Is it the final state of R106?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hydralisk, Oct 8, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shotglass

Shotglass Avatar

Was it worth it?

2. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

I really hope, the taxes will be set to zero for all taxable deeds.
    By counting the reset point until server got back, the days and taxes can be calculated ;)

I assume most people playing frequently logg in each day to receive the 500g from Oracle (besides the daily xp) ...

3. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

Duke Ezekiel Cooper Avatar

I was thinking this as well while reading this thread. This outage is babysh*t. Back in the "good old" days, you developed high BP, just wondering if what you were doing on the screen in real time was still gonna be there at the 4am server restart. And you're right, that happened ALL THE TIME. Never got a damn thing back, but on the flip side of that coin, there were times that the "time warp" saved your a$$. PK Raids and gank squads take all your gear, and then POOF, log in the next day and there it all was.

Nah... This outage is nothing... NOTHING!

4. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Speaking of outage, rollbacks and full loot PK:

People say losing a month worth of gear is "nothing", but are absolutely daunted by just reading the words "full loot" on the forums. :rolleyes:

5. Shotglass

Shotglass Avatar

It's not the loss of the loot, gear, and purchased coto items that is bothersome. It's the 20 GMS lost, a significant portion of which are crafting, that is upsetting. While I got the XP back, there is no way to give me back the time already spent, and the time it will take to go get all the necessary materials again to redo everything I had just spent the last month or so working on. Sure there are potions to speed it up, but running around in circles in Elysium to reup all I've already done just isn't that appealing.

Cordelayne likes this.
  6. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

I'm not daunted by full loot. I was born in Felucca. Let carnage reign, says I.

FBohler and Vero like this.
  7. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Oh. You are from the wrong side of the trammel tracks. ;)

FBohler likes this.
  8. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Have you verified the loss of materials? I'm in the same boat, but I have all of the materials.

9. Owsley

Owsley Bug Hunter

He’s referring to all the materials gathered in September. I’m in the same boat. 8k of granite gone.

10. Shotglass

Shotglass Avatar

I have started to look for them in various places but so far I have not found them. All my properties are completely stirred. They are where they were before before I started a fishing dungeon and added a village tavern that is also gone, including the deed that I purchased. The Cotos and XP are returned. The LB cake, the potion of guidance and all the mats that I used to GMs in tailoring, bludgeon, and blacksmithing are lost along the GMs. The POG has been returned in the October bundle. But I guess I get to go play rabbit again to get back the LB cake.

Archibald Leatherneck likes this.
  11. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

Anybody that knows me, knows that. :)
    Big Angry Goose, Blue Fly, Leather Neck Raiders, (LNR), (DEI), (CYN), (HOT), (LLTS) <- In the early days when they were organized cells of gank squads. Stormtroopers of Death (SOD), Secret Order of Blackbow (SOB) <- I co-founded those guys, Tanis Blackbow, Orin Blackbow, Dakken Blackbow, the list goes on and on. LEROY JENKINS!!!
    We all were cut from the same cloth. They were the hitters, and the BMC was the LAST of the Mohicans, as far as a supplier, in the dark lands after the Trammel / Felucca split.
    Wrong side of the Trammel tracks? Damn right and proud of it. ;)

Anpu and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  12. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Explain that to a new player just referred to the game who rolled a character but lost a month of progress plus another three weeks waiting on resolution.

I hate to tell you, sir, but its not 1990 any longer. Games today are viewed as a mainstream service for which players expect utility-level reliability. They are not a random, closet hobby that only dorks engage in any longer. As goes the service ... so goes the players.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2022
    Cordelayne and FBohler like this.
  13. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

Welcome to the world of MMO's. I haven't seen one EVER that didn't have an outage or a roll back.

If you hate to tell me, then... WHY DID YOU? I don't believe you. I think you wanted to tell me and didn't hate to at all.

Sure, if it's stand alone, or multiplayer like Red Dead Remption 1 or 2. But even those types of games have suffered outages and roll backs.

Gaslighting begets gaslighting. I'd say that I hated to tell you, but that would just be a damn lie.

Whew! Now this is true. Ergo, I sure am glad Shroud of the Avatar is still here, alive and well.

*BOWS*
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2022
    Sentinel2 and Adam Crow like this.
  14. redfish

redfish Avatar

Beaumaris, I agree with you that the devs have some responsibility to players...

However I just have to say that this whole topic is kind of funny to me, and points to one of my misgivings about grinding as gameplay... because aren't games supposed to be about having fun? If you were really having fun with the game over the past month, you wouldn't mind having all that fun all over again! The issue isn't being a closet hobby vs. a mainstream service .... Its how did players even get to a point where they see games as a service rather than an enjoyable pastime?

15. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

Well said.

16. Shotglass

Shotglass Avatar

Service; Work that is done for others as an occupation or business.

Since I subscribe to them, they are performing a service. Since I purchase the Cotos they offer and that is source of income, they are providing a service. The fact that the service happens to be an enjoyable game is not relevant. If I pay a coach to teach me a sport, he is essentially doing the same thing, providing a service.

In this particular situation, the person providing the service (that I enjoy) quite obviously did not use the funds protect their data on an acceptable timeline. Backing up daily, or even weekly. Had this the event been a few days or even a week I would feel differently, but no amount of rationalization will get me to a month as being an acceptable backup timeline. PLUS what is to say the next time they have a hiccup, another month of our lives will not be gone?

FBohler likes this.
  17. redfish

redfish Avatar

Well but thats missing my point.

Btw I agree with you they should make it up to players, because players put money and time in the game.

But compare it to something like a baseball game you go to for fun. You can say thats a service provided for you. Not sure thats the usual way people describe it, but OK, it makes sense. If something was a problem that shut down a game early you'd maybe your money back or a free ticket to the next game. Because you paid for it and deserve your moneys worth. Enough said.

The issue here is beyond that. Which is that people see playing SotA as similar to work, not play. They worked in SotA for a month and want their month of work that went to waste compensated.

In a way, it makes sense... OK. But I'm just saying the fact that grinding unMMOs is similar to work is one of the reasons a lot of people who otherwise love RPG gaming don't play MMOs.

18. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Some players want instant feeling of fun for playing.
    Some players want longer term character development rewarding experience.
    For the latter, losing one month worth of efforts is way worse.

To each their own.

We must acknowledge the existance of both types of players in order to understand why are there differing opinions on the relevance of a month long rollback.

Archibald Leatherneck likes this.
  19. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Fun and work aren't mutually exclusive things. I might have a fun time spending the day building an elaborate sand castle at the beach, but if you came by and knocked it down right as I was about to take a picture of it, I wouldn't be thinking that I had just been granted an additional day of fun.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
    ConjurerDragon and Shotglass like this.
  20. redfish

redfish Avatar

Sure, and players who are building POTs or decorating a house or playing through a story even if they're having fun prefer not to do the same thing over again because theyd rather move on and do something new that builds on top of their past work. This is all creative effort.

Is that really what we're talking about when we're talking about grinding from level 110 to level 111 or grinding out 100,000 gold or ore doing the same gameplay repetitively, or waiting for the perfect RNG drop to get an item that has a 1% chance of appearing, or the perfect RNG for a supply bundle, or the perfect RNG for crafting, or waiting for an item to appear on sale in the store?

Personally I don't think so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.