info about pvp

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Isaiah, Apr 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Well for one the PvP that is proposed by the team so far is an incentive based, item based PvP. Owain said in that last thread that got locked that there was an uproar of sorts (when the PvP megapost was released), but it wasn't widespread enough to make major changes.

I say that many people who were bothered by it have left and we don't hear there voices here anymore. The problem with a "magic the gathering" style card combat system, and a watered down PvP system means that once the story is over the endgame is weak. Also they like to say that this is not an item based game, but on the other side of the mouth they say we want people to be able to go out adventuring with their best gear....

Why not save your best gear for when you think you have a better chance to not lose it? Use your best gear when you are traveling with a group or your whole guild, and use medium level gear that you aren't afraid to lose when you travel alone. However instead we have a "system" for pvp that amounts to stacking up kills and gaining PvP items and PvP specific skills...

Tell me why PvP couldn't just be the same game (SotA), but with the option to be attacked and to attack another person in game? You really don't need all that other stuff. Guildwars are fine and having a guild castle that can be attacked is cool... but the other stuff is not nessisary. In real life I could learn Karate to defend myself, or I could go use that karate to beat the hell out of an old woman and rob her of her purse. There's consequences for those actions, but I shouldn't need a system to tell us how to attack a person, and when we are allowed to defend ourselves or others.

I also don't understand why we need special PvP only skills. If anything that deters people from flagging for PvP because you might have the best character in the land, but then you are level 0 PvP and another guy who's been PvPing a long time has maxed out the PvP only skills and not only does he have more PvP experience he has bad-ass skills that gives him even more of an advantage.

The point is PvP was it's own reward. SotA had the chance to get it right this time. Since it has a selective multi-player system in place it was able to sort people naturally. If you don't want to PvP you never have to flag for PvP. It's still that way. Yet why not have some loot? Maybe not full loot, but significant looting of players (flagged for PvP). Instead we are getting death penalties, and item ransoms. Maybe this system pleases the people here that is sticking around this community, and the old school PvPers have all left? Regardless I'm very concerned about the state this game is in with it's random card based combat system (Even our spells will be dealt to us randomly from a deck???)

So things are subject to change still. Good! Please remember to also keep listening to the voices of all the people who posted all year long in the PvP threads. Some of them may not be here anymore, but their old posts still speak! Also please keep time set aside to change the combat system.

Oh one last thing... yes Lord British did call SotA the spiritual successor to UO and Ultima, and even visited several UO freeshards to promote SotA... A misleading move if this game wasn't to resemble UO in any way. IMHO the people who are still playing UO freeshards should stay where they are because this isn't the UO2 they were looking for.

2. Floors

Floors Avatar

What is it with PvP threads and hard to read colored fonts ???

Do you really need that much attention that you have to do that ?

Yeah, well.... I for one am glad we don't hear some of those people.

People that wanted unlimited ganking and then complained they were marginalized when they didn't want to make any compromises to the other players at all... that's not cool.

People that left before even the first version of PvP was in the game to test out....

I'd much rather have a community of role players that like to PvP sometimes anyway.

3. 3devious

3devious Avatar

This community is too small to be glad that anyone is gone.

4. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

This right here.

The combat system has not even been put into a pre alpha and it's stuck with a negative label. Same with PvP.

We don't know that combat or PvP will not be fun. If we come in expecting something other than what they are making, be prepared to not get what you want. The devs have a game plan. We can't expect to tell them how to change it when they have not finished showing us what that plan looks like.

5. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I agree. I've criticized the combat system enough. Now I just want to see it so we can move on.

I have very little interest in ganking and gate hopping PvP. And am very much against anything with a criminal system for all of the obvious reasons. PvP should have a point. The castles are a good place to start.

Dhimmi likes this.
  6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Hmmm all these posts, which are basically the same thing. Don't you guys have any other interests in the game? It would be nice to see a bit. Anyone who left before they even showed anything will be back later when there is more to see...some of them invested money....some didn't.

I say give things a chance before going all haywire. I don't want to have all my gear stored in a bank to use when I think it is safe to use it. That's silly.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

That's fine. Mark my words if the combat is limited to: Stand next to a person and wait for the right combo to come up, or wait for your spell to come up ... there will be massive riots in this community. However I'll just say in advance ... I told ya so...

They need to have some way to move in and out of combat with the ability to change speeds, so as to not stand right next to a person doing DPS, and hope a combo comes up. We've already seen what the auto strike is like... EXACTLY WHAT I PICTURED... no way for players to move in and out of combat faster than other players... (i'm thinking PvP here not PvE). In PvP players need to be able to be mobile and able to change speed or it will be the same as world of war craft where you stand next to a person and do DPS with the bonus of having cards pop up. NOT FUN, not competitive either. In UO you could run off if you knew you were at a disadvantage for a moment because people moved at different speeds.

I'm not saying that some people should be faster than others... no... all people should be capable of the same speed but the ability to adjust how fast you are going makes it more of a challenge to keep up with a person who is trying to escape. In fact it gives you the opportunity to escape, an opportunity we did not have in World of Warcraft because the person I was running from moved exactly the same speed.

I understand that some people want to see it before passing judgment, others can visualize it and already know they don't want it.

KEEP IN MIND I'm more upset about the spells being random. Combat skills not so much. However I don't need to see the system to know I do not want to have a spell caster and not be able to cast any spell i want at any given time!

8. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Not just PvP, this will effect PvE as well.

9. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

Its not an item based game yet the biggest feature revovles around unique items. How odd. Theres a word for that

And having pvp specific skills sounds like buying the cow when the milk is free all u habe to do is rewrite current skills to have different effects in pvp

Just have to make doubly sure that u jave the regs to cast that soell if it procs. Likely it will proc something continually and youll be short certain regs and abundant in another

These have got to be th weiredest systems ive seen in a game

blaquerogue, BillRoy and Isaiah like this.
  10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I do have other interests in the game but those parts seem to be going well. It's these issues that I think will ruin the game.

For example some dukes are arguing about their lot size not being big enough. I don't have to argue that because one I'm not a duke and two I think PvP and the combat system devalue the game as a whole let alone a our lots in game. Get my drift?

There are parts of this game that are great. The story... I like the crafting, and I can see that will likely get more streamlined. I like a lot of this game that's why I pledged. However the points I made I will keep driving home because they are what is going to ruin my investment.

blaquerogue and TemplarAssassin like this.
  11. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I'm glad you like a percentage of the game, my droogie.:p
    As for me, I care nothing for crafting, story, "quests" or housing, I'm strictly here for PvE and PvP.
    I'm still here where/when it appears much of my brethren (and sisteren) have dropped out due to the combat related apparent 'ball-drop'.
    The reason I havent wandered off or quit in disapointment and/or disghust is the same quality that keeps me PvE/PvPing...stubborn tenacity.
    I've never been that skillful, but I'm the last to quit.
    I bought a ticket and I'm going to ride this buss right over the cliff.;)

Isaiah and blaquerogue like this.
  12. Margard

Margard Avatar

[​IMG]

Isaiah and BillRoy like this.
  13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

If combat sucks, I will stand side by side with you, right here, making posts attempting to come up with changes.

blaquerogue, Isaiah and Dhimmi like this.
  14. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I don't think they'll listen, friend.:oops:

blaquerogue and Isaiah like this.
  15. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Billroy's post above is sad but true. We posted and posted what we hoped the combat system would not be like and when they did the mega post it was exactly everything we didn't want. lol no joke. Same with pvp.

When they have something in mind they want to do they totally ignore us and then get shocked when we don't like it, even though we posted so many times saying we would like this or that and not that or this...

This has been true with the combat system for sure. We said stuff like please don't make spells come up as random cards. In fact I said that never thinking they would actually do something so ridiculous, and they did. I'm sure it will change before release. Certain of it.

However I think they've frustraited a lot of really good people out there, and many of the people in this community are hard core supporters to their death... who wouldn't be if you donated 1500 for a lords house? I think some people are just to afraid to speak up, and when people do speak up everybody attacks them for speaking their mind.

I posted something about groupthink months ago. This community really ought to look into the meaning of groupthink and each person evaluate themselves to see if they are just going with the flow, and trying to win the approval of the devs too. Just my opinion, but it really seems there's a large group of people who just love the Pen of the Avatar and have no real opinions of this game except YAY EVERYTHINGS GREAT EVERYTHING YOU DO IS SUPER!!! (And anybody who disagrees is a troll). lol sad but absolutely true here. This community is groupthink central.

16. Floors

Floors Avatar

I hereby dub thee the pessimist thread

Lord Trenyc and NRaas like this.
  17. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

They have a plan, they have not had their chance to put it out there. Right now is not the time to get them to change things. Suggest things to build on their plan, yes, change no.

At some point, they will want to know if things are working. That is the time to slap ideas for change on them.

I refuse, you can't make me!!

Dhimmi and tradyblix like this.
  18. Veylen The AenigmA

The thing is if they dont do combat first theyxwill be up against a wall and wont have enough time to fix it should anything go wrong. Thats why critical game elements such as this need to be done first and give cthe most time and priority

3devious, blaquerogue and BillRoy like this.
  19. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I think a lot of people are too financially and emotionaly invested to dare to speak up.

100% true.

20. Veylen The AenigmA

Preaching to the choir. Its almost as if its a direct attack on investors because it somehow questions their decision making in donatig to a game without any fundamental designs in place. Just like throwing the dice to me thats why i refuse to donate until theres some meat with those taters

Isaiah, BillRoy and blaquerogue like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.