Discontinuing Fishing and Treasure Hunt Contests after 28 July 2022

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Winston, Jul 6, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yigg Endimion

Yigg Endimion Avatar

well i call BS, port/catnip fishing contests in all forms have been a big draw for alot of players. i know it can be time consuming, but for reals, with it tracked and logged in api/data sets, i dont see why it cannot be continued. they used to be run on a weekly basis, then switched to monthly and then all the new events that were added recently. the whole i gotta check X, X and X is BS, should have just kept the old standards. when those new daily/weekly events introduced, (that you added, which were cool), but evidently are not manageable, that i can understand. Winston this isnt about you, you wanted to add to the fun, but it needs more time than they will allow, totally get that. i just hate to see it being abandoned, i have not beem a big fisher in a while, but i still try here and there. just to be clear, not mad, not calling anyone out, or whatever dum-dums might say about my rant. i see it as removing a part of the game from alot of players that are still here, it has given us alot of community or inclusion, whatever you might call it. i love the new fish that have been added, still need to work on fresh water, hehe. idk, maybe its just me, there are many players who can and maybe will assist, with events, myself being 1 of them, if given the chance. sory for my impossible rant all, just thought i might add my 2 cents...for what its worth.

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

No one said it had to be abandoned. This is a discussion to keep it alive. The event can still get prizes from the devs and the notifications. We just call out for them. Maybe not the same but who knows maybe it can be better.

Proudfoot Underhill likes this.
  3. Yigg Endimion

Yigg Endimion Avatar

yup i a turd, just go back to the way it was, IE monthly. idk maybe you will get me to fish 20hrs a month............ummmmm

4. Yigg Endimion

Yigg Endimion Avatar

idc about prizes, it gives players something to do, my bad, im a turd, more likely than not. maybe i dont know jack all...but well, query? what was point of adding new fetid fish? hrmmmmmmm.....pm me for response..lol

Proudfoot Underhill likes this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I
    Wasn't criticizing you. I Just was trying to be optimistic. You are fine to voice your thoughts on the changes.

Yigg Endimion likes this.
  6. Yigg Endimion

Yigg Endimion Avatar

I never took it as such. My apologies if my rant, sounded like that. I have always liked your input. The fetid fish remark, was pointing out wasted time. If catnip stops events. Yes, adding more freshwater rates, would help, maybe some saltwater, but moot point now, kinda. I love the changes/ addition, but events get ppl together, last edit, I promise, I just hate to see ya good work go to waste, IMHO. Rant off

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
  7. Xithar

Xithar Avatar

While it's always sad when something is discontinued, I think it's for the best reasons and as has been said before, players can run most contests without a dev.
    Sure it won't be the same, but sometimes tasks and time commitments need to be prioritized and something that can be run by players is clearly on the "nice to have" side of things, while there are important things that are essential to be done.
    With some people have to care about RL and others putting more time into the other game project there are clearly time holes that need to be filled..
    Thanks a lot for your work @Winston - and all other people working on SotA of course, too!

8. Proudfoot Underhill

Proudfoot Underhill Avatar

Sad to hear about the discontinuation of the Monthy Catnip Fishing Contests! Thanks for all the fish, fun, prizes and Glory!

PS: I hope at some point you will bring the basic Monthly fishing contest back, as some users suggested in previous posts :) Maybe just for a single NPC town or a POT per month, doesn't matter , and without the new codenamed leaderboards (which are COOL, btw :) ).

Also a serious question: how will the Master Angler Title be attainable by new players without those contests?

Thanks again!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
    Neverly Crusher likes this.
  9. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

Yes, but weren't you the one pointing out how much time, effort, and cost it takes to run player events? Honestly, I think it is a mistake to stop these fishing and treasure contests. Look at what other things take time that players are not reallly involved in drop that instead.

10. simon1974

simon1974 Bug Hunter

Yes players can host fishing tournament, but they cant afford prizes like catnip can afford. I sometimes host some fishing contest, but it always depend if I have to offer something interesting. An player event are not not as glamorous then the catnip event. Catnip has big trophies, deeds titles. players gets small community trophies( which I have a ton).

I have offerred myself to ravalox and winston to take over the catnip fishing tournament like it was before: same rules, Water type rotation, fewer POT's, New forum thread, players would have to mail the fish... ect, all they have to do is sending the prizes to whoever will win. Sofar winston referred me to support, and Ravalox has not answered yet.

I would not mind taking a couple hours a month judging fish and returning them.

Its not my style to be upset with the devs, I really think they are doing an awsome job and all, but i must admit i am not sure about this one. So far I have not see any good reason at all to cancel this. They say it is too much time consumming, but they made it this way themself. All they have to do is go back to basic. Monthly, POT's only, and lava.
    Regards

Diablotine

11. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

To run an event IS a lot of time consuming work, as it was for Winston. Right now, the community has most all the resources to do fishing events. Several people continue to do them.

What’s current stopping you from doing this, right now?

12. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

When I hosted the first POT PVP fishing contest in my town, it cost me around 600K igg, 3000 cotos, three full sets of bandit armor.. so COST is what is keeping me from doing that again. And as the previous poster mentioned, the standard player cannot provide village lot deeds and titles for a standard fishing contest.

13. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

If cost is all that's keeping you from running another event, that can be addressed. Ever ask for donations?

14. jrs99

jrs99 Bug Hunter

Running fishing contests gets expensive...
    Even with donations I've forked out quite a bit for the RHEC contests.

15. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

And several people rode off the back of Catnip contests as an added reward for people to choose their town instead of some other chosen catnip town. If they want to keep people in the game, they should not be cutting off the very things people like about this game.

16. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

And I don't participate in a lot of fishing contest because 100 cotos here and there is not enough for me to spend hours fishing.

FrostII likes this.
  17. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

I asked Devs to help with PVP fishing contest rewards.. their response was rather lacking.

18. jrs99

jrs99 Bug Hunter

Chris did say he wanted to help with that, so he gave me 2 house deeds and moved on :D

... oh and an invite to a dead pvp focus group discussion...

FrostII and Proudfoot Underhill like this.
  19. jrs99

jrs99 Bug Hunter

Honestly to me this is just another sign the game is on life support

20. CICI

CICI Avatar

:thumbs up:

FrostII and SheldonCooper like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.