Oculus Rift with SotA? Not anymore!! (Facebook bought it...)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jouten, Mar 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dhimmi

Dhimmi Avatar

exactly. with FB take on privacy if OR will be supported by ACAD that will be a huge liability ( the horror of having your confidential development files leaked... and the fall-out...)

i couldnt use ACAD until they allowed secure storage. huge problem ... not want to have this all over again... ( with a player that has a known hostile view on privacy)

and thats a shame cause OR could have some use (i think)

2. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Just to comment as a self-defined Android fan-boy and long time Android user. This was bad and has been bad, and although it was a big success for Google it did not work out for the better. Anyone that uses AOSP (Android Open Source Project) knows that Google has basically stripped Android of most of its functionality and replaced it with proprietary code only available via Google Play. So if you try to build your own device from the open project its basically useless without building a bunch of your own stuff or using Google products which comes with some big contractual obligations.

In addition, if you root your device and watch what is going on you learn Google doesn't need to give you any ads because they are already recording and collecting everything you are doing. They get far more information when an app uses the GPS or you get serves ads from any other application on the system including the browser. Apple does all the same things, but it not open about it and makes their product difficult to "jailbreak" to get control back. At least Google (in their Nexus lines) allows you to do this easily. Other manufactures, even of Android devices, are not as keen on it.

In the end I trust Google a little more than other companies, but only because they tend to be open about what they are doing and give you a way to avoid it (even if you might have to be a little technically inclined to do it). However, just because you don't see ads doesn't mean the affect of these companies shady monetization schemes aren't there.

I am sure OR will do well with the money they get. Facebook will probably make a bunch of money off it, but it will have the problems most people fear. People have just gotten used to over-sharing at this point. Good news is that it looks like Sony may beat OR to market with a commercial product and there are several other players in the market. So we will have options, and I don't see the gaming market targeted by OR staying with a Facebook product if any viable alternatives exists.

Sanctius, 3devious and Time Lord like this.
  3. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I think because the Shark Tank ripped OR apart and did not invest. OR had little choice but to accept FB's proposal. OR was looking for cash and lots of it.

OR did raise what $2.5 million on KS. Maybe it was not enough or this us the next big thing.

Jatvardur and Time Lord like this.
  4. 3devious

3devious Avatar

That episode was about Virtuix's OMNI. They just happened to be using the Rift as the display. They also epically failed to explain that you didn't need the Rift and that it was just an input device that had more applications than gaming but the guy from Virtuix framed it poorly and basically deserved what he got. I'm not sure that anyone from OculusVR was even there.

Jatvardur and Time Lord like this.
  5. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Thank you for helping me remember that it was an accessory. I think I was more excited about the OR device than the floor thing and thought they were from the same company. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

Couldn't agree more with that. It's sad to say but the OMNI guy has proven to be a greedy jerk at times and that was comeuppance. That said the sharktank guys made a massive mistake not backing it and clearly demonstrated their lack of understanding of that particular marketplace as several of the reasons they cited were flat out out wrong.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Floors

Floors Avatar

Sony and the PS4. The only hope left. Port SoTA to the PS4 Portalrium.

8. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

9. Floors

Floors Avatar

I dunno, Valve have a pretty bad vaporware track record. Half Life 2 Episode 3 ? Half Life 3 ? Steam Machine ?

10. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Well Steam OS is out, and I hold nothing against a company that holds back games until they are done. It also sounds like the VR tech is there, but they do not plan on selling it. Which is probably because that ex-employee was allowed to keep the rights to the tech. Regardless I think there will be a lot of people in this space. OR was only in the limelight because they were a Kickstarter project which basically means you can't keep anything under wraps.

A Sony product that only works with Sony products is hardly going to rock any boats. ;)

11. Floors

Floors Avatar

Well, since project morpheus was announced, there's actual hardware shots, and I have a ps3 and a ps4, it will rock my boat, and many millions of others :)

12. sammanzhi

sammanzhi Avatar

Honestly, I think this could end up as a positive thing for Oculus. I have all the best wishes for them as a company and I hope their product is seen as a great boon to the gaming and VR industry.

That being said, I will not back Facebook as a company in any manner that I can avoid. I use the service as a tool to keep in touch with friends who live far away from me and refuse to switch services, but I do my best to not give them money and support their shifty business practices.

I don't feel like this rage is a kneejerk reaction as some have implied, just an outburst against a company that those who have a vested interest in Oculus generally despise. I hate Facebook, and will not purchase a product that cost hundreds of dollars.

Thus the Oculus is dead to me. RIP you potential awesome peripheral.

13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:oops:
    I, for one, feel that natural human reactions can be "Spun By the Spin Doctors" much more than we realize ;)

So, how much does spin cost these days? "Who knows"... But I'm certain that there has been "Spin" countermeasures employed for the natural human reactions of Oculus Rift's 2 Billion Dollar income jump.... with the ages old known tactic of any old "Mule Driver"... :p

"Dangle the Carrot More!" :eek:
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Father Guido Sarducci and Jambo like this.
  14. Floors

Floors Avatar

That's true. Do you know most well known restaurants employ "brand consultants" that in turn pay people to write positive, natural reviews on Yelp and other social networks/websites ?

This comes because companies are so afraid of negative posts on the internet that a whole cottage industry

sprung up for this. I know for a fact a well known restaurant in Austin, TX does this and I bet many do...

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Gooseboy

Gooseboy Avatar

I agree as well, Gabe will save us with his own VR and HL3 supported game in the near future....hopefully.......

16. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

What amazes me is it's the guys life's work and he was gonna be stupid frikin rich anyway, Why sell out?, It just does not make sense!, He had the backing of Valve and Epic and it looked close to release, Money just poisons peoples perception of what's important in life.

17. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

18. Owain

Owain Avatar

Probably in order to be able to finance fully other projects he has in mind. That was probably an excellent decision on his part. People who are butthurt over not getting their occulus rift should maybe go out and risk their own money and develop their own ground breaking product if they think it's just so very easy, but that won't happen because it's far more easy to sit on their butthurt and complain.

People need to live their own lives, and let other people live theirs.

19. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

20. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

This is where it's heading now, Tesco's (uk version of walmart) Idea for its virtual shopping channel!

Zuckerberg see's the dollars!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.