Current dev team

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Jul 7, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I’m wondering what the current dev status is. I know Chris is still there, Dc, and apparently Winston, in another thread someone said Lordbritish was still doing stuff kinda surprised by that and was left wondering whos left who’s new and who’s doing what? List still around, santos?

Cordelayne likes this.
  2. HannahAlpenglow

HannahAlpenglow Avatar

This age old question is one that never really gets a straight answer, but honestly Catnip is a private company, so there isn't really an obligation to tell us who is still working on the game, who is full time/part time/paid/volunteer/etc.

The better metric of getting a sense of how many resources are on SotA now is by looking at the amount of new content, progress towards Episode 2, and meaningful bug fixes occur over time. It really tells the story, or more accurately, lack of it.

Cordelayne likes this.
  3. merlinfire

merlinfire Avatar

enough to have monthly releases

and if you login regularly, you'll notice lots of unannounced patches

Xithar, Lord Stein and Time Lord like this.
  4. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

Chris has said he is devoting a lot of his time to the new project both he and Richard are working on under the company name DeMeta. Chris did state that he still works on shroud as well. Ravalox is another developer who is working on Shroud. I think Chris also mentioned that Bzus is back in some capacity. I recall him saying something like nearly full time, but I could be misremembering. Sannio is around as well.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
    Xithar, Lord Stein, FrostII and 3 others like this.
  5. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Coming from someone that's been playing almost every day for years, I think the quality of updates has been great over the past year or two. There is a lot of stuff unrelated to episode 2 that needed lots of polish and they've been doing well hammering a lot of that stuff out. I've been pretty happy with the progress overall.

6. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings Avatars
    I remember Chris saying in one of the Live Streams the number of Devs and without naming any he mentioned several were paid, some were paid a portion of their wages, and some were volunteers. Several Devs had left and came back to help out without pay. I think the current addition of new content and bug fixes have been great all though I was sad to hear Elgarion has left. Chris was helping Richard and Todd with their new game because they are friends and because they are going to pay him to help and he can funnel that money back into SOTA.

I am happy so many people both past and current Devs as well as the player volunteers that are spending their time working on this world.

7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I like to think of our team of developers as belonging to the same community team, who in print may work for many differing projects and companies, in flexibility to keep all of them happily and gainfully employed. I think the team work historically seen justifies such a cooperation in order to retain the availibility of our (Ultima/Shroud) experienced programing talent.

If it were not done so, then our collective programmer brain bank would amount to far less quality intellect and inspired human assets than it continues to be.

It's been my observations within our history, that we are an Ultima family and continue to be in that way, extremely feudal with our rewards in fidelity :cool:~TL~:thumbs up:

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  8. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

i don’t really care about any of that, I’m just interested if any and whom of my old friends are working on the project.

Thanks anyways though.

I’m interested in the blockchain game, suggestion @LordBritish make it easy to get into. The blockchain stuff is complicated to the large majority. Also kickstarter plans?

remember how we showed up when you called us to this project, just saying ;) (take my money… again!)

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

[​IMG]

Sir Frank, Greyfox and Dinsoo like this.
  10. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Let's share another opinion , mine, and then lets examine the facts:

Currently (from the last livestream broadcast), the development team at Catnip games is working on getting the game on the Unity 2021 build. This is an incredibly complicated task, for an incredibly complicated game. And then once we can get it to a testing phase, it will be on the QA server for many of us to test.

I don't believe this qualifies as "Seriously folks, it's cooked. It's done. It's over, in my opinion."

And now, I'm going to share my own personal feelings, and another one of my opinions to everyone: I am completely and utterly sick, of all the people who's only intent and purpose, is to continue to post on the forums, and post nothing but derogatory, negative comments and topics you are hoping will provide more negative and derogatory claims about our game. None of you ever, post anything that is a meaningful and constructive discussion about our game.

I do however, have the power to do something about that. I can click on your user name, and open your user page name window, and then click the ignore button, at the top right of that screen. Everyone on the forums has this ability as well. Which I should probably be doing now...

And yet again, since you (and others) still continue to not post anything that is a meaningful and constructive discussion, I can only tell you that I hope you have a wonderful and great day.

11. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

im a little confused sorry, I’m wondering what I posted that is considered negative. If I’m not already blocked I’d like to apologize for what ever gave you the impression. Though I’m not involved in this game any more I am curious about the devs the plan and just maybe if/when boats are a thing then who know may even be a return in my future.

if it was because I asked about LB’s new game well crap I’m curious about that as well.

CICI likes this.
  12. CICI

CICI Avatar

(Not a negative post) Just a :)

Cordelayne likes this.
  13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I don't understand what all the contention is. The game is what it is. Just enjoy what it is for as long as your able to.

Tirrag, Lord Stein, Anpu and 4 others like this.
  14. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Amen, brother...... Amen ;)

Tirrag, Lord Stein and Barugon like this.
  15. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

If someone left because a feature they think was promised didn't make it in by some arbitrary date and they dip back in to see if that feature made it in over the past year, I feel that person is missing out on a lot. I doubt anyone got what they wanted out of SoTA. From the kickstarter up to today, there are things all of us wish something was done differently or simply implemented at all.

SoTA has always had a small team. Even at it's employee/contractor peak, they were a small team for an MMO with this kind of ambition. Whatever the current employee/contract count is now, every single one of them is here because it is a passion project. All of them could be making more money elsewhere and I imagine many of them do. If this is their side-gig, isn't that all the more reason to respect the work they do here??? Even if in some (hopefully distant) future, all the dev team could manage was a yearly bug fix pass, would they not be deserving of our respect and support???

From kickstart on, this has been a passionate community project. Inside and out. I think, in all likelihood, that is enough to keep the game going for a long while yet.

@Brass Knuckles I'm not trying to suggest that you, or anyone in this thread, are being disrespectful towards the team or the community. But, I would suggest that if the only thing keeping you from playing SoTA is the lack of boats, you may be missing out on more than just boats. Why not drop into the game and play for week or two while you're poking around the forums? Who knows, you might just find something to keep you busy while you, and many of us, wait for those boats. :)

16. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I often find myself totally alone here within our forums and I think that's due to the anti-virtue of "intolerance", a general unfriendliness from many of us because we do not "like" or apreciate the thoughts of another. I even save some of these times to my archives...

Total: 178 (members: 2, guests: 159, robots: 17)

Total: 198 (members: 6, guests: 175, robots: 17)

Total: 199 (members: 4, guests: 181, robots: 14)

Total: 203 (members: 6, guests: 171, robots: 26)

Total: 116 (members: 6, guests: 96, robots: 14)

These are just a very few examples from "2020!" and it gotten even more dismal as the years press onward, till now, when it's so normal not to see anyone other than me logged onto our forums.

Intolerance, unfriendliness and dislike has had a weathered effect which has slowly and steadily eroded our forums community.

Our forums are not just for "fan-boys" and it's extremely healthy to have rhetoric and discourse, as this was the tollerant state within our forums since our forums began. Meaningful change came from such healthy, rhetoric and discourse. I myself was twice banned from our forums just to get some cannibalism included in our game, and the city of Ardoris didn't just fall from the sky. Indeed the Asian influences within our game were hard won through such rhetoric and discourse, through a stiff opposition of those who insisted it would ruin our "western medieval style", which is one reason the initial asian styled homes were named as "Viking and Elven", untill the Asian Artwork loving community became a more inviting money maker to help fund our game.

All of this above all came to pass through some of the most insulting rhetoric and discourse only tempered and regulated through our restrain from insulting anyone personally which is a big "No, No" (as it should be).

Back in our earliest of our forum's days we liked each other a whole lot more until the weathered waves of intolerance took it's toll on the life of our healthy rhetoric and discourse.
    Intolerance became the elder brother of snootiness which became the family of exclusion through exclusiveness.
    And now, one is either a member of the family of snooty exclusiveness or not.

Rhetoric and discourse
    [​IMG]

It's what makes a good Ultima dinner, "so tollerate it!" :D~Time Lord~:thumbs up:

17. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I’ve often wondered using ur example why for say there would be 4 members 200 guests and 27 bots. Those all sound kinda weird to me. Aka why bots, why so many guests always and few member converts.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Yep o_O...
    [​IMG]
    Today:
    Members:
    1. Time Lord,
    2. Botocks
    Total: 305 (members: 4, guests: 284, robots: 17)

I've always wondered why so many bots seem to love our game :D~TL~:thumbs up:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
  19. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Some folks' white knight level is so high that they will refuse to acknowledge widely known facts such as "PVP is dead" for example, while they will praise bad decisions such as removing double XP.

Cordelayne, Time Lord and FrostII like this.
  20. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

White knight / Black knight can’t we all just get along ;)

It’s when we can’t have a real conversation pro or con as adults that irritates me. You don’t have to agree with me or I don’t have to agree with you. Some times we can meet in the middle and some times I might even cross that line to your side because you convinced me I was missing something.

Some people start off so triggered they are unwilling to even to have a conversation. Then you have those that are looking for a fight and say derogatory inflammatory things to set that up.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
    Cordelayne, Adam Crow and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.