Did anyone catch this news story?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Proteus Tempest, Apr 14, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Probably because those sites twist everything Portalarium said to mean "promise" and then threw a fit when it didn't happen exactly as they had it envisioned in their heads.

2. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

So kickstarter 'promises' are not promised but only wish list items? No need to rehash all that. Just wondering now (since you mentioned it) what a promise means to you.

FBohler likes this.
  3. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

This new venture (I think it's being called "Effegy") has Todd Porter from Ultima 6 working on it, which gives me allot of hope for that project's success.

SOTA isn't yet at the half way point in it's development, which I'm certain will get completed, just maybe not on the same timeline as games that were not player funded.

I think this new venture will aide SOTA in many ways we may not yet understand.
    ~Time Lord~

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  4. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

cause they are toxic. go check out the forums and see what I mean. Just go ahead and try and post a re
    Anything that was no delivered on for backers was offered another unique compensation substitute of great or equal value. That is still no reason for a site journalist to take their rage to troll constantly. Try going to either one of those sites and write a nice review on what you do like and watch what happens. Pure toxic :) and by the same people who also are some of the same people that write the articles and troll on other sites. anything that comes out every release is apparently bad according to them.. almost like they are trying to sell that idea. new people that post get slapped down. its not just shroud if you look around the posts and the likes :) no moderation.

5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Do you see any immediate similarities with what's been seen thus far?

Necro Virus in the modular set up of it, I think sort of fits what little we've seen of "Effegy" (if that's what this new gaming venture is called).
    http://boardcraft.com/employee/todd-porter/

Many times in video gaming our style games, there's a cookie cutter accepted way "we expect" something to look like. SOTA broke that industry standard cookie cutter mold a bit and that's what I expect out of this new venture.

If you saw the "pirate ship game" that Chris worked on a long while ago, that broke the standard cookie mold of PC gaming.

Placing two and two together, it's not difficult to see how such gaming creators will continue challenging us and the industry to change from what we and the industry (which inclueds the gaming review industry) may be comfortable with. When people are uncomfortable it shows and often times through endless complaints that someone is doing almost everything the wrong way. What they are really saying, is that "I'm not comfortable with that", which is depicted in much of what's been said here of NFT's, which is just one of the unique elements of the game that's being made (based on my suspicions) ...

I know there's no down side for sota in any of this anywhere at all.
    [​IMG]
    :rolleyes: But then again, "what do I know hu?" :rolleyes: ~Time Lord~ ;)

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You're right, there's no need to rehash all that.

7. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

There are other sites that are reporting on SOTA? I haven't seen an article about SOTA aside from MOP in quite a while now, and MOP only bothers because a certain dev decided to make it personal and now MOP and their audience derive a fair bit of enjoyment by dissecting SOTAs missteps.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
  8. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

That's a lot of detail for not visiting those 'sites'. I think it became a tit for tat relationship between these 'sites' and Port. That's how I see it. I see disappointment and a feeling of betrayal. It isn't their fault this game is failing and it is fair for them to opine. I commiserate with many of the people who feel that betrayal. The ban hammer was heavy for many. What do you expect? Hey, at least you are happy, right?

9. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

<starter pistol>

Lock thread because nobody can dance the way you do. <-----I'm writing this song.

10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

1) https://ultimacodex.com/2022/04/ric...d-porter-are-creating-a-new-nft-based-mmorpg/
    2) https://www.gamedeveloper.com/pc/richard-garriott-creator-of-ultima-is-making-an-nft-powered-mmo

:rolleyes: Like these articles, there's not much being said at all in them about the game itself, which will be the driver for all this hoped for futuristic, new wave NFT Blockchain success that's being touted.

The success depends on the game itself, yet it's being placed forward as it's the NFTs which will be the most interesting.

I can't see myself staying with a game that's a form of capitallist cannibalism without some more mind-game in it other than just a way to gamble through investment to try and re-coup what a player puts into it.

There's got to be more to this that's not yet been reported on, which is the guts of this new game other than adding dollar signs to everything easier.
    ~Time Lord~

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
    Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  11. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I'll be surprised if this thread reaches page 5 before being locked down :rolleyes:

Cordelayne, Time Lord and Enfo like this.
  12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I'm betting there won't be much of a game to talk about for the next few years. News will most likely be released on it just enough to keep it in the news for the next 5 years.

I thought Ultima 6 was one of the ground breaking of Ultima due to the virtue questions it raised.
    ~TL~

13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

There's really nothing to talk about until they give some details about the game (other than "it will use NFTs").

14. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Unfortunately, due to the nature of NFTs, ensuring people talk about your game, promoting the continual trading of your NFTs to keep collecting commissions, is endemic in the NFT gaming space. So as soon as they start having the slightest news to announce, expect a steady wave of emails and various other promotional activity.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Many early backing players of SOTA came from our culture of selling in-game items, as there is an industry market which gained a great following during the UO years. We hear this being mentioned in the promotional interviews of this new game and we heard the same when SOTA was being early promoted.

I could be wrong but I think I'm right as I do follow monetary trends in the (lets call them) SOTA secondary markets, and I noticed as Time has passed by, "things on those markets continually got cheaper". I also noticed that those who struck while the iron was hot early on in those markets made quite a good profit "on some things". Some things like land placement speculation, where the greatest valubles were measured by foot traffic and those greatly value pricings were all in their speculated inflated value due to our world being as small as it was back then. I walk by shaking my head and chuckle now whenever I see a "for sale sign".

Here where I live in S/E Asia, I know of a subculture of youthful adult yuppy gamers who have invested in some game's real estate ("real" being used here as an out of place word). They see their "investment" as having increasing crypto value, much in the same way SOTA's was. But here's the thing, some of those speculators have internet gamer employees who they pay to play games for them, and also an extended network of other gamers who come accross things to turn a profit selling to these employed gamers. It's not a large community, but similar to our own marketeers we have here in SOTA, they all know each other and other similar small rival groups.

:rolleyes: Taking all that I just said into consideration, the question that comes to my mind is, "how do you think or anyone think this new Lord British game will effect our over-all secondary market values?"

In many ways it's a game's secondary market which reveals it's true livelyhood.
    [​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~:D

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
    Cordelayne likes this.
  16. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

That's the twist with NFT games, the company sucks on that livelihood as a source of funding, and depending on how hard the suck, the percent they take, I think many companies will find they have sucked so deeply that they kill their secondary markets entirely.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:D~TL~:thumbs up:

18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Could this new "NFTgame" be the reason that Shroud went to no-trade items?
    This new game didn't happen overnight. Why did our items go "no-trade?"
    ~Time Lord~

19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Because reselling crown store items doesn't help support the game.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Yeah, but having those sales support the game skews the dev's priorities worse than making crafting trash items be the best way to grind skills skews a game's economy.

kaeshiva likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.