Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Overland Map Poll [UNOFFICIAL]

Discussion in 'Release 4 Feedback' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Mar 27, 2014.

?

Which style of overland map do you prefer ?

Poll closed Apr 3, 2014.
  1. The original Roosterteeth Style

43.1%
  2. R4's paper/cloth Game of Thrones opening Style

28.7%
  3. Both

10.8%
  4. Neither

17.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DNA Cowboy

DNA Cowboy Avatar

I was so disappointed, it is probably the worst example of a world map I've ever seen, when I first saw it I thought it was some sort of joke, not the culmination of all that investment.
    To be honest I am starting to become concerned about the game generally, the graphics are just not up to scratch which reminds me of the Ultima IX Ascension fiasco. In fact, check out the game from 1999 NINETY NINETY NINE, Shroud hasn't moved on very far has it?
    (in fact from what I've seen so far of the game Ultima IX was in some ways BETTER with more polish, how on earth can that be and are we victims of a nostalgia scam?)

This map is the very least we should expect, I mean come on this is from a guy in his SPARE TIME!

I thought we were getting this:

With all the animated mountains, forests, woods, towns etc

Tarsilion, Caliya and Kaisa like this.
  2. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I like to be able to use a map sometimes when I'm eating a grilled cheeze and I can't afford to be adjusting course every 5 seconds...

But I admit I was taken aback to be forced to use it, and even more that some hexes are completely surrounded by sometimes obvious sometimes not so obvious obstacles that can leave you wandering where the exit is again. Of course its not helped by the fact there is no mini-map... and I hope the camera will be able to go back further because I kinda felt claustrophobic at times :)

It did remove the desire to explore, I also hope to be able to navigate the whole world without interruption or strange virtual limits.

The world looks amazing tho so great work there !

3. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

No, no "map" as an outdoor-overworld view!
    I would rather have a not so good looking overworld-view as in the first videos that have been released and have the devs improve on that over time. But a map is nothing like exploring a world.
    Even though the first overworld view needed some grapical polish it had a great atmosphere. You got a sense of exploring a world that felt alive and not of moving around a marker on a hexgrid-map like in a board game...

4. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

uhm ok after seeing that prototype I think thats much better, also the camera seems to move better and go further in the sequence... or it is me ?

5. DNA Cowboy

DNA Cowboy Avatar

@ DarkMoon

Yes, the earlier iteration is FAR superior.

It worries me deeply that the videos we saw of how things were going to be suddenly end up completely different and lets be honest very poor.
    However, if what is said is true that the map will be filled out with animated buildings, forests, woods, travelling vehicles, zoomable etc as stated by Darkstarr in an earlier post that maybe that would be acceptable but I would demand it being retail release-ready, not some future pie in the sky wish.

This is the most I have ever invested in a game and I don't want to end up being taken advantage of because of my love for Ultima......

Royce_Templer and Tarsilion like this.
  6. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Overland Map, Dislike
    Crafting System, Dislike
    Conversation Quest System, Dislike
    Combat, ???

We're running out of options to like!! Honestly starting to think of selling out :(

DeftAvatar, Tarsilion and Caliya like this.
  7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I think that is a bit over the top, not all of us dislike all that....you may want to change We're to I'm. Although, I woo would prefer the way they showed in teh original demos.

Time Lord and Phredicon like this.
  8. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

So, I played around with the map some last night and I have to revise my opinion. It sounded KINDA cool on paper, but in reality? I hated it. Everything about it. The look, the mode of movement: click and the game picks some convoluted path, which is slowed down by what amounts to imaginary terrain? Yuck!

Then, watching that old demo vid again, I remembered how much I liked that look. Birds flying away, realistic looking terrain, with moongates, a cool little avatar that walked around rather than being pushed on rails.

I'm sorry Portalarium team, but (and you'll agree I'm generally positive with dev choices) this sucks. It sucks big time.

Frankly, it's the first time I've felt like I'm on the end of a bait and switch. It might not be so bad if you hadn't shown us those cool videos of the proposed overland map at the beginning, but you did and this feels a little like I've been had. I'm not sure any amount of dressing up the current map system can make it rival the one we were shown in the beginning.

I hate being too critical, but I think Portalarium should really reconsider how they're allocating their resources and make this a big priority, because it's bad.

9. DNA Cowboy

DNA Cowboy Avatar

^^^^^
    What he said.

Also, I am not very happy with the graphics generally, they seem ten years old at least, the game (sans combat) so far reminds me of Realms Of Arkania Blade Of Destiny
    I understand that the game is in pre-alpha but it was a bit of a shock.

10. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I think that such a drastic change should have been communicated earlier. I backed the game because of what was shown during the Kickstarter-campaign. If there would have been a need for such a drastic change they should have asked about our opinion. Part of the fun of playing an RPG that is a spiritual successor to Ultima is exploring the world. Exploring a world that feels alive - even with a dual scale map. And not "exploring" a cardboard map...

Ungoliant, Tarsilion, foobard and 4 others like this.
  11. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

The original map was just so much better. Something like would have helped keep the game immersive and made exploration much more meaningful. Like many others have said this just looks like we are playing some kind of board game. It is sad too because like others have shown better has been done more then two decades ago. Not to mention in games like skyrim single people are managing to create mods for maps that look much better then what we are getting. Before they completely scrapped the original idea they really should have asked our opinions. I am still hoping they will see reason and scrap this new horrible map. But this late into development I am not getting my hopes up to0 high.

12. bindhamk

bindhamk Avatar

"It might not be so bad if you hadn't shown us those cool videos of the proposed overland map at the beginning, but you did and this feels a little like I've been had. I'm not sure any amount of dressing up the current map system can make it rival the one we were shown in the beginning.

I hate being too critical, but I think Portalarium should really reconsider how they're allocating their resources and make this a big priority, because it's bad."

I fully agree.

Arkhan likes this.
  13. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

I am down with the paper map along with zoom features. It definitely alleviates the need to graphical fidelity with the map and makes SotA unique in its use of dual mapping. I like it, just needs more "fun" and "intrigue".

NRaas and Groo like this.
  14. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

Agreed. I no longer care at all about housing if we're going to be playing a game of Stratego while travelling.

I get the feeling that the core elements of the game were shirked in order to take care of the foofoo Multiplayer aspects. Housing/Crafting/Economy is not very important if we can't even feel like we're immersed.

You mean it needs more visuals. and details.

15. Nemisis Dragon

Nemisis Dragon Avatar

I voted for the first, non-cloth version. The current one simply feels cheap. It also has a "done quick" feeling.

16. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Can't help myself but agree. Maybe they need to save money for other features... But if so, why not let the community help? I'm sure that some community members can help with creating a great looking overworld view that feels alive similar to the first overworld map/view but with better graphics...
    As I understood, one of the problems with the first version was that they couldn't achieve good looking visuals in the time they have left for the development of the game or did I understand something wrong?

17. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

That seems to be part of it. DarkStarr also said it wasn't unique or "ultima" enough. Now, I say: Unique isn't everything. Unique for the sake of uniqueness, at a cost, is a step backward. As for Ultima-ness. I would say the other map was FAR more Ultima than this one. I think others probably agree

18. Nemisis Dragon

Nemisis Dragon Avatar

I normally would agree, but in the video DNA Cowboy posted the map was pretty much working. And I expected this one in this release. Imho there's no need to get help by the community.

It looks for me like a design choice by the developers. The new one is probably much easier to extend. I really hope they'll change their minds!

19. Lord Blackheart

Lord Blackheart Avatar

I agree. Since it sounds like this feature barely made it in in this build, it looks good. If they can continue to expand upon it and enhance and improve it, I think it holds a lot of promise. Let's see where it goes in the next build.

20. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

I really like what i see in the new map presented.

Please take in consideration that you are comparing this new basic map with semi full featured map systems.

It will be gorgeous with zoom in/out capabilities, fog, mini-avatar, little animations, etc.

Please! be open minded, try to see the potential.

lemonkey likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.