Stream Vods - PvP talks from Chris

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Violet Ronso, Nov 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Since there’s no consequences for dying in PvP currently, other that needing to be resurrected, the xp bonus should probably be turned off for now. Just my own personal opinion.

Chiasma and Time Lord like this.
  2. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

As a player that isn't interested in pvp, unfortunately I don't think your ideas really mesh with players that enjoy pvp. I could care less about fishing in this game. The only reason I do pvp fishing events is to get some fights in, so I can learn more about pvp and using my deck.

Wasn't it just last week you were telling me a consumable for double xp locked behind a quest was a horrible idea? And now you want one locked behind pvp and fishing? :eek:

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I think it should just be shut off altogether even if there was a penalty for dying on pvp. I bet most players getting this bonus currently are not interested in pvp at all, so it should be removed in my opinion.

Time Lord, Anpu and kaeshiva like this.
  4. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Yet I just pointed out that 100's of millions of potential gamers enjoy pvp

Time Lord and FBohler like this.
  5. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

What would be kinda cool, would be to add some daily quests in the ruins/shardfalls. These daily quests could give the same sort of exp/gold reward as the existing daily quests (roundabout 50k xp/1000g for the most lucrative ones). Maybe make them a teensy bit better - enough so that a PvPer making their "rounds" could get a decent amount of exp and gold by visiting these scenes, but not so much that its going to be perceived by the non-pvpers as preferential treatment or an obligatory task. Increasing traffic in these areas increases the chance for "action".

For example, an NPC in the shardfall could ask you to fetch somethings from the centre of the crater and bring it back to him. It shouldn't be anything too onerous or more difficult than the equivalent PvE quests. Spose you could also have quests to turn in player hands/skulls/etc. These could of course be "gamed" by killing each other in secret basement duels but you'd still have to go into the actual scene to turn it in ...so its still something. And a way to get rid of this box of Scoffer bones....

You could also have a PvP blessing that involved going and doing something in each of the 6 ruins and then finishing in Blood Bay. Blessing could last a week and give bonus damage/defense against players. Completely unobjectionable buff to the PvE crowd (they aren't missing out on anything) but could be something of interest to habitual pvpers and might even entice newcomers looking to get into PvP, or attending a PvP event, to go get the buff before hand. Again, its creating traffic.

New quest / blessing would of course take dev effort, but I don't think it involves creating nay new -tech- and could be a good start.

Another idea I posted a while ago would be to add some sort of [contraband] loot in open pvp scenes. Contraband loot has a special flag in that it always drops when you die to a player. Contraband loot could be sought after as an xp/gold turnin from various npcs around the world (in the same manner as daily quests like the storehouses, but say, instead of 16000xp per go make it 50k per go due to danger).

The difference is that contraband could be bought/sold/traded as normal, and the turning in could give token currency items for a pvp-themed rewards vendor such as the one that was in the obs. trials. If you make the contraband itself stuff like, I don't know, illegally modified crossbows or illicit drug vials - they could be deco in their own right and be desirable for that purpose. The buyable/sellability of the contraband items gives PvPers a special commodity they can go farm in PvP scenes while looking for action, that PvE players could obtain via the market if they didn't want to go risk it. And because that commodity could be turned in for a 'xp/gold' reward just like the paintings and the arcane catalysts and etc...I expect a lot of folks who don't want to bother would be happy to buy them. You could also add a virtuous and non-virtuous turnin option for these - black market or turn them in to the law. OR make the contraband desired by the aforementioned factions. You could litter the ground with it in these scenes too, or find it when mining nodes, or hidden under cottonbushes! Contraband has so many possibilities. .

Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
  6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

There is actually one quest in a pvp zone that players may or not know of, that’s the quest that rewards you the Judges Wig item. That’s located in Blood Bay.

Time Lord, kaeshiva and Violet Ronso like this.
  7. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

And its dyeable! In outrageous colors! And makes a pattern...!
    WTB more wigs pls.
    [​IMG]

Vaiden Luro, Time Lord, Ancev and 3 others like this.
  8. oplek

oplek Avatar

Looking at the Steam concurrency numbers,
    • Subnautica: ~2300
    • Stardew Valley: ~27000
    • Euro Truck Simulator 2: ~32000
    • Terraria: ~38000
    Shroud's... *checks notes*, 42.9... isn't due to a lack of available non-PVP centric players. It is possible to have a healthy playerbase without requiring some kind of PVP angle. It's hardly mandatory.

... and that's without bothering with the fact that non-multiplayers/PVPs will tend to spread out over a larger number of games, obscuring their true numbers.

There are ... other... factors at play, here, for the player count.

Time Lord and Adam Crow like this.
  9. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I think the XP bonus is needed because you may stop what you're doing to engage in PvP.
    I often unflag because there are some griefers who use tablets of finding just to catch flagged people off-guard. The bonus doesn't pay the hassle in these cases.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

That statistic means absolutely nothing, it’s not accurate in any way, shape or form.

Anyone basing any “fact” on completely inaccurate information is not a fact.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Yes, take a look at the second game on that list. Minecraft has tons of different types of players and games in its online community.

And pvp players buy skins and tons of microtransactions for cosmetic items. How do you think a game like Fortnite makes money? Your being very naive if you think pvp players won't buy things from the coto store. They want flashy rare skins for their gear and weapons. They need a house to display all their skulls too!

And no I don't think this game can compete with those games in that aspect, but it's the same argument you made with Farmville. Only need a tiny percentage of those players to come here to make a difference for us.

12. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Of course it's possible to have non pvp games with great populations. That really has nothing to do with my point. I was just saying it would be very likely that if our pvp was fun and meaningful here, we would have more players... which would generate more money for the game.

Ancev likes this.
  13. Jack SinAssist

Jack SinAssist Avatar

This is all you need to know about PVP...
    [​IMG]

Time Lord and FBohler like this.
  14. One Zero

One Zero Avatar

Interesting discussions. Ok... how about this...implement absolutely no risk or benefit at all from being flagged PVP or killing another player. Nothing. Nothing to gain or lose. No leaderboards either. Simply the psychological aspect of knowing that at any time things could get chaotic and unpredictable (and perhaps fun?). Reputations only.

Time Lord, FBohler and Anpu like this.
  15. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Personally, I feel the PvP bonus xp should be removed (people aren’t actually using it specifically for PvP, they are only doing it for the bonus xp). Body parts can still drop from a kill. And the no ransom remains. You can still have the leaderboard still up. That doesn’t effect anything,

And then we wait….

Chiasma and Time Lord like this.
  16. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

You're in first. Nice job!

FBohler likes this.
  17. One Zero

One Zero Avatar

Where in the hell are Jack and Laz flagged? I would love to have their skulls. Just want to sell them on the vendor to pay my insane taxes. How much could I get for a Laz and Jack skull?

Adam Crow likes this.
  18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Probably a duel.

19. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I think we can all agree that the 20k+ player games are orders of magnitude away from SotA's concurrent player numbers

Adam Crow likes this.
  20. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

Adam Crow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.