1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Why not a human pet? I'd like one.

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Time Lord, Jan 14, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Why not a human combat pet? I think I'd like one :)

Does that need to be something special or need any special programing? We do have the companions which would seem the same, though they are not on our live server.

Any thoughts out there?
    I'd rather see them falling into the pet catagory, rather than having them an added skill tree.

Maybe similar to our weapons & armor, we could just be able to apply a skin/pattern from the coto shop onto our animal pet to make it apear human?
    ~TL~

Mingo likes this.
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

We do have human pets.... human servants that came with certain pledge tiers.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Yes, sorry, I meant Combat Pet :)~TL~

4. redfish

redfish Avatar

Oh ok...

They were originally considering a hireling mechanic I believe. It would have to work different than animal pets, since you wouldn't tame/feed them, but instead maybe pay them a recurring fee.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Allot of this is about an emotional attachment, in the form of friendship. I personally can't get the same emotional bond with a creature, as I could a human. We have always strived to have a connection with our Avatars, as in, "you are the Avatar", and I think having human pets (or whatever we would call them) would bring a "team" like quality which would aide that feeling.

There's not much difference, if any, when it comes to commands, whether pet or human, so placing them under the control of the same skill tree, with nothing more needing to be added would seem a correct direction for such a thing.

Turning an animal into a human...
    Even if we were only able to apply a skin to an exsisting animal pet, this would accomplish the same thing, yet outfits would seem a natural next step demand, which could also be something cosmetic and possibly sold as unique clothing/skins through our COTO Store. "A pet specific line of skin/clothing styles", much the same as our conversationalist styles.

~TL~

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

I don't know... applying skills like "Obedience", "Collar Recovery", and "Frenzy" to human pets would sound a little kinky.

Besides, I think if you had a friend fighting for you, even if you don't think of him as a hireling per se, he'd ask you for a cut of your loot to have bread and board. Personally, I would have made a system that made animal pet loyalty more dependent on care like feeding (making pet ownership something closer to Tomagatchi or Pokémon) but thats a different issue. I think it gets a bit weirder when you stretch the exact same skills and mechanics to human pets.

I definitely think a hireling system is possible that reutilizes a lot of the same mechanics.

FBohler and Time Lord like this.
  7. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

I might be a bit weird on this, but sounds a bit like slavery, when you mention those "skills".
    * Shrugs*

Anpu and Time Lord like this.
  8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Maybe renaming all those skills or establishing an entire new tree with the exact same skills, yet tweeked just to have a difference. It all comes down to control when keyboards dominate our game. Maybe our individual characters are our slaves and need to be set free to make their own choices... yet that wouldn't be our game.

It's possible that the investment in "gear" would cause an unbalance between hireling and our pets. As Redfish points to, "our human hirelings eat gold?"

What Sean Silverfoot brings up is well cosmetic'ly valid to the venture, yet how or what would or should such a skill tree need to look like?
    ~TL~

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  9. devilronin

devilronin Avatar

they could add enslavement magic for sentient humanoid types(satyr, ghost, ancient mummy people, trolls/ogres, brats)... or a quest to gain favor to add them as on call allies(eso companions)

its been abolished for over 150 years(here on earth), and whats wrong with making bandits do menial tasks>:)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    craftymethod likes this.
  10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Personally, I can't think of a more poisonous direction than to take it that way.

[​IMG]

I know that the game "Elite Dangerous" has slave trade as a commodity, but I can't see that being accepted in our game, as it just doesn't fit.

If they can't be applied skins to our current pets and have their seperate skill tree, then "cohort" seems apropreate if hireling is not.

I can't see players having more than one serogate. Having both a pet and a seperate cohort/hireling is too much, which is why I think the skins are the better solution, as they have something that can have mico-purchased cosmetic accesories/fashion on different purchased skins.
    ~TL~

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  11. Bridge Troll

Bridge Troll Avatar

Human ownership is a definite hit to virtue

FBohler and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  12. redfish

redfish Avatar

He described it as a loyal friend ;)

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

What about our house servents or vendors, or conversationalists?
    ~TL~

14. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

The Satyrs all have humanoid pets. I assume it's not consensual. If we could free them by defeating their masters, would we accept those who offered to join us, or release them?

craftymethod and Time Lord like this.
  15. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

If they fell somewhere respectable within our combat list, then they would be good to hunt with us.
    [​IMG]~TL~

16. devilronin

devilronin Avatar

and those commission free vendors, hmmm, yup, they're slaves

17. Atticus Gryphonheart

Atticus Gryphonheart Legend of the Hearth

They are not slaves, thought of them more as serfs....they are just given enough money to survive and can freely leave at anytime....but as long as they stay under our protection, they have to pay for (rent) the cot they live on, those fancy clothes we give them, and food we provide. Since most of us are landed gentry, this is done by allowing them to work our lands. But in theory, they can pack their bags anytime and find another lord who might be a little more friendly with the terms of staying on their lands.

Sean Silverfoot and Time Lord like this.
  18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

19. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

We literally buy and trade them, and pay no wages for their services. Some even magically lock them in place!
    I think they're slaves :rolleyes:

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Atticus Gryphonheart

Atticus Gryphonheart Legend of the Hearth

True, but at the store when 1st purchase, they look like a contract. I always figured there were stipulation. One of my servant costs me 10% when I sale something...figure he or his family is getting the cash while my other servants are running around in very nice clothe just standing around. In Fact, I never seen my servant Pierre do anything but stand at the entrance of my home and wish me well...next time I see him I need to make certain he start doing some work....tend my freaking crops...that what he should be doing.

Edit..Yup..just visited my property and talked to him...says "rest assured I am tending your property while you are a sire"

Of course, the crops are not tilled...he lied...and I cant do anything about it

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.