Is it the final state of R106?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hydralisk, Oct 8, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I don't think those things are exactly the same either, but I don't see what difference it makes in terms of how people feel about whatever sort of progress they may have lost. It's as normal as something can possibly be for someone to be upset about losing something that they invested significant time in. It doesn't mean that they are necessarily some sort of joyless grindbot that doesn't grasp the concept of fun.

Whether or not all of this is a big deal is completely subjective. It's a big deal to anyone who it's a big deal to, and it doesn't cease to be a big deal because someone else says it's not, regardless of whether or not there have been even bigger disasters at some point in the history of gaming.

With regard to games vs. services, MMORPGs are absolutely a kind of service. When customers buy things in online game shops, there is an implicit understanding that the thing they are buying will exist for the foreseeable future in whatever online space that it is supposed to exist in.

I wasn't personally affected by any of this, and I'm not here to try to be negative or lay blame, but I find the conversation amongst players about this to be a little bit crazy. If people are still enjoying the game and want to keep chugging along, great. That being said, it shouldn't be hard at all to understand anyone that isn't in that boat. This isn't a normal thing.

2. redfish

redfish Avatar

You realize I'm criticizing what the industry has come to accept for good gameplay more than I'm criticizing the players for continuing to play...

And am just making the observation, that's all... because I just think this needs to be pointed out from time to time.. I fully support people who feel disappointed by their losses over the past month.

Beaumaris likes this.
  3. Eveara

Eveara Avatar

From the point of view of someone who has very, very little free time:
    I expect the service I was promised (sorry but @Shotglass is right, it is a service...) to be upheld:
    - be accessible (otherwise I'd stick to offline games);
    - make sure my progress – any progress – will still be there when I log back (bis repetitae placent).

It has nothing to do with the gaming experience itself. Whether you consider gaming an enjoyable pastime (like I do), or treat it like a second job (that I don't) – you expect the service that was promised to be upheld, like it is supposed to be.

Now, do people mess up? All the time. Mistakes happen. Welcome to Life™.
    Is it a big deal, objectively? No. War in Ukraine is a big deal. Food insecurity is a big deal. This is definitely not.
    Do I feel for fellow players who lost time, items, opportunities? Of course. That goes without saying. I lost time, items and opportunities too.
    Do I feel for the team who had to pull all-nighters to try and solve the issue? Definitively. It sucks big time and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

[​IMG]

But does it stop me from holding them accountable for what happened?
    No.

Having empathy is one thing. But providing the promised service was, and remains, their responsibility.

Now let me be crystal clear: holding people accountable doesn't mean – and should never mean – treating them poorly. Neither should it serve as an excuse for behaving like a d*ckhead.

Not pointing any fingers, but I read some reactions here and there who made me think some could use a reality check... for it is, after all, just a game.

Beaumaris, Dulayne, FBohler and 3 others like this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You do realize that it was a corrupted database, yes? There's no fault here; there's no "screw up"; there's no one to blame. It's a simple matter of deal with it and move on.

5. Eveara

Eveara Avatar

Please put down the pitchfork @Barugon – whether someone's at fault or not was really not the point.
    The point was and remains: when an internet outage prevents my files from transferring as expected, it's definitely not my fault – but I still have to deal with the consequences (and very unhappy customers).

FBohler likes this.
  6. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Boy, tell me you don't work in IT without telling me you don't work in IT. I push a patch that corrupts a database, fail to detect the corruption for a month, then kick all my users out of the system for over a week, oh boy you bet fault is going to get assigned, that type of nonsense puts normal businesses out of business.

Shotglass, Vero and FBohler like this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

So, is this what it was? Not a power surge? Not a drive malfunction? Not an obscure bug in the database software? Not Unity? Not a thousand other possibilities? You just immediately jump to someone at Catnip made a change that caused this?

[edit] BTW, there's a big difference between incorrect data being saved and a corrupted file.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
  8. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

No need to check all those possobilities.

It took one entire month for them to realize. That's all we need to know.

No matter the root cause, it took too long to be detected.

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Unforgivable! Just hang 'em.

10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I for one am not blaming anyone. I'm sorry it happened for all concerned and for the valuable time, losses, and frustrations that happened because of it for the Devs and the players. It is a two sided coin though hopefully it was a wake up call to put in preventative measures so that this never happens again. As I mentioned before xp was not my particular loss at all. Recreating what I did is and some cost for items lost. I don't know what the plan is to recover any of that since so far we have gotten some cool items.

My concern is from what I found in my reward window that seemed to be a repayment to help with lost xp and that was all those obsidian potions that are non tradeable. That was not helpful for me and will sit un-used for now. Hopefully they are allowed to go in a bank or chest for some very later date where I might find a use for them. I do have access to obsidian potions from subscription rewards monthly and other items so not really that useful for me. I would rather sell them or even give them away but alas the untradeable comes into play like heritage items which from what I heard was one thing we were trying to get rid of from all this.

So untradeable is not my favorite option very often. I understand in a rare case it needs to be untradeable for good reasons but overall I would rather we had gotten a reward with a drop down search that let us choose what we lost whether it be potions, dyes, cotos (limited of course), certain items and perhaps with a one time use like the potion reward. With that option at least some things could be gotten back. For those who lost items they had search all over the lands for from vendors or drops grinding for them those are another hard to replace the time and even remember what was lost. How about a submittal from players to recover some items. I know that could be abused. I do understand this.

If only we could trust that it wouldn't be abused we could replace some items. Perhaps its a 3 item submittal which could include an amount of granite, ore, dyes, or special artifact or resource. It could be the repayment for losses as a reward. It should not be so much hit or miss but specific to a player and how else to know that but to let the players get a reward with a drop down to choose their reward verses untradeable non useable items. Just imo help us to help you type of thing. Anyway everyone take good care I am still thinking of what could help the players and devs through this.

Beaumaris likes this.
  11. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I wouldn't go that far. Give me a good RNG boost and I'm ok. ;)

Barugon likes this.
  12. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

It's never a power surge, power surges don't corrupt data in a subtle enough manner to go unnoticed for a month yet damaging enough to affect such a wide swath of your data. If the database was taken out by a drive failure, it's the database creator's fault for running in RAID 0. "Obscure bug"? Either that would require SotA using the absolute least know DB software on the planet, their fault for poor software selection, or an "obscure bug" would exist in a mainstream DB application which would be front page new on every tech site for weeks, such a bug could destroy billions to trillions in infrastructure damage depending on how hard it was to trigger. Unity, it's always Unity, isn't it? Show me the bug report, it'd be Unity's number one issue until a patch was released. I jumped to Catnip, because if you find your car driven into the back of your garage with your 12-year old behind the wheel, your first thought shouldn't be "I wonder if Earth's gravitational field locally changed and smashed the car into the wall".

Fiero Steele, dayero and FBohler like this.
  13. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

Meh, $h1t happens :) I lost a lot of time and that is about it. the sales and other things I lost I already got back and then some so I can't complain. Over all I think they did a good job. I have been in other MMO's where roll backs , and the likes have happened with no compensation lol so happy they were able to help out with some extras. could always be worse :)

Dulayne and Shotglass like this.
  14. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

With all due respect, explain that to a new player who lost their full month of first-time progress and recently-earned village lot deed.

The argument presented here is that its a technical issue and so what?

But its not a technical issue. Its a matter of how ofter the database is backed up. In modern America, databases can be backed up more regularly than monthly.

Veterans should not become callous to the new-player experience, IMHO. We need new players.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

First, I didn't say or even imply "so what". My argument was that it's not productive to cast blame, although I know it's human nature to look for someone to blame.
    If you backup a corrupted database then it will still be corrupted when you restore it. This is what happened and the dev team had to go back to a backup that wasn't corrupted.
    I wasn't being callous and the dev team has done everything they can to correct it. They'll also be doing more to compensate as best they can. Calling them a bunch of screw-ups is simply not helpful.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
    Dulayne and Anpu like this.
  16. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

So after a long detour, let's get back to the topic:

Is this R106 final state? The compensation is double XP and a whole lot of obsidian potions, and finito?

I was told some more stuff could be in the making... any news?

FrostII and Enfo like this.
  17. Dulayne

Dulayne Avatar

Now I do not know if you saw it, so I am posting it just incase. The lastest up to date information provided is on this post https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ion-and-recovery-efforts.172711/#post-1348352

Information on events such as the flea market next Saturday is still inbound at some point.

FBohler likes this.
  18. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Thanks for the info.
    It seems they're focusing on the COTO and deco side of things.

How about the crafters and their crafting endeavors? No compensation in sight?

There is more to come or is it just login rewards and COTO sale / flea market?

Cordelayne likes this.
  19. Kelan

Kelan Avatar

I know I am only one data point in all of this, but I was pleasantly surprised how quickly I was able to recover my lost skills. It seemed to especially help my harvesting and crafting with the large XP pool and boosts from the potions.

I was super bummed out my first time online after the outage, but I am in better shape now already and glad I gave it a chance and pushed through it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.