Ultima Online Like Recall Spell

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by CMDRVortex, Dec 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owain

Owain Avatar

Fast travel will be easier in SotA than it was in UO (if you didn't use Recall/Gate). You won't have to run across the entire continent. You'll just have to make it to a hex exit point, and from there to the overhead map. From there travel will be much quicker, even without Recall.

Alexander likes this.
  2. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

You can always run! ;)

Besides that, it's 20 days from where you are, but if you jump to another place, it might only be a day or even right now! Phases of the moon!

3. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

I think, that usually not the aggressors were the issue in PvP - but the potential victims, which made it barely away alive with a good timed recall macro (what PKs did not like for sure).
    I assume this is the main intention to not want it.
    But this could be easily solved, if each hex field gets a flag with various values, which will be evaluated for "unlimited-can mark and recall in and out", "out only - cannot mark but recall out", "in only - can mark and recall in, but not out" , "forbidden - cannot mark and cannot recall in/out" - with PvP zones always set to Forbidden ....
    *Salute*
    Olahorand

4. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Have to disagree with the sentiment. I LIKE fast travel. I hate wasting time when I need to get somewhere. There are times for rambling along, seeing the sights, but there are (more) times when I just want to get there and finish the quest. Traditional moongates as the only option will seriously diminish my enjoyment of the game.

Lord Baldrith and Olahorand like this.
  5. Owain

Owain Avatar

Then didn't split Felucia and Trammel because it was just so darn easy for victims to escape, either.

6. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

How will they work if you have 100 guild players attacking & 100 defending the attackers would only see around 60 of their own team online and overrun an empty Castle, the defenders will only see their guild mates.
    Will it have to be done as an instance on a private server similar to Star Citizen online battles & other FPS games.

7. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

They have a lot of options.
    1) They could increase the caps, because it matters here in ways that some normal zone doesn't. Effectively like a dedicated sieging server.
    2) They could do what Warhammer does for city sieges where there's n instances of the battle and they more or less "vote" on whether the attackers or defenders are winning.
    3) They could slice the castle into multiple assaultable zones (the main gate, the hole you create with catapults, the underground passage). Similar to Guildwars2 where it pays to spread people out.

In any case, they can cap the number of attackers and defenders to be similar. So say when you die, you get a queue waiting for someone else to die. (or whatever).

NRaas likes this.
  8. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

A very good question.

It is possible the devs could enforce a cap on the number of players from one side or the other in that case. Say, once an instance has 32 players from Guild A, all new Guild A players are shunted into a new instance. That way there is always space available for Guild B's players to participate.

Definitely something to bring up when the devs open up discussion on Guild PvP. :)

(Edit: PrimeRib Ninja)

9. DimwitTheWise

DimwitTheWise Avatar

I would be more apt to be comfortable with a directed moongate idea (as opposed to gates and recalls) if the means to transport gathered supplies was well done. Pack animals able to carry a good haul of ore or lumber or the like.

In UO when I played, it was almost a necessity to be able to gate when mining. Mine, drag and drop. And to get it to your forge, you gated and still had to use the drag, move one overloaded step into the gate, and drop as you exit destination. Then drag and drop some more. If pack animals are better implemented, I think moongate travel is more viable option then.

(obviously I am only speaking on a PvE concern, but meeting it would remove some hesitation from a lack of Recall or Gate overall)

10. dontcounttoday

dontcounttoday Avatar

I understand the impact the recall system would have on pvp, but there must be a decent trade off. Long periods of time you cannot recall or gate away after involved in a criminal action. In addition, perhaps if you are a criminal the spell takes a significantly longer time to cast and/or a higher cost to cast than it would be in a peaceful state.

As someone that ran a very large rune library on the Great Lakes shard, I have always loved the runebook system of UO and would love to see such a thing again.

Olahorand likes this.
  11. Owain

Owain Avatar

With the dual scale map, there is much less need for fast travel. Exit the 3 D instance, and you travel much more quickly, plus for greater distances, the gates are available if you plan ahead.

12. DimwitTheWise

DimwitTheWise Avatar

One of the main benefits (and concerns) I see is with player vendors. Advertising (handing out runes), lack of exploration, lack of keeping track of vendors found, etc. I see a great challenge in managing favorite player vendors (or even seeking them out) without a convenient way to return and track them.

Consider no recall, gate, or runes. Consider how many people will have homes, how many of those will have vendors, and how utterly important land rush placement would then be. Otherwise, without decent location they'd likely not be found or simply forgotten. We're not talking mere exploration that may occur initially, but the potentially thousands of vendors to explore. Out of all the things one can keep a notebook of, would you really want to have to track vendors?

Olahorand, Kal and Lord Baldrith like this.
  13. Owain

Owain Avatar

Buy locally. Support your local economy.

14. Kal

Kal Avatar

buy the best at the best price

gate and recall spells are great but i hope they have a high reagent cost and can't be used within like 5 minutes of attacking someone

15. DimwitTheWise

DimwitTheWise Avatar

Assuming a local economy provided all that was required and desired. It's unlikely "communities" will be able to across the board. Different regions, layouts, lots. A blanket statement such as "buy locally" doesn't allow for reality in our non-reality. Not likely anyways. Plus, competition is healthy and focusing only on local merchants could hurt the economy ongoing.

Kal likes this.
  16. Owain

Owain Avatar

If prices vary from place to place, that presents an opportunity to someone willing to take advantage of the situation. Buy low in one region, and sell high elsewhere. Fast travel destroys such opportunities, however.

17. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

Put in my vote a mark/recall spell. (I hate walking long distances).

Lord Baldrith and docdoom77 like this.
  18. Vargas

Vargas Avatar

The Recall-Spell with the rune stone was one of the best and unique thing in UO. It made it possible to
    • make adds for a player shop, pub or something else, including directly transport to this place
    • lay down the rune stone to the bottom and everybody in the group can use it
    • can collect a whole library of rune stones, deposit in your house and (if you want) made it public for everyones use
    • go to a specific place as fast as possible
    In other words: The rune stones gives the possibility for a lot of interactions between players. It was an essential part of the game and it was better than everything i saw since my old UO time. (And I played many mmos).

Of course rune stones make also problems. You should not port to/from really every place in the world and you should not have the ability to port in every situation (during combat, for example). But this things are easy to implement.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  19. Kodkurdu

Kodkurdu Avatar

If the problem is runing on pvp or become moongates useless, maybe they can add intervall to recall and gate spells like 15-30 minutes.

20. Owain

Owain Avatar

With the upper travel map, I'm not entirely sure there is a need for a recall spell. Get out of the 3D environment, and then you have your fast travel method there.

NRaas likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.