6/30 to 7/14ish Help Choose a Channel Points Respec for Coswald!

Discussion in 'One-Time Player Events' started by Gwendolyn Obscuro, Jun 29, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gwendolyn Obscuro

Gwendolyn Obscuro Bug Hunter

For those who are not aware, @CoswaldDirthmire regularly streams Shroud of the Avatar on Twitch. On many twitch channels, including Coswald's, stream viewers earn channel points which can be redeemed for various rewards set up by the streamer. Two of the possible channel point redemptions on Coswald's stream allow the redeemer to choose a build/ which specializations Coswald will play for a period of two weeks. The number of channel points required is dependent on how interesting, complicated or torturous the suggested build is.

Which leads me to this contest... I have a pile of channel points and want to let forum users and other twitch viewers help me pick a build to force Coswald into! For approximately two weeks this thread will be accepting build suggestions and commentary on those suggestions. Then between July 14th and July 17th (exact date to be determined) there will be a vote held on Coswald's stream for viewers to choose a winning build and for the channel points to be redeemed! The winner will have their build played by Coswald for approximately two weeks and will also win 100,000 in game gold! In the case of a tie the build to be redeemed will be chosen at random and the gold will be split amongst the winners.

There will be a limit of two build suggestions per person. For the sake of organization and discussion please format your build suggestion as shown:

Build Name - So commenters have an easy way to refer to your suggestion.

Build Specs - Choose up to 2 specializations and if less than two are listed then specify if Coswald can choose the remaining specs himself or needs to leave them open/unspec'd.

Build Summary - Tell us the general flavor of the build you want to see. If Coswald finds the build interesting and friendly enough he will try to stick to your general intentions.

Build Rules - This is my favorite part and is what really makes the channel point redemption interesting. What restrictions do you have for Coswald during this build? The 'meaner' the build the more air tight you need to make the rules. Depending on the build suggested Coswald will be doing his best to make you happy or doing his best to find some loopholes! This is also where forum discussion can help- if you think of a rule that would fit well with a suggested build post it in the comments and maybe the original suggester will modify their submission to include your rule.

Example of a build I had Coswald respec to previously translated to this format:
    Build Name: Slow Coswald Down
    Build Specs: Heavy armor spec with either shield or earth spec.
    Build Summary: General idea is slow but strong, but you can decide if you restrict yourself from other speed buffs.
    Build Rules: No chaotic feedback, spellbinder stance, berserker stance, reckless stance or anthem of alacrity (except for agriculture purposes)
    I would strongly prefer no swiftness sash or wicked king gems.

(Note that at the time I only had points for the cheaper respec and wasn't sure where the line was between the two options. In this case I have enough points for the more expensive options so list whatever rules you'd like!)

I am looking forward to seeing your suggestions! And whether or not you have any ideas here please tune in to Coswald's stream or some of our other amazing twitch streamers! Twitch streams are a great place to ask questions, learn something new or just provide a bit of background noise while you play shroud!

Fine Print: Coswald reserves some rights for respecs- he will unlearn adventuring skills but not crafting skills, if chaotic feedback is prohibited he will not use it in battle but will still use it for agriculture, depending on if he is using a greater unlearning scroll or multiple lesser ones he may have other skills still trained even if he's not allowed to use them and of course skills only untrain to the level required to learn the skills below them on the skill tree. Gwendolyn reserves the right to modify build suggestions but will attempt to only do so to comply with the intentions of the build.

2. Gwendolyn Obscuro

Just to put all the entries in one post with numbers to aid in voting, see clarifications in thread below and revised summaries in Coswald's post at the end:

Vote "pockets" for
    1) Build Name: Coswald's full pockets
    Build Specs: Any Melee spec, armor, combat configuration, etc is acceptable
    Build Summary: At least 50% over encumbered
    Build Rules: When in combat, must be at least 50% over encumbered. Preferable by large stacks of gold ingots. :)

Vote "chopsticks" for
    2) Build Name: Coswald's chopsticks
    Build Summary: Dual wand little/no magic
    Build Rules: When in combat. Must wield dual wands craft by yourself. Must not cast any spell that could be affect by the wands stats that would effect an enemy. e.g. healing self/pet buffs from the wands are ok. But, a spell crit buff from the wands would exclude casting any spells on an enemy

Vote "shard" for
    3) Build: Parry Moonshine
    Spec: Moon Tactics
    Shards of night.

Vote "untamer" for
    4) Build: The Not-So-Tamer
    Spec: Bard Chaos
    You gotta run a no aggro at all pet.

Vote "mage" for
    5) Build Name: A pure Mage - with fire aversion
    Build Specs: No combat skills at all expect light armor. No bard skills, no taming.
    And just to make it more interesting: No Fire magic

Vote "indestructable" for
    6) Build name: Indestructible only. (Aka Barugon style)
    Gear: only indestructible gear can be used.
    Skills and buffs: all skills, potions, and buffs can be used.

Vote "brawler" for
    7) Build name: Drunken Brawler
    Gear: Any pants. no shoes, no shirt, no weapon.
    Skills: Fists/Pugilism only.
    Must be under the influence of 25 year whiskey in game and hammered IRL as well.
    Goal: To watch Coswald wander Brittania drunk talking smack and trying to fight everything in sight.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
  3. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

Build Name: Coswald's full pockets
    Build Rules: When in combat, must be at least 50% over encumbered. Preferable by large stacks of gold ingots. :)

Build Name: Coswald's chopsticks
    Build Rules: When in combat. Must wield dual wands craft by yourself. Must not cast any spell that could be affect by the wands stats that would effect an enemy. e.g. healing self/pet buffs from the wands are ok. But, a spell crit buff from the wands would exclude casting any spells on an enemy

4. Cowboy Bill

Cowboy Bill Avatar

Build: Parry Moonshine
    Spec: Moon Tactics
    Shards of night.

Build: The Not-So-Tamer
    Spec: Bard Chaos
    You gotta run a no aggro at all pet.

5. Dulayne

Dulayne Avatar

Great idea but also each cast should cost 1 coto :D Just to spice it up

6. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

That's just mean. :D

7. Gwendolyn Obscuro

Clarification: Do you mean he can't let the pet hold aggro but can use say a large cat and use bard skills to make sure the aggro is always on him or do you mean a non-combat pet like a squirrel or a duck?

Coswald_Dirthmire likes this.
  8. Cowboy Bill

Cowboy Bill Avatar

Yes the pet cannot have aggro, he must support and also do dps with bard , bard range would be important and pet speed from my experience w/this.
    It is super fun, my build is "wolf in the storm" air, bard spec and keep my pet huge but he doesn't attract dps and I run at over 16 also avoiding damage.
    The only bard skill i cast w/my build is Anthem. Bc it makes air stuns and my pet better. With 520 dex I can stun about anything but I would like someone to use bard more and make that work, I think it would be very similar.

9. Xithar

Xithar Avatar

Build Name: A pure Mage - with fire aversion
    Build Specs: No combat skills at all expect light armor. No bard skills, no taming.
    And just to make it more interesting: No Fire magic

10. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

For clarification, what is meant by "No combat skills except light armor". You specifically mention no fire/bard/taming, so would something like Ice Arrow or Earthquake be okay?

Loving (some in a more hating way than others) the suggestions so far... this is going to be interesting.

Gwendolyn Obscuro and Time Lord like this.
  11. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Build name: Indestructible only. (Aka Barugon style)
    Gear: only indestructible gear can be used.
    Skills and buffs: all skills, potions, and buffs can be used.

No enchants or masterworks on any gear. Only indestructible items allowed (unworked shroud, heart of sorrows, and mace are allowed).

12. Gwendolyn Obscuro

Thank you for all the submissions everyone! Unless we hear otherwise from Coswald we will be holding the vote during his Sunday Funday stream this Sunday the 17th!

13. Coswald_Dirthmire

Sounds good to me! I've been much busier that normal recently, but very hopeful for a nice extended Sunday stream. I also stocked up on unlearning scrolls during this morning's sales... things are going top get interesting!

14. jrs99

jrs99 Bug Hunter

Build name: Drunken Brawler
    Gear: Any pants. no shoes, no shirt, no weapon.
    Skills: Fists/Pugilism only.
    Must be under the influence of 25 year whiskey in game and hammered IRL as well.
    Goal: To watch Coswald wander Brittania drunk talking smack and trying to fight everything in sight.

15. Gwendolyn Obscuro

hmm.. I don't think we can get away with irl drunk for two weeks, but seems like a good opportunity for some (forced) role-play as a compromise?

Coswald_Dirthmire likes this.
  16. Gwendolyn Obscuro

Unless we hear back from Xithar we will assume all skills from magic trees other than fire are allowed. No use of any skills from bard, blades, bludgeon, fire, heavy armor, polearms, ranged, shields or taming, Not sure if active skills from focus, subterfuge or tactics are meant to be limited but we will assume they are allowed since they were not listed in the post. It would be preferable for the fire tree to be unlearned rather than just ignored since it provides a large amount of fire resist.

Coswald_Dirthmire and Anpu like this.
  17. Coswald_Dirthmire

Ready or not, the time is upon us! Voting will occur on stream today during the fun-run with these final build options:

Full Pockets Encumbrance
    !vote pockets

Build Name: Coswald's full pockets

Chopsticks Melee Wand
    !vote chopsticks

Build Name: Coswald's chopsticks

Parry Moonshine Shards of Night
    !vote shard

Build Name: Parry Moonshine
    Build Specs: Moon/Tactics
    Build Summary/Rules: Shards of night.

The Not-So-Tamer
    !vote untamer

Build Name: The Not-So-Tamer
    Build Specs: Bard/Chaos
    Build Summary/Rules: Must use a pet that does not pull aggro, but which is integral to the build.

Frightened-of-Fire Mage
    !vote mage

Build Name: A pure mage - with fire aversion
    Build Specs: Cannot spec or use Bard, Blades, Bludgeon, Fire, Heavy Armor, Polearms, Ranged, Shields, or Taming.
    Build Summary/Rules: Can use other skills and magics, but absolutely no fire, including resistances!

The Indestructible Build
    !vote indestructable

Build Name: Indestructible only. (Aka Barugon style)
    Build Specs: Any
    Build Summary/Rules: No enchants or masterworks on any gear. Only indestructible items allowed (unworked shroud, heart of sorrows, and mace are allowed). All skills, potions, and buffs can be used.

Drunken Brawler
    !vote brawler

Build Name: Drunken Brawler
    Build Specs: Open, but fists/pugilism only for fighting.
    Build Summary/Rules: Must be under the influence of 25 year whiskey in game and can only use fists while fighting.

Whichever option wins I will double check with the person who devised it to make sure it's executed in the spirit it was intended. Depending on which one wins, I may also cry.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
  18. Gwendolyn Obscuro

Congrats to Asmodi M'hul and his Drunken Brawler build for winning the contest! The next couple weeks should be very interesting on Coswald's stream!

Thank you to everyone who submitted build ideas and to everyone who voted. And of course to Coswald for thinking up the channel point redemption option. This contest has been really fun for me and the build ideas were terrific!

19. Coswald_Dirthmire

Well done Asmodi, and my thanks to everyone for submitting builds and voting. It's already been a lot of fun, so thank you especially to Gwendolyn for having the idea and putting everything together. The voting ended with Drunken Brawler getting 33% of the vote, followed by Parry Moonshine Shards of Night with 17%, so Drunken Brawler it is!

I was hoping for some clarification on a few things about the build, like whether buffs like Strength of Earth were okay, and whether the fist spells were intended to be used. Then I remembered that Amsodi left on Saturday morning for a 1 week vacation! So I'll be changing over to this build at the start of my next stream (hopefully tomorrow) and doing as honest an interpretation of it as I can, relying on what I think Asmodi would find most fun.

Oh man... this is going to be a wild ride.

20. jrs99

jrs99 Bug Hunter

Oh damn, you guys took that seriously...
    This oughta be fun! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.