostII likes this.
  19. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

The thing I don't really understand here is that I asked for "equal" skill leveling independent of pool size. That doe snot harm anyone. I did not ask to shrink nor grow leveling speed. This is a benign ask to fix a significant game play problem that is casing me personal dissatisfaction with my Sota experience. I don't want to worry about exp pools. It is cool if they are there, but it not cool that I progress at 10% the rate of people that do care. I am only asking for fairness.

And it does not work perfectly when you play with people that are not ignorant of the pools that keep exceling faster with much less play time. How am I to keep up and play like a normal person? I am not asking for their experience to be slower as much as I am asking for my experience to be the same.

I have asked this over and over again. If I am not asking for anything to harm anyone, what is the problem here? Why can't I f'n ask to improve the quality of the game for a normal player?

20. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

If I spend 10 hours hunting and my pool grows big in a high xp zone say I gain like 20 mill xp, you are saying I should be able to apply my skills at the same rate as any player who hardly plays and spent same time and got like 2 mil in a low xp zone. So I need wait much longer to apply my xp that we earned in the same amount of time????

Barugon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.