Is it the final state of R106?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hydralisk, Oct 8, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hydralisk

Hydralisk Avatar

XP pools are recovered
    COTOs for real money (not looted) are recovered
    Everything else including gold, skills, items are not recovered and have the state of the end of R104

Befor i say "Time to say goodbye" and demand the removing of bought COTOs from "rewards" and refunding the real money, i would like to know, if this state of things is final or not ...

Rustford and FBohler like this.
  2. Omnedon

Omnedon Avatar

Ya know, every single person that's been playing is going thru the same thing. This seems to be the first major hiccup in years. Part of the shifting to the new Unity build is because of the issues and bugs it's caused, especially when creating new builds and the length of time and errors involved.

Could it have been handled better? Maybe, I don't know. I know that I couldn't have fixed it.

What I DO know is something bad happened, and the devs spent a tremendous amount of time and effort working on the problem. Specifically trying to make sure we players lost as little as possible and keeping things intact and progressing,
    You got your XP back, maybe spend it in a different way this time. Actual money you spent on Cotos, you received back, maybe make a few adjustments to what you bought this time. So far, you've also gotten a bag of goodies including potions of guidance to help relearn those skills faster.

I'm fairly certain they said there would still be more coming.

Remember, this is a GAME, not a job. Sure the time you spent you lost. But you just keep playing and be glad it wasn't much worse, or even the end of the game.

Personally, IMHO if none of that is good enough for you, as we say where I'm from... don't let the door hit you in the ass.. AND from another world I've been in.. sorry to see you go.. since you're leaving, can I have your stuff?

Thor99Plyr, jrs99, Retlaw and 8 others like this.
  3. oplek

oplek Avatar

You don't have to do that, though.

If you're at a restaurant, and the waiter trips and covers you with your spaghetti dinner, you don't have to just grab a fork and eat it off your arms. Getting a refund and going to another restaurant is an option.

The players have zero obligations or responsibilities here, outside of EULA parameters, and obeying basic laws.

The devs are not entitled to customers. As pathetic as the player counts are for this game, "don't let the door hit you in the ass" isn't a great attitude.

4. oplek

oplek Avatar

It's a little bonkers at times that I have to keep reminding the customers that they're customers. This isn't their show.

Cordelayne, Rustford and FBohler like this.
  5. Omnedon

Omnedon Avatar

While I probably wouldn't eat it off my arm, yes I would expect the restraunt to reasonably make it up to me. That meal free, maybe a future one free., possibly paying for my clothes to be cleaned.
    As it's an accident, i wouldn't get butt-hurt and go eat someplace else. As long as the restraunt did what was reasonable to make up for it.
    If I started yelling and screaming and saying no good enough, I also want them to feed me my meals, buy me new a new wardrobe, and fire the waiter or else I'm never coming back and leaving bad reviews.. well then
    yeah. Absolutely, they should toss me out and tell me never to come back.. as I was upsetting all the loyal customers...

Anpu and Scanphor like this.
  6. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I'm not getting free meal or my clothes washed.
    It's only 2x XP (and XP wasn't lost apparently).

What about the metric ton of silver I mined? What about the lucky shot RNG perfect weapon I made during R105? What about the hours and hours of grind to get 2 good imbued gems to fit that weapon?

I hope I'm offered the free meal and washed clothes.

Shotglass likes this.
  7. merlinfire

merlinfire Avatar

I feel confident there will be more to come. There really has to be.

FBohler and Duke Ezekiel Cooper like this.
  8. Hydralisk

Hydralisk Avatar

Yot got an impressive "Fancy indoor toilet II" instead of the countless tons of silver you mined ...

They must have a valid database from the end of R105. It's not compatible to R106 now, but the data there should be valid.
    I'll try to mail the support, to restore at least the crafting skills manually.
    With items - i assert, that it is pointless to ask about them... we got our toilets

Shotglass and FBohler like this.
  9. Rustford

Rustford Avatar

Not very surprising older players have a more dismissive attitude about this as they didn't lose everything. For comparison, I lost about 98% of the time put into my character without exaggeration, as my character was made only a few days before 105 went live. I wonder how they'd feel if their character was essentially just deleted? :)

Shotglass, FBohler and Beaumaris like this.
  10. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Hydralisk asks a very fair question.

What got me was not the problem or its resolution. But the follow on post that said '106 has NOW been released' without acknowledging the problem or resolution.

Play Release 106! | Shroud of the Avatar Forum -- https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/play-release-106.172550/#post-1347812 (dated 7 October)

Was 106 released? Or was 105 released? Or is it the end of 104? Which is it really?

For such a major roll-back, I expected to see more communication about the resolution. Not doubting the team worked hard on it, but clear communication of resolution matters.

All I saw prior to the '106 NOW' announcement was that the issue was being tested on QA: Testing Directive! Phase1 recovery from R106 outage | Shroud of the Avatar Forum

Meanwhile, what is in the General forum? Nothing. The team has an R100 events thread stickied at the top of the General forum still. There is nothing to the community on 106 in General. Wasnt this an important enough resolution event to cause a post there too? :https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?forums/general-discussion.38/

Hydralisk, you just keep asking questions. As the situation remains clear as MUD right now. I've followed this community for a long time and right now I have little idea of where some of the information and rumors posted here are coming from.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2022
    StarLord, FBohler and Hydralisk like this.
  11. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

I'm having trouble thinking of another MMO title of any size that had an event with more than a week of downtime coupled with a rollback of over a month, "hiccup" might not be the right word for that.

Shotglass and FBohler like this.
  12. necronut

necronut Avatar

Fallen Earth was down for 3 years. It's back. It was successful enough to have been sold... twice. And it's being ported to Unity.

13. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

If I an recalling correctly, New World had a rollback. I vaguely remember WOW had one, or more as well.

14. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

New World's most famous rollback erased around 8 hours of works and triggered a substantial hullabaloo, you don't think a month getting erased falls into a different category?

FBohler likes this.
  15. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Okay guys, I don't give a flying **** if this is the worst rollback in MMO history or not.

I only want to know how are the devs planning to mitigate losses related to:

1) resources gathered;
    2) gear crafted;
    3) artifacts and/or imbued gems farmed;
    4) gold spent during R105, but stuff purchased is missing, resulting in less gold and no goods.

Thanks.

16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I thought what you said was good and reasonable. Hopefully every one can pick themselves up. People vent in many ways. What they do after that is up to them :)

edited sorry cleaned up myself

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
  17. Kelan

Kelan Avatar

Unfortunately for me, the timing was just really bad.

I just came back a few weeks or so ago (after some years) when my wife expressed interest in playing again. She figured out a build she liked and we made quite a bit of progress together, including me finally hitting GM in a couple skills. We were getting to see parts of the game we never got to experience before.

Logging in yesterday to realize what happened was a bit of a shock. The worst part for me is I don't think I will be able to get her to play again. I am still trying to figure out what to do myself. It is all sort of hitting me in waves all that I lost, heh. Some of the worst of it is not even remembering what I did. I had a build and deck I was really enjoying and not sure I can remember it, lol. I have over 7.3 million and 5.7 xp and some obsidian potions which I have never used and it is going to take me a bit to figure out what the heck to do next, if I even decide to. I think I want to! I also was away so long I was unlocking all the zones again and now I won't be able to use the teleport scrolls until I run all over again. Not a huge deal, but when you start to remember all the things you did during the month it feels like getting gut punched.

Software development and desired 100% uptime is part of my job, so I have empathy with the devs and what they went though, and respect for their efforts, but it just hurts, man! :) I guess all I can do is get back on the horse and start figuring out what I was doing.

18. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

Duke Ezekiel Cooper Avatar

There is more to come.

Sentinel2 likes this.
  19. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

In the "good old" Ultima online times - as it started, it often was sooo laaag. And I remember a few resets - hours and days got deleted alot of times ...
    And we got nothing back ;)

necronut likes this.
  20. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I am sad the outage occurred. I am glad catnip devs got us back to a stable state and can play again.

I hope the devs will not do a little bit like only 2x xp gain for xxx days. I hope the devs will give us lots of pooled xp so I can play when I can and use it and feel like I am not living in SotA and wasting time because i was not able to play during the special 4x xp event.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.