WoW, moving to Pay To Win?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bohica, Mar 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

Q: What do I get with my character boost?
    When you boost a character to level 90, whether it’s a newly created level-1 character or an existing character with some experience under their belt, you’ll receive the following:

• 150 gold
    • 4 Embersilk (22-slot) bags
    • A stack of 20 food items
    • Full set of spec-appropriate Item Level 483 gear
    • If a boosted character was already level 60 or above, their existing Primary Professions and First Aid are bumped up to level 600, as mentioned above
    • A faction-specific flying mount—a traditional Wind Rider for Horde or Gryphon for Alliance
    • Artisan flying—that’s one rank below max flight speed
    • Northrend, Kalimdor/Eastern Kingdoms, and Pandaria regional flying skills trained

Time Lord likes this.
  3. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Really nothing new. There's always been ways to level up characters fast through the old content if you wanted too. Scroll of resurrection lets you reactivate an account with a faction/server change and level boost. The refer a friend gives you and your friend like 3x xp...letting you get to 85+ in a day spamming dungeon queue. For alts, there's +xp gear to level fast, if you want.

This really isn't "win", it's bypassing a ton of old content to get closer to end game (the new content).

4. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

If I was to return to WoW for some reason I would consider taking part in this. I had maxed out every character type at the time of WoTL, except the warlock, and I was tired of doing the same quest over and over. If one has done that content a few times then I feel it is not pay to win....but pay to begin(end game content). I would definitely see it as a sign of a game going downhill though.

5. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

Do any of you remember what you wrote on the WoW questionnaire when Blizzard ask you why you were quitting?

6. Akeashar

Akeashar Avatar

Everyone I know that still plays it is late 20s through late 30s, and spends the disposable income to constantly change servers, factions and everything else pretty much.

My younger brother, who is 27, is considering it just for the boost to crafting/gathering skills.

7. Athelstan

Athelstan Avatar

Everytime I shut down my WoW account I always tell the crying peon it costs too much, in hopes they would lower the price to 9.99 or better ;)

acrylic_300 likes this.
  8. 3devious

3devious Avatar

It really is more like "Pay to begin..." All of my friends are at the end game so if I were to play WoW, it would be nice to skip the grind so that I could play with them. They are all spread across the servers and I got sick of starting on this one or that one.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Morghanu

Morghanu Avatar

I consider abominable paying real money to get
    Gold
    Skills
    Lvl up
    Itens that give any kind of advantage over others

Of you play a game do it properly
    Its like if i pay EA for battlefield 4 special tuned m4 clip
    Everytime i clik mouse the Bullet is teleguided to my adversary.... Last 30 rounds and cost 4.99 ... FFS

By the Looks somedAy is possível to buy single player games with boost extra 49.99 from retail price and you install assassins creed 7 special boost edition !
    First time you Run it , starts in the end game crédits... Fullfilling the buyers inner self ... wOW

10. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Paying for character stats and levels is still a form of pay to win. You hand over money, and your character achieves game mechanics (leveling) because of a direct cash infusion.

Diablo's real money auction house (pay real money to have the best items for multiplayer) is even worse.

11. prospereau

prospereau Avatar

Sadly in game purchases and boosts are here to stay. The sad fact is that games companies make significant revenue through this model. Just take a look at games in the mobile world...CSR Racing, which is about as one dimensional as you can get in terms of game play took 10M USD in it's first month of launch through IAPs.

WoT is only as successful as they are because of the in game purchase mechanism. d&D online, LotRO, EvE, the list goes on and on. I think the important issue here isn't whether or not someone can pay to better their character. It's whether or not by doing so it imbalances the game for people that don't want to pay. I've a lifetime LOTRO account, never spent a penny on in game objects or abilities, and I really don't feel any pain from the in game purchases.

I guess that all we can do as a user community is either vote with our feet or work to curb the excesses of these models.

DF.

Time Lord, NRaas and skinned like this.
  12. smack

smack Avatar

Sure, this is definitely P2W, but I see what they're doing here. For those that are new to the game and use this to skip the grind, that is purely using it for P2W. For veterans who have already done this grind many times over but want to play the endgame differently, this is definitely a legit option vs. buying WoW accounts via other means. So Blizzard wants in on the action and provides a secure way of doing so.

Besides a real P2W model would nickel and dime you from level 1 through level 90 and you'd be charged a ton more cumulatively. They could have done that, but they didn't. So yeah, this is more like Pay 2 Endgame in one step really.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  13. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Considering how quickly and easily they made leveling over the years, this seems more a money sink than anything. If you have heirloom gear (and can dungeon grind quickly with friends), you'll find yourself constantly moving upward.

My biggest complaint with WoW in general has been having enough entertaining things that I can do with my friends. There's been some movement with Flex raiding, but there's still a lot of self-grinding that gets very boring to me.

prospereau likes this.
  14. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

Level to 90 instantly? Complete proof that these single-player linear storyline MMOs are not MMOs until their "end-game" which completely contradicts the entire focus of the game before "end-game".

You won't see this poo in my sandbox.

acrylic_300 likes this.
  15. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Excuse me, I thought this was a SotA forum?....

p.s. wow died with vanilla

16. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

said a guy with a Orc Warlock avatar ;)

17. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

":D

It's just a picture. I don't care where it came from.

18. Sir Mike Dragon

Sir Mike Dragon Avatar

Along these same lines, EQ is giving away a level (85 I think) characater right now, just to get people to the end game. Don't know if you ever played it, but I logged in to grab one just in case I ever go back. That was one of the hardest leveling games I ever played (granted, back in 2001 when there was NO solo leveling or mercenaries). Grouping was manditory, and those lower level zones are quite empty now (much like Wow's outland dungeons).

19. Akeashar

Akeashar Avatar

I remember when grouping was mandatory in vanilla WoW to complete quests in the actual leveling zones, and definitely mandatory in FFXI unless you were an overgeared black mage or beastmaster. Nothing less fun than spending hours advertising in the LFG systems, and not having a bite. Its the big reason that I couldn't support Pantheon since the concept read like a big step backwards into a time when you could spend days without making any progression just because you weren't able to fill out a group, and I doubt I was the only one that didn't pledge for that reason. I'm glad many games have moved past that conceit and limiting forced grouping. One reason I like DCUO was that you could do solo, duo or group versions of the various 'dungeons' rather than being forced into trying futilely to get folks together to do runs.

3devious and Sir Mike Dragon like this.
  20. Dadalama

Dadalama Avatar

sounds almost zynga-esque...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.