Catnip Games Monthly Fishing Tourney

Discussion in 'Recurring Player Events' started by Elgarion, Apr 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrs99

jrs99 Bug Hunter

Respectfully requesting M'hul Island be put on the Saltwater only list.
    ... after this Release that is :)

Sean Silverfoot, Sonja and Winston like this.
  2. Winston

Winston A Data Guy Moderator SOTA Developer

Thanks! I added your town for Saltwater only in the "Added to POT registry (rotation) list:" town registry page:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-monthly-fishing-tourney.163078/#post-1285057

For other towns, I'm not starting a general re-registration list (yet), but I do want to figure out which towns are active with respect to supporting the fishers and anglers (setting proper water type, perhaps run additional events, etc.). So if your town is really interested in fishing, let me know here or in private message.

For Release 100, I hope to have a special set of towns with lots of activity, then return to a normal rotation. Work in progress.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
  3. Sonja

Sonja Avatar

Greetings, Sir Winston! :)

I've always been really interested in fishing since I held my first fishy event three years ago. I also started the Ladies' and Gentleman's Fishing Club of Britannia which held fishy events with maps leading to buried pirate treasure chests to dig up and messages in bottles leading to long lost lover's loot. I've been running an ongoing 500 Crown leisurely fishing event for a year now too.

So, if you want to know who's really interested in fishing, or rather relaxing and chatting with friends, that's me! :p

Yours truly,

Governor Sonja Solar

4. Redhammer

Redhammer Avatar

Greetings Anglers - Good Luck and fish well. Just wanted to let @Winston know I plan to have side fishing events the next time Rock Ridge hits the list (think it was the next cycle but not sure at this point) but can't wait to see the next list. Would be cool to get Saltwater also...

Sonja, Past Blue Ribbon, Anpu and 2 others like this.
  5. Winston

UPDATE ON R99 TOWNS:

POTs - removed Falling Waters Fortress and Krabnevir - they were not set to Fetid Water type.

UPDATE on selecting POTs for R100.

I am looking for active POTs for R100 freshwater type. If interested, please post here or reach me via Forum PM/Conversation.

I also want to hold Lava fishing in two or more POTs rather than adventure scenes (have plenty of lava pools - how many? I don't know). Same thing reach me please.

NOTE TO POTs ABOUT WATER TYPES: For R100 (and beyond), I have to verify the water type is correct for each POT (freshwater for R100) at least 5 days before R100 goes Live. If not correct, or corrected right away, I have to remove the POT from the tournament list for that release. This includes POTs for Lava Fishing if I use POTs.

Why? I am adding some Tournament in-game information into the R100 release that goes into the Release updates/patches, and I don't want to force a patch after the release to correct the information.​

EVENTS IN POTS: I'd like to see fishing or other type events in those POTs as a special edition of the Fishing Tournament for R100. Let's make things fun and interactive in your towns.

NOMINATE YOUR POT: I already have some POT governors/points of contact reaching me and I'm starting a list of such towns. This is for Freshwater POTs and Lava POTs (if we test this to be feasible). Towns are not selected yet. Also, I can have more than 6 POTs for freshwater. I can increase the number of POTs for R100 Special Edition, maybe up to 10 POTs.

TOWN TROPHY IDEA: I am also thinking about a Town Trophy for R100 for the POT that has the most fish caught, or the longest combined length of fish in that town (Freshwater in R100 case), or the most leather boots caught (hah!). I can only do this if:
    1. I have created and tested my automated "counters" for all the POTs in the tournament.
    2. POTs and players think this is a good idea... please point out Pros and Cons!

That's my update. What do you all think?

6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I don’t think lava fishing in a POT could even be reasonable, in that you would have to place a lot of those lava fishing pools, which are expensive and then the POT would also need to have enough deco slots available to even place those.

Sonja, Redhammer and Winston like this.
  7. Redhammer

Redhammer Avatar

Did I hear LAVA fishing in POT's for the Monthly event? I can make that happen in Rock Ridge...Have two large Lava Pools already, would be happy to drop a few more as needed...I would also be happy to do the Freshwater as needed...Just please not every release :) Happy to do my part to make fishing great again... Good Fishing everyone!

8. Winston

If anyone has time, try this out for POT lava fishing (no rewards of course, but I can internally count how many fish caught and by whom to test my data queries).

POT: Midnight
    Lava Fishing Pools:
    • Large: 10
    • Medium: 4
    • Small: 4
    Yes, that's a lot of POT Lava Fishing Pools. Right?
    Also your quest is to find the POT Midnight if you have not already been there. Good luck! Have fun!

[​IMG]

For the current R99 tournament, we are using the adventure scenes for Lava Fishing:

EDIT: Error corrected:
    • K'rul
    • Northwest Blackblade Mountains
    R99 Lava is:
    • Bunker C
    • Etceter Crag Mines
    I "think" even in those Adventure scenes, lava fishing is pretty slow. I tried fishing in them for a moment, and it was hard to find a good spot.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
  9. Lained

Lained Avatar

Here's the areas I prefer though it does require reloading the scene to reset the fishing mesh once you're success chance drops too low.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Redhammer

Redhammer Avatar

@Winston, just so I am in the correct Lava Fishing Spot for R99 (Current) is
    • K'rul
    • Northwest Blackblade Mountains
    Not the locations from the main post
    Bunker C
    Etceter Crag Mines

Not a big deal either way but just want to make sure :)

Thanks and Keep on Fishing!!

Sonja and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  11. Winston

MY BAD! I fixed my post in the reply above where I mis-typed.

Thread start post is correct.

Lava fishing for R99 is in:
    Bunker C
    Etceter Grag Mines

I double checked, the main thread post has Bunker C, Etceter Crag Mines and the second thread has:
    • R99 (Lava Only) 25-Feb-2022 to 31-Mar-2022:
      • Bunker C
      • Etceter Crag Mines
    I'm working on automation so I don't make mistakes. I hate data errors - Enter-once-use-many-times!

Thanks for finding my error!

Sean Silverfoot and Anpu like this.
  12. Winston

R100 Sneak Peak - what do you folks think? - Fishing (and Treasure Hunt) towns/scenes shown in game!!

[​IMG]

This is a planned feature improvement in Release R100 for Scroll to Zone UI showing active Fishing and Treasure Hunt towns/scenes. (not available on QA yet).
    • Use the Scroll for Teleport to Zone to see this interface.
    • The towns will list at the "top" if you checkmark in the upper right "Sort Tournament(s) At Top".
      • If you uncheck that, the tournament towns will sort alphabetically or by summary.
    • The Yellow daily PACU (enhanced fishing) towns always remain sorted to the top.
    • The Blue towns are the Fishing Tournament.
    • The Brown towns are the Treasure Hunt.
    • Like with the PACU towns, undiscovered scenes (? mark scenes) will show up in the above list.
      • When the tournament is not active for those scenes AND you have not visited those scenes (they are still undiscovered by you), they will not show up on your Teleport to Zone list.
      • So visit those undiscovered towns while you can! Fishing or Hunting or not!
    More notes:
    • R99 towns are active until midnight on R100 release day/evening, which is why R99 towns currently show in the window. So when R100 is patched and released, you will still see R99 tournament scenes.
      • At midnight central US time on the Release day/evening, the towns automatically change to the new release tournament scenes.
        • I did remove the non-active R99 POTs that were not set to Fetid water for R99.
    • We cannot indicate "what type of fish" or "what to gather" yet.
      • You still need to come to the forums to see the "WHAT" information for each of the tournament scenes.
    Thoughts?

Sonja, Sean Silverfoot, Anpu and 3 others like this.
  13. Lained

Lained Avatar

Excellent, something I asked for a while back but at the time wasn't feasible so thanks Winston!
    The catnip contests run from midday to midday to coincide with each release.

Edit: The weekly events ran noon to noon and changed when moving to monthly, my bad.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
  14. Winston

Thanks, it was fun teamwork getting this UI to work.

Are you referring to other Catnip contests start and end at midday (what time is that)? Perhaps the contests in your town?

These Catnip Games tournaments (Fishing and Treasure Hunt) change over at midnight the night of the Release Day now to make the automated data queries work most efficiently. Elgarion had them do this for log data extraction (Kibana Elasticsearch logs). The new UI in the client will show exactly when these two tournaments are active and which towns are involved. I hope that will help.

I'm trying to make the dates/times very specific so everyone can convert to their local time zones too. (personally I use Zulu/UTC).

R99 25-Feb-2022 at 12AM CT (00:00) to 31-Mar-2022 11:59 PM CT (23:59)
    R100 - 01-Apr-2022 at 12AM CT (00:00) to 28-Apr-2022 11:59 PM CT (23:59)
    R101 - 29-Apr-2022 at 12AM CT (00:00) to 26-May-2022 11:59 PM CT (23:59)

Great stuff, thanks!

Sonja, Anpu and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  15. Lained

Lained Avatar

To date the catnip fishing and treasure hunts were noon to noon, but I see now you've changed over to midnight going forward. Noon to noon made sense as that's when each release starts.

If the new UI also breaks down by town maybe more participating towns would run side events.

Edit: The weekly events ran noon to noon and it changed when moving to monthly, my bad.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
    Sean Silverfoot, Winston and Sonja like this.
  16. Winston

UPDATE: Here are some plans, particularly for Release 100 Fishing Tournament.
    • I need the selected POTs to change their water types to Freshwater by Monday, 21 March for me to verify.
    • I need 1 more POT to reach me showing interest to be a POT for fishing and maybe adding more events during R100.
    • I added a POT for Lava fishing to see how players like the change, and gather data.
    R100 Fishing Tournament preparation:
    • POTs - I am selecting POTs and scenes for the R100 fishing tournament.
      • Water type: Freshwater for the POTs and must be set and verified SOON - Monday, 21 March.
        • I program the towns into the R100 release patches.
      • 6 POTs selected of 6 maximum - based on their interest, reaching me, wanting to do side fishing tournaments, will set their water type properly, etc.
        • Blackrock Cove (@thradia) (Saltwater - need to change to Freshwater)
        • Brittany Fort (@Sonja) (Freshwater - GOOD)
        • Knight's Watch (@Belladonna Rose) (Saltwater - need to change to Freshwater)
        • Rock Ridge (@Redhammer) (Freshwater - GOOD) UPDATE
        • Novia Market (@Adam Crow) (Freshwater - GOOD) UPDATE
        • PaxLair (@Sean Silverfoot) (Freshwater - GOOD) UPDATE
    • NPC - (not adventure scenes)
      • Harvest (Saltwater)
      • Noreach (Saltwater)
      • Highvale Outskirts (Freshwater)
    • PVP -
      • Libris Ruins (Freshwater) - "crossover" scene with Treasure Hunt (Chaos Plant Pollen)
        • Hunt and Fish in the same place!
      • Verdantis Shardfall (Saltwater)
    • LAVA -
      • Sunless Barrens - "crossover" scene with Treasure Hunt (Sulfurous Ash)
        • Hunt and Fish in the same place!
      • Midnight (POT) (@Time Lord) - plenty of lava pools (go check it out!)
        • NEW idea! You can fish here too for Lava fish for the tournament

In R100: UPDATED Teleport to Zone Scroll UI with Fishing Towns - Currently on QA Server, go check it out!

This image shows the Current R99 fishing and treasure hunt towns. R100 towns will automagically show at midnight on R100 Release evening!
    • HINT: this means, when R100 goes live, you still have about 15 hours left to Surge To Win R99 Tournaments!

[​IMG]

Fishing Tournament Leaderboards:
    Clearer contest start/end dates/times:
    The date/times for start and end are the same for Fishing as they are for the T-Hunt. They show up on my Leader/Status boards.

For R99, both contests are:

Contest Start:
    25 Feb 2022 at 06:00 UTC
    25 Feb 2022 at 00:00 (12:00 am) CST
    Septembre 28, 638 P.C.​
    Contest End:
    01 Apr 2022 at 04:59 UTC
    31 Mar 2022 at 23:59 (11:59 pm) CDT
    Marse 26, 641 P.C.​
    So check your trophy fish dates too.​

R100 will have clear start/end dates/times too.

Comments? Thoughts?

UPDATE - added Novia Market (Freshwater) to POT list.
    UPDATE - added PaxLair (Freshwater) to POT list.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
  17. Winston

https://sotawiki.net/sota/User:Winston/Fishing_Tournament_Status

New Fishing Tournament leaderboard/status board like the ones I did for Treasure Hunt.
    • Playernames are anonymous - random Furniture names - try to figure out which one you are!
    • I am still verifying data.
    • Take a look and give feedback.
    • I will update at least once per day, more often when I am developing things and doing data runs.
    • Go fishing and see your Furniture Name show up in the last Stage... and also in the 48-hour moving time window. Again, I have to manually upload the data. It is not automatically done (yet!)
    Looks like there is plenty of time to catch more. Contest dates and valid PC dates for your fish are:

Contest Start:
    25 Feb 2022 at 06:00 UTC
    25 Feb 2022 at 00:00 (12:00 am) CST
    Septembre 28, 638 P.C.

Contest End:
    01 Apr 2022 at 04:59 UTC
    31 Mar 2022 at 23:59 (11:59 pm) CDT
    Marse 26, 641 P.C.

[​IMG]

18. Winston

I updated information in this reply above...
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?posts/1340060
    • All R100 POTs (6) selected. 3 still need Freshwater type put on their towns.
    • Fishing Tournament leaderboards are online. Updated a few times per day (manually)
    Getting ready for the R100 tourney and see who wins the R99 tourney!

19. Winston

20. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.