Player Controlled Monster (PCM) Proposal

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Betamox, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Betamox

Betamox Avatar

This isn't necessarily PVP orientated, but I couldn't think of where else to post...

I envision a player either acquiring a trinket/statue to activate or going to a psionic NPC to begin their journey controlling monsters. This trinket/statue could be acquired either via a quest, crafted or a random loot drop.

The initial monster would randomly be something like a Headless or Mongbat. I’ll use Mongbat in this example. Also, for this example statues will be used to activate the ability.

When the Mongbat statue is activated, the player will take control of a Mongbat near a recently deceased AI Mongbat. This ensures that the Player Controlled Monster (PCM) will be placed in an active area, but with the following modifications:
    · Only Guild and Group chat enabled.
    · Movement is restricted to original spawn’s range.
    · PCM assumes movement speed, abilities, and stats as original spawn.
    · Automatically placed in a group with other PCMs in same area.
    · Player names are hidden.
    · PCM contains minimal loot (common items and coin)
    · If no damage is dealt by the PCM within X seconds, they lose control of the monster.

The PCM would gain “monster experience” equal to the amount of damage dealt to players. As experience is gained, additional statues of lateral and higher level monsters become available. These statues become the reward and can be placed in your house as decoration.

2. Robby

Robby Avatar

Ive wanted something like this for a long long time. But theres lots of exploits to work out of it. You could take control of a spawn with a rare then have your friend on facebook or some other messenger come to the area and slaughter you, and grab the rare. I guess your minimal loot modification covers that and all, but then whats the point to controlling the critter other than just for lulz.
    I think it would be much cooler if there were player owned dungeons and stuff, and you could open them to the world, players could party up and come into them then at the end of the dungeon YOU the owner would be there as a lich or something. Yea, i mean players creating non-human characters! Perhaps this would be a good expansion idea.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Betamox

Betamox Avatar

I originally discussed this when LOTR was in development. I wanted each account to have a minion character slot that would allow players to create their own Orc and adventure in Moria and adjacent areas and of course try to slay any heroes who entered the mines.

This PCM proposal is not meant to be a viable play style, but a distraction or side event earning unique statue loot. It would be extremely difficult to regulate it otherwise - unless a place like Moria was established, which is unlikely to happen.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Robby

Robby Avatar

Should be viable if the bugs are worked out.
    Though, im not a game designer. So its not up to me to call the shots as to what the game content is and to work the bugs out of my revolutionary ideas. Im just an average joe, living an everyday mediocre life. =(
    Ah well, I still can play video games that others make.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. vjek

vjek Avatar

In a similar vein, from here..
    Also in that same post are some details about hiring NPCs for indirect/insulated pvp.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

If we could have two characters and role one as a Monster that would be cool. Have an assortment of alignments, something like an Orc is not going to be a Lawful Good character. Fledgling Dragon would be cool (grows over time). The Lore of being from earth is kind of restricting though unless they are treated as being found.

Time Lord and Mercyful Fate like this.
  7. DimwitTheWise

DimwitTheWise Avatar

I love the idea of playing a monster. Maybe make a specific dungeon taken over during an event or the like. Or even have the orc horde siege the lizardman encampment. Kills, assists, heals, and participation all give bonuses or special item or the like to your main character.

Or out in the wild, the longer you retain monster form (fighting and surviving), the better Monster XP you get. Using points gained from XP, maybe you go ffrom orc to orc lord to ogre to ogre lord to drake to...etc. Some choice in it down some offered paths. I would dig the hell out of something like that.

Certain monsters could talk to one another, but humans would sound odd. Just like orcs can to humans. Its still social, still enngaging, and would be a lot of fun in an PvE/PvP hybrid.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

You can play a monster in LotRo.
    They have a PvP area in the Ettenmoors, some play their hero character others prefer to be Orcs, Wargs etc and are the evil enemy.

http://vnmedia.ign.com/lotrovault.ign.com/images/guides/MonsterPlay/monsterselector.jpg

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

Im all for it but its a longshot i can see the whiners a mile away " this mongbat didnt act like the rest so i was not paying attention and died so give me repurcussions or ill sue/quit"

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Jimirillo

Jimirillo Avatar

As much as I'm not really a PvP'er, I quite like this idea, would certainly keep you on your toes when you think you're fighting familiar monsters.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

Vas Ylem Rel... [​IMG]

Time Lord and Mordecai like this.
  12. Vsiar

Vsiar Avatar

EQ had this for awhile, and it was a lot of fun. I can't recall why they disabled it but it had something to do with exploiting.

This would be a lot of fun if they could get it put in successfully.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Curt

Curt Avatar

I could picture a group of pvp? players forming a team and then thru some mechanics bidding on various invasion themes

You could bid on inviding town A in the form of a kobold army.
    Cost would depend on how long time since last that town was invided and a few other things.
    Everyone in the theme would during that invasion basically be a kobold with kobold specific combat deck.
    Once your kobold died your part of the invasion ended.
    To prevent people from bunching up in a thigh group moving around focusing fire could be a Timer that ticked down and in order to slow the ticking
    you would need to act a bit like old packman finding some resources that was spread all over the town.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. vjek

vjek Avatar

Love the idea, Curt.
    To prevent abuse/exploit, it could be that the players participating could only be foot soldiers/cannon fodder mixed in with NPC's, and they had to maintain a certain distance near them.
    In other words, the players are augmenting the NPC force, rather than replacing it entirely. That would help keep the invasion event script on track.

Time Lord and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  15. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

I'd play a Dragon! Make it happen!

Time Lord and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  16. Halgore

Halgore Avatar

17. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I like the idea very much :)

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Talmanes

Talmanes Avatar

This has come up often and it is a great idea. Lots of ways it could be implemented, but PVE players might not like a player controlled monster :( I guess they classify it as pvp even if you have stats of a wolf and only basic attacks.

I tried to get UO Hybrid to make polymorph permanent until death like savage kin paint so you could effectively play as any of the monsters/animals in polymorph. They never did it though, missed opportunity.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

As long as Player Controled Monsters can only attack PvP Flagged Avatars, have at with my blessing.
    Otherwise it's just another attempt to circumvent consensual PvP.

Time Lord, NRaas and Silent Strider like this.
  20. Tiggis

Tiggis Avatar

It will not work.
    The PVE crowd will not fight anything that is not scripted so they can stand in the exact spot each time and kill it with the same tactic over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and and over again.

The world needed another WOW clone.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.