Control Points with AFKers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by queenbee, Jul 16, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

There is a concept called being "considerate" that seems to be lost with people who AFK at control points. So unless you're in a private group and everyone doesn't mind you being AFK, stop doing it in public groups. So unless your pet is so kick ass that it's doing that much damage to benefit the group, you going AFK is just being downright rude, lazy, and INCONSIDERATE.

You are riding off other people to do all the work to give you free experience points without their permission. Stop it. You know who you are.. STOP IT.

Thank you
    Bee Striker , the resident b*tch witch.

2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I would assume the group leader can ban afk players from the group?

Cordelayne likes this.
  3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yes but sometimes the leader is AFK.

4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

That’s hilarious.

Daigoji Gai and Brass Knuckles like this.
  5. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I did my first control point in years today and within an hour gained four levels and GM'ed, six skillz! :p

The group I was with was awesome, they didn't mind that my melee attacks were doing nothing to help the battle and were nominal at best. Having said that, I still tried to do my part and the group appreciated the effort. To @queenbee 's point, going AFK in such a situation is just not cool unless sanctioned by the team ahead of time! :)

6. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

Positive participation is what it is all about :) I was in that same group with you on my GK char but had already ATT'd before I arrived. I don't normally do CPs but felt the need to team up and enjoy the chaos of CP battle with others :)

FrostII, FBohler, Ysold and 2 others like this.
  7. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

That's awesome, I had such a great time, even though I wasn't doing much damage. It's the camraderie of Shroud, that always keeps me coming back! :)

FrostII, FBohler, Ysold and 4 others like this.
  8. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

This is not about what level a person is or how much damage they are doing or not doing . It's about presence.. about the person sitting in front of their computer and actually making an effort to help the group. Even the lowest person in the party can be helpful by looting or practicing their skills. This is about seeing way too many players just going AFK and making everyone else do the work for them. I know I am not the only one that gets irritated by this. It's inconsiderate and rude.

FBohler, Ysold, Barugon and 1 other person like this.
  9. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

There has been a few times when a guildie and I felt like we were pretty much the only ones actively doing anything... we would leave the vicinity and wait for the deaths to pile up before finally leaving the party :) Petty I know but it sure did feel good :)

StarLord likes this.
  10. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

So, what’s the actual issue?

John Markus and Cordelayne like this.
  11. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

???

Scanphor likes this.
  12. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Then boot them from the group, problem solved!

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  13. queenbee

queenbee Avatar

It would be great if it was that easy. In Shroud, only the party leader can boot someone from the group.
    Some people don't like creating conflict by booting people from the group.
    Group leaders may not be paying attention. I have noticed they won't even boot people who have stated they are leaving and have gone offline.
    I have been in groups where the leader was the one who went afk.
    The leader may not care.
    In the most recent situation, the afk player was in the same guild as the leader.
    So like I said, I would rather people just take responsibility for themselves and stop being rude.
    In New World, it allows people to vote to boot someone from the group... but then New World only allows five people in a group so it difficult to be afk without being noticed.

14. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

First and foremost, why is someone, after a time, when marked AFK even in a party?

Ysold and Cordelayne like this.
  15. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

While I empathize with your frustration, this scenario is kinda hilarious! :D

16. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

That's more than hilarious. That's SotA.

Edit: imagine you start to play a new MMO just to find out within the first week that end game involves mindlessly grinding CPs with lots of players just AFKing... the odds are you're gonna leave soon.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
  17. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

As I always say:

[​IMG]

FBohler likes this.
  18. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

If the players aren't they themselves late game - or experienced players that know what they are doing on a fresh character - this behavior is really self-destructive.

Firstly, because SotA has such a large emphasis on community and being inconsiderate to the group dynamic in any case can really backfire.

Secondly, because getting so much XP/skills without any creative inspiration or cause is a huge misstep. If you are out in the world adventuring and adapting as situations and challenges present themselves to you, even though the grind is there, you're gonna have a real game plan and grasp of your character and its capabilities. Simply AFKing in these upper-level groups really destroys this critical quality.

Heck, even double XP can be a curse if you aren't careful. And don't get me started on obsidian potions ;P

Alley Oop likes this.
  19. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

At AL 150 I don't know if I count as end game, but I can't imagine spending my time sitting around on a control point. I guess sometimes during single XP? During double XP end game players can attenuate so much faster in places that are more fun and give better loot, so why grind a CP?

20. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

Ah the infamous Coswald Dirthmire - I can't tell you how many pieces of equipment crafted by you I've looted off baddies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.