Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Combat: The Minimum Expectations of 21st Century RPGS

Discussion in 'Release 4 Feedback' started by DNA Cowboy, Mar 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DNA Cowboy

DNA Cowboy Avatar

[​IMG]

Any forthcoming rpg worth its name has to have combat animations consisting of a number of moves, the very minimum being:

Attack:

1: Thrust
    2: Swing
    3: Backstab

Defend:

4: Block
    5: Parry
    6: Riposte
    7: Shield Attack
    8: Kick

Associated with these animated moves should be a number of combat maneuvers:

9: Roll
    10: Back-step

Each arm must have a minimum of two attacks:

Standard Attack
    Strong Attack

For south-paws the player should be able to map the right arm to shield and the left arm to weapons.

And finally:

Ranged Combat:

11: Draw standard
    12: Draw Strong

The bow or crossbow should be able be used in 3rd person mode as well as a first person 'zoom' mode.

What is very important today is that each weapon set has its own animation, for example a spear has a long thrust (standard) and a wide sweeping attack (strong)
    A sword (depending entirely on type) has its own series of animations, a sabre would have a slashing attack and a rapier a thrust.
    Most forthcoming rpgs are using what has become the standard for RPG combat; Dark Souls, I have attached a set of videos showing you Melee, Parry and Riposte:

2. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Just in case. You do know the combat system itself is not in the game yet? This is a very basic placeholder currently.

NRaas likes this.
  3. DNA Cowboy

DNA Cowboy Avatar

Yes, I am well aware of that, thanks :)
    Can I ask what do you think of my premise?

4. Salix

Salix Avatar

Even though I like it, I don't think first person aiming needs to be implemented, and I wouldn't mind at all if it wasn't. I think it deviates way too much from all the skill cards and basic premise of the game.

The other stuff you proposed seems about right, but also isn't paramount and doesn't seem relevant to this Release 4.

5. DNA Cowboy

DNA Cowboy Avatar

Agreed, perhaps first person ranged combat would deviate from the skill cards; however, I would disagree with you about proper combat being paramount, I don't think the community could stand yet another dated point and click rpg :)

Combat along with alchemy and exploration was at the heart of all the Ultima games, remember Ultima Underworld even developed the first person genre.
    Mr Garriot was way ahead of his time then and I can't see how he could not implement a combat system as least as good as the Dark Souls series which as I stated earlier is pretty much the new standard (see Deep Down and Bound By Flame)

Finally, I believe the post to be very relevant to R4 as combat was introduced, subsquently a discussion needs to be had about the way combat will be implemented.

6. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

Can that guy parry Artorias of the Abyss cause I am still stuck at that boss watch me FAIL!

But I just love Dark Souls combat because it is so precise, Such precision is yet to be done in a MMO because of lag and ping. But yes that combat in SOTA would be awesome I just love to do the handspring dodge.
    ps I nearly beat him the other day and I feel I will soon lol!

7. DNA Cowboy

DNA Cowboy Avatar

Wait, you forget, Dark Souls IS multi-player with millions of players on at the same time and open to lag yet it succeeds brilliantly.

Caliya and Joviex like this.
  8. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

But the multiplayer is instanced for one on one, (which I love) so it runs better. Tera is the closest.

9. ThePompousPeasant

ThePompousPeasant Avatar

Nice ideas and suggestions here! Let's hope when combat is ready they take some of this advice :) I'm sure they want to make it the best possible with the tools/budget they have.

10. DNA Cowboy

DNA Cowboy Avatar

I can't see how they couldn't implement most of the above requirements considering the ones listed are the bare minimum necessary in any recent rpg.

11. monxter

monxter Avatar

I like your ideas, and I agree there should be a variety of strikes / moves regarding combat. I think the combat pace will be less hectic in SoTA, compared to DS, but I'd love to see such versatility in SOTA as well.

12. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Although i can see where your ideas may work, I must also point out dark souls is an action rpg, emphasis action. It works due to it being very simplistic in the rpg side. It's whole focus was combat, who needs character interaction;)

We need some of the ideas you listed for sure though, do I think it will be at the level of dark souls? Not likely. What I am hoping for is the skill system and magic system work well together and have a seamless interaction.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Andri

Andri Avatar

Something like World of Warcraft or Final Fantasy combat should be good actually.

I love Dark Souls, but it's a different genre compares to this game....

14. ZooK

ZooK Avatar

As much as I love Dark Souls, I don't think its the standard or the model that every single modern RPG should have to follow.
    Action RPGs have their place, but so does more traditional ones.

NRaas likes this.
  15. DNA Cowboy

DNA Cowboy Avatar

Many traditional rpgs are following the Dark Souls combat format now, it isn't limited to action rpgs.

16. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

which ones? I can't think of any actually.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Cowboy based on your criteria South Park The Stick of Truth RPG counts! :)

Time Lord likes this.
  18. redfish

redfish Avatar

19. DNA Cowboy

DNA Cowboy Avatar

Witcher 3, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Deep Down, thats three to come to mind without even checking.

Look, I used the Dark Souls video and the game's combat routines as a suggested benchmark for rpg combat not to say that SoTA has to BE Dark Souls, not at all.

re: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/magic-combat-and-crafting-skills.3937/

I read all that when it was first put up and was very pleased to discover that they devs are taking combat seriously and happy in the knowledge that Darkstarr HATES mmo's, it means that Shroud won't be yet another point and click mmo but something new and innovative. The card-based combat should be awesome; however, what I really am asking for is that the combat has the associated animations to go with the actual move. I want to see my character carry out the combat rather than some suggested 'idea of combat' if that makes any sense. Gamers are increasingly demanding that combat and the associated magical moves be visually realistic.

20. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Witcher 3 I can debate a bit since witcher 2 was the exact same....the other two are action rpg's.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.