1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Somethin' to speed up crafting

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Cora Cuz'avich, Apr 25, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I took a few months off; partly for a break, and partly because I was busy with real life. I had planned to come back in late March, after the RL stuff died down.

Then I logged in.

And then I checked my mail. And logged back out.

To fully restock my potion shops (which have been picked clean while I was away) I'm looking at probably fifteen-twenty hours of hitting the craft button.

Which is why it's almost May and I haven't returned.

I don't know exactly what form it should take. Obviously, insta-crafting is out, especially with potions. But something. Maybe a max batch size of 99 or something, at least then I have long enough between batches I can get other things done.

I don't know. I just know every time I think about getting back into the game, I end up doing something else.

Torrell, Wilfred, FBohler and 4 others like this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yeah well sorry you stepped away again. We did get some batch sizing for some things. Elgarion did a bunch of great things Also for us from new items he added and fixes he did. We still have some devs working hard for the game. Hopefully your request for batching doesnt go un-noticed. These are important QOL features we need. Perhaps @Devs can add this to the list of improvements to implement. Take good care and hopefully more and more is still coming for this game

FBohler, Mal Hari and FrostII like this.
  3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Amen, @Cora Cuz'avich and +100
    The tedium of crafting is a prime reason people come and then go - always has been.
    Please fix this @Chris @DavidDC @Ravalox

4. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I agree with you completely, and I think the solution to this problem already exists for scrolls. They just need to add batches of 12 to some more crafting recipes. Potions seem like an obvious choice for bigger batches. And also crafting components, especially cooking jumps to mind - Pie dough, cooking oil, etc would all make sense to have the choice to craft batches of 12 instead of single items. Seems like it would be pretty simple to implement as well.

FrostII, Torrell, FBohler and 3 others like this.
  5. Lained

Lained Avatar

Having a batch version for an increasing number of recipes seems like a way to double the size of the recipe book and clutter the book/crafting station interface.

ConjurerDragon, Mal Hari and Anpu like this.
  6. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Hasn't that ship already sailed? Seems pretty cluttered already. There is a search option now at least.

7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I don't know that batch recipes are the answer. The idea is good, but unless they give the same xp as making x number individuals, it'll always be a choice. Which isn't inherently bad, but (to me at least) it feels like choosing which kind of fun I'm not having. Though, I also realize it might be the only solution the devs will go for.

kaeshiva, Anpu, FrostII and 1 other person like this.
  8. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

It's not the same with the scrolls, because you don't get the chances for the exceptional crafts that give more xp. But I think it's a pretty reasonable compromise. The single craft method yields more producer xp and takes much longer, but if you just want some product for vendors, you can go the batch method.

kaeshiva likes this.
  9. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

Your exceptional rate is unchanged, so that averages out to be the same thing whether doing singles or batches (3x base XP per craft average if you're at the max exceptional rate of 50%), though the 12x scroll recipes give 10x the XP of a single scroll recipe, so there is still some compromise.

Anpu and Adam Crow like this.
  10. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Ahhh ok. I knew you got less from the batches, but forgot exactly how it worked. Thanks for clarification.

Coswald_Dirthmire likes this.
  11. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Wait, is that right? If it's 10x, but you're making only 4x the item, isn't that a bonus?

(Or, do you mean it's 10x base xp/3?)

12. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Wait, that's scrolls. I was thinking potions.

13. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

BUT, if potion recipes were worked the same way, that would be acceptable, I think. That is, if you got 1k xp for the standard recipe (which makes 3) and you got 3333 xp for a batch recipe that makes 12, I think it would be a reasonable compromise. But, what I expect, is they would just bump the batch recipe to be one level higher than the base, which would likely be far less xp than making them via the base recipe.

14. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

The solution is simple:

Add Kobold Automated Crafting Stations to the COTO shop.

What do they do? Produce anything you want in a time frame. Yield less XP but at the huge advantage of not requiring the player to be online.

One week off? No problem, add a week worth of raw materials to the station and then come back for the results and (limited) XP.

To avoid exploits, add an attenuation system just like that one for adv XP.

Torrell, Sentinel2 and Adam Crow like this.
  15. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I don't know about simple, recipes for batches of 12 would be much simpler. But I think we would all love a kobold crafting machine, I'm 100% on board with that. Even if it only worked when you are online, it would still be a huge benefit, since you could do other activities while processing.

FBohler likes this.
  16. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Interesting solution. Maybe?

I dunno. I have to admit that crafting in most MMO's doesn't take the time I've seen in SOTA. It would be nice if a Master of any skill could craft something quicker than the novice.

FBohler likes this.
  17. Vaentorian

Vaentorian Localization Team

I'd back this if it gave zero XP (you're not doing the crafting, I don't see why pressing "start" on an assembly line would help you develop your skill). It would be mass production giving you larger volumes of cheaper goods but taking the crafter out of the equation. I'd also propose that the longer you leave the machine running unattended past X hours, the greater chance of it going wrong, ruining some of the materials and/or products as well as halting production until fixed - even the best machines need to be maintained and monitored.

Regarding the OP, there's already a skill for crafting speed but I agree it's underwhelming, I'd like to see that scaled up first and better leverage of batching skill/batch recipes as others mentioned. (Edit: okay the speed skills are for refinement, not alchemy which could do with having it added, as well as improving the effect of those skills across the board)

Last edited: May 2, 2022
  18. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I do this thing where I hire new/low level crafters to bulk process all this stuff, or at the very least, some of the tedious pre-combines. They get exp, I get free labor. I even sometimes nominate an employee of the month and have been known to "pay" productive volunteers with prizes such as prosperity tools and such.

Putting that aside, slightly less exp-lucrative batches seem the answer for high volume consumables and there is the existing scroll precedent to build from.

I think Cora however you hit upon a larger issue, for me anyway, and that's the tedious retrieval of things from mail and relisting of a bunch of things in tiny stacks. Its always been offputting and a lot of time gets soaked up in "vendor admin." There was a beautiful write-up done a couple of years back by Vladimir Begernot about streamining the player vendor experience that addresed a lot of this, sadly nothing came of it. But I think that's the bigger issue, for me anyway, than the crafting of inventory - at least for that, you get experience. Or you can outsource. Or you can do it while watching TV or playing another game in another window. Fighting with the vendor system is the far bigger frustration for me.

19. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Seriously. The ability to sell or buy partial stacks similar to how npc vendors would would be game changing for everyone. The ability to sell a bag full of items is another option that's been sought after for years.

That write up Vlad did was exceptional, sad it was just ignored. Still relevant after all this time- https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1Fmre-08uMn7RBMdhj_d-m93TzAsdKsffKEFfE70v2xc/mobilebasic

Wilfred and majoria70 like this.
  20. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Partial stack sales never really thrilled me, but I see the utility. Though, if a by-product was that "empty" stacks remained in inventory (hidden from other players, ofc) waiting to be replenished, that would be super convenient.

With all the UI stuff Devilcult has been implementing, I suspect he might get around to that UI at some point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.