Npc life

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Aldo, Apr 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

If you want to have the NPC population seem more realistic, then NPC families living in NPC houses should have NPC children. It's not a proper town unless there are children hanging from rope swings and playing in the mud.

Sonnington, Arianna, lonadar and 5 others like this.
  2. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

Yes! I can't remember which game it was now, but one my hubby was playing a while back had children running through the streets. I don't recall seeing that in a game before, and it gave such a feeling of life to the towns. :)

3. Jimirillo

Jimirillo Avatar

I don't know about UO but the single player Ultima games featured children.

For example, Ultima 7 featured children and babies quite a lot, a few were parts of quests (rescuing a baby from harpies and discovering one who was taking serpent venom as a form of steroids). You also had them in towns running, playing and watching a show, you even had one as a companion.

So I would like to think they will be included in New Britannia.

4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I believe it depends on if you are able to kill everybody in the world. I believe there could be problems with being able to kill children and babys...

5. Jimirillo

Jimirillo Avatar

In the single player games, children killing was known. I believe in one of the early games there was a part where you rescued a bunch of children from some sort of prison, and when you opened the doors they all attacked forcing you to kill them (I never played that mission but I heard about it on one of the dev videos).

I know what you mean though as in Fallout 1, the children were removed for that very reason, and as this is not a purely single player game, it may be viewed differently.

6. Tane Mahuta

Tane Mahuta Avatar

In The Witcher series there are lots of children playing in the street and they say random things to you from time to time. It makes the world feel very alive and real.

Definitely hope they put in the concept of families and children in SOTA - at the moment I keep wondering 'where do all the locals live?' since there only seems to be all this player housing around.

Also, there are so many Outworlders and hardly any locals! Hope that changes once we come into Alpha/Beta :)

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  7. Ceal Astra

Ceal Astra Avatar

It'd be great if players could adopt, and eventually (in a non explicit way) produce, NPC children. Raise them, send them out into the world. Hire NPC Nannies and Governesses and Tutors, provide basic needs. Less micromanagement than in The Sims, more story than the children in Skyrim. If you were a good parent, maybe they'll write or send gifts now and then. or give you a family discount, if they ended up replacing an NPC in town, eventually... Neglected kids could run away, be street urchins, or be reclaimed by the orphanage.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  8. redfish

redfish Avatar

Children need pet dogs to play with too :) Remember in U7, Tobias would always be with his dog in the flower meadow around Cove.

Every time I play a release, I ask Guard Michael how his family is doing. He has no idea what I'm talking about.

Lord Baldrith and Tane Mahuta like this.
  9. Ceal Astra

Ceal Astra Avatar

Aww :) maybe he will remember in a release or two more!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.