So, NFTs? Yea or nay?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oplek, Jan 22, 2022.

?

NFTs?

1. Yea

5 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. Nay

51 vote(s)
    82.3%
  3. Eh

6 vote(s)
    9.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

Consider the source 'dev'. There really isn't a good track record. This is a shot in the dark and it will fail. I would be surprised if people would be interested in light of the past failures. Trust is almost non-existent.
    Yes. Credibility lost and I doubt there are many left that have trust. It's a shame but that is the state of the thing.

Proteus Tempest and Scanphor like this.
  2. Lained

Lained Avatar

https://twitter.com/@catnipgames/status/1513981875890577418

.dao., smack and Anpu like this.
  3. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

4. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

5. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

I wouldn't be helping them if I thought this was not on the level. I know that may not mean much to you but I know there are people out there who know me very well who that does mean a lot to so I felt it needed to be said. My statement to Todd and Richard from the start was I will help them build something IF and only IF the primary goal was to build an amazing game.

I'll join Ravalox on stream this Friday to chat. I'm sure there are some people concerned but my honest belief is this helps Shroud. I'll chat more about it in the Friday stream.

6. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

The first thing that came into my mind....was the following quote from a smart fellow named Einstein:
    “There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

FBohler, smack, Scanphor and 2 others like this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

That's not a quote from Einstein; it's from George W Bush.

The actual saying is fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
  8. ephialtes

ephialtes Avatar

I love this new age of NFT awesomeness. I really do.
    LB might be a bit early to this party though.

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I wish that game developers were more focused on story and game-play than gimicks.

10. Gwendolyn Obscuro

Gwendolyn Obscuro Bug Hunter

You can add me to the concerned list. I can honestly say I don't care anything about whatever new game LB decides to make and whether or not he believes in the NFT nonsense. But as to "Nothing will change with Shroud" and "I'm still heavily involved in Shroud" we heard a lot of that when Catnip purchased Shroud. I think the sale was a good thing for Shroud and that it is really better off without LB and Darkstarr being very involved anymore but this new game "consuming the bulk of" Atos' time will almost certainly affect Shroud. We already have a small team seemly mostly working part time as it is, I don't see how less time from Atos (and potentially other devs) can possibly be a good thing. And even if this news gets a few more people taking about Shroud it seems like it will be in a 'well that game failed lets see what this new one does' type of a way.

11. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

-
    Interview: Creator Of Ultima Online's Next MMO Leverages Blockchain and NFTs To Allow For Real Ownership Of The World
    https://www.mmorpg.com/interviews/i...ow-for-real-ownership-of-the-world-2000124783

-

FBohler, smack and Barugon like this.
  12. thesometimeslurker

thesometimeslurker Avatar

I really do not think the NFT part is going to do any favors with the new game's reputation...

FBohler likes this.
  13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

FBohler and Wilfred like this.
  14. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

I am pro NFT simply for the ability of artists to finally, after decades of theft (right-click pirates!) now can put a value on their work. Other than that... I am not sure.

.dao., Ancev and Anpu like this.
  15. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

If Richard is involved surley the new game will exist in a New Brittania cannon world?

We could trade assets for access to this new world from our Ports otherwise the new IPO is going to have to go over the same ground sota has.

16. Mapper

Mapper Bug Hunter

I dont care for this new game, what really concerns me is Chris has been spending "the bulk of his time" on it (actual quote from his Twitter).

I sub multiple accounts and buy COTOs very regularly on the basis I was supporting the team including him who I thought was working full time on SOTO. To hear he is barely spending any time on SOTA essentially is disappointing. I am going to have to refrain from any future purchases until I hear whats going on. It really sounds like a maintenance mode status for SOTA.

Gravidy, Scanphor, Cordelayne and 2 others like this.
  17. oplek

oplek Avatar

Unfortunately, it doesn't achieve the stated goals. You can still right click, save as. Even if you buy the NFT, you get no copyright, you get no ownership. You get the rough equivalent of a QR code that points to somewhere an image is hosted. You just have to hope that the rest of the world agrees with you that this means it's yours.

Even when the system seems to be used as intended, the actual payout to the artists is little-to-none, most of the time.

It'd be just as meaningful to just PayPal the artist some money. But that doesn't have speculation potential, so it's not interesting.

Cordelayne likes this.
  18. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

I, for one, don't understand all the negativity.

vulcanjedi and craftymethod like this.
  19. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

NFTs have a bad rep
    Last game LB worked hard on (SotA) almost feels on life support right now
    The main Dev of SOTA is now spending the bulk of his time on this new project
    NFTs have a bad rep

I for one don't care. IF this project ever sees the light of day, I know I'll be very cautious about it, and wont be helping fund this new project at all if the time comes, I will wait for it to actually come out and get a chance to try it before anything, but whatever made Shroud of the Avatar the game it is is IMO no thanks to Richard or anything, so yeah, no high hopes there for me.

Dinsoo, Scanphor, Cordelayne and 4 others like this.
  20. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

What will be the Difference if both are "In the Spirit of Ultima?"

I've changed my mind on this, as I recal this same thing talked about by Richard Garriott before. Portalarium's name even leant to that very purpose, a gaming company that opened portals to many worlds (games).

If this is where "he's going", then is Portalarium going there? I suspect not. Is Catnip & Shroud of the Avatar going there? I suspect not, which could lead back to seedinvest shares being somehow at issue.

I'm not saying that any of what I've just said has anything to do with what I just read (see below) but I do know that I heard Richard mention this before while Shroud of the Avatar was Portalarium's.
    https://www.mmorpg.com/interviews/i...ow-for-real-ownership-of-the-world-2000124783

https://massivelyop.com/2022/04/12/...ollowing-the-failure-of-shroud-of-the-avatar/
    DeMeta is a newly formed MMO studio and a subsidiary of DeHorizon (https://www.dehorizon.fun) backed by Griffin Gaming Partners, Gumi Cryptos Capital, Yield Guild Games, Animoca Brands, DragonFly, Sfermion and Everest.

I can't help but have many wonders in my thoughts about this, having been here in Shroud of the Avatar from long before R1.

I don't think there's anything going on here that's in any way nefarious, I just think "the team" (the team I choose to call Portalarium because of all their long held connections with each other) ... the team has been in uncharted waters from the very beginning, beginning with "New Britannia". I mention that name, because this new endevor of theirs is clearly being heralded as another game "in the spirit of Ultima", as Shroud of the Avatar has also always been said to be.

I do wonder if any of the suggestions in world building that came from our SOTA community will now go into this new game, some that were not placed or haven't been placed into our own game, Shroud of the Avatar.

How many players do you think from Shroud of the Avatar will migrate to this new game?

I have often said recently, that I've been building a life boat through playing offline. I do think Shroud of the Avatar will continue, but now I'm thinking that the life boat I've been dreaming of, may be this new upcoming game... and all that wondering I have, is now maybe wondering if I will have time for 2 games "both in the spirit of Ultima".

No matter what happens, I do wonder what difference there will be between the two.

Maybe they'll share some programing :) (copy paste?)
    If they share some of ours, maybe they will in turn share some of theirs?

Our game has always been in uncharted waters.
    [​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
    Adam Crow and Violet Ronso like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.