One account, one character. Are you cool with that?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Canterbury, Apr 11, 2014.

?

One account, one character. Are you cool with that?

Poll closed Apr 18, 2014.
  1. Yes

78.4%
  2. No

13.8%
  3. Unsure

7.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I don't want to give anything away but there has been some discussion on their thinking about how you should be able to explore all skills and how they thought they would allow that. I know RG has mentioned early on he wants players to feel like they don't NEED to have more than one character in the context of being able to explore all skills.

I will say though that I'm not at all happy with what they presented as their current thinking on how to go about that.. but the main point is that it remains an important goal to allow players some kind of means to change your skills. So anyone who's worried about that I hope can be put at some ease at least.

Skill progression and distribution is one of those topics I will continue to pursue whenever it comes up to try to come up with the best solutions possible and I hope more people join in on those discussions as much as reasonably possible. We won't all agree with the devs or each other but it's something that really needs to be done right.

Time Lord and The Hands Of God like this.
  2. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

That is so true.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Eldgrim

Eldgrim Avatar

One character is great. It keeps people's identities and thus reputation a strong part of the game. It also removes a major headache for me. No longer do I have to have a slot for each character type in order to find some sort of perfection build-out. Now I can just role play a specific character and go with it.

rild and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  4. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

Well, for me it is fine. I know some people like to have each character have an identity of its own, but since I only really plan on working as a crafter, it doesn't hurt me. And if I am ever bored at the time I can change my gear and go slaughter things without worrying about logging in and out and keeping track of 50+ characters. :D

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Not exactly. You were saying how nobody will be able to swap specs daily. I'm saying that I will have three characters, so I can, for example, have one swordsman, one mage, and one thief, and swap between them daily (or even faster) for free. The same overall effect as swapping specs, specially at the end game.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

Completely love it. The reason I can't bring myself to play Ultima Online anymore is because I got tired of the one friend logging out and swapping between their blacksmith or their tamer or their mage or whatever the situation dictated. It ruins the immersion and ruins the need of other players.

I generally never have an alternate character other than to try out or investigate another playstyle.

7. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I voted for one character. However I am concerned with the current direction with the thinking on this. It will take a lot of time and dedication to become a crafter. Finding resources, discovering recipes, vending... these things take lots of time. Time you cannot devote to developing skills in other areas. That said, crafting and vending is not my only interest. I enjoy adventuring, questing, dungeon crawls, some pvp, and a multitude of other things too. I am having a very hard time coming to grips with the fact that after mastering the crafting/vending class, I will have to give up the skills earned if I want to pursue other interests for awhile. The statements by higher powers is that it just is not right for me to have too many skills available to me at the same time because this interferes with the social dream of interdependency is insulting. Individualism has as much social value as dependency. I wish the team was making room for both instead of forcing us to be so dependent on one another. I would just like to have the choice to shelve skills earned in order to develop in other areas if I want. This does not mean that I, as a character, am being deceptive. I can maintain my "character" while playing a mage, paladin, vendor, or crafter. I don't want to be forced to depend on others at the cost of giving up my hard earned skills if I choose to do something myself. The team should consider some sort of soulstoning of skills that will encourage people to interact, but preserve their hard earned gains if they so choose.

enderandrew likes this.
  8. Lord Ulysses

Lord Ulysses Avatar

i voted yes one character. But i DO NOT like the idea of everyones character to be able to wield each and every skill or the ablility to change spec on a daily basis! As much as i loved liserning to the deep dives i was hoping at the same time some of these isusses to be adressed also.... the last 7 days to the one year anniversary, the halfway point of episode 1. I thought it would of been the perfect time to discuss some of these things and kinda start to set things in stone.

Some people might say i dont care for crafting and others vice versa.

Should characters be aloud to put skill points into just the crafting skill tree in order to be able to craft more things then if they were to distrubt points into adventuring and crafting? (how will they defend themselfs) with the taming skill perhaps.

Should all the skills go into one big tree like UO and players are given the the choice entirely?

Should characters all be able the have the same entitlement to adventuring skills, but players at a higher pledge tier have access to more crafting skills, as they come with houses and work stations and generally cost more etc etc?

this is what ive been waiting to hear since kickstarter or any disscusion from the devs related to this topic in general would be nice....will i need 2 or 3 characters to be able to sell most items from my store? or can i sacrifice adventuring skills in order to make more crafting skills on one char? what is the current insight of all this???

The Hands Of God likes this.
  9. The Hands Of God

The Hands Of God Avatar

Should characters all be able the have the same entitlement to adventuring skills, but players at a higher pledge tier have access to more crafting skills, as they come with houses and work stations and generally cost more etc etc?

i like!

Dean Valentine likes this.
  10. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

11. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I voted yes also. I do believe in limiting the skills though. I believe that no one char should be able to know all the skills. If everyone can do everything, the market would be stagnant. We need to be able to be a piece of the world, not the whole world.

12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"I Totally Agree With Limiting Skills On Everyone"

I feel that RG must forget whatever he learned as an astronaut, forget what he has ever learned in fencing or forget how to create games for us all to play because he is shamelessly keeping the remembrance of all three!
    The nerve of that man to know so much!:mad:
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

13. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I love to have alts. They allow me to focus on different builds and different styles of play. In EQ2 all of my alts live together are in the same guild and pool all of their efforts. They're kind of like a virtual version of that show Herman's Head.

My Avatar will certainly not be me. I spend enough time with myself all day everyday.

14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

However the Avatar we play in the game is designed to be you. However you can change your appearance and even your sex, and even your personality. Nevertheless it's still you according to the game. Other people will play it as you. I will personally role play my character as me. I will also talk about star trek and other Earth things in game with other role players and if they don't like it I'll tell them hey it's just me, and I'm from earth.

However if you don't like the premise of the game you can always imagine anything you want. Just have alternate accounts. However a change in personality and appearance isn't unheard of... like a Dr. Who regeneration. The whole personality can change as well as the looks, but it's the same person, and has the same memories... Even if you are acting out a different character you still have all the memories and same thoughts as you because you'll always be you. Get use to it.... learn to love yourself. ;)

15. gtesser

gtesser Avatar

I am more than okay with one character per account.

"Hey bro, you wanna join our party and help us kill this dragon?"
    "Sure. BRB while I log out this fisherman and switch to my other character in uber armour... I can be tank too if u need 1"
    :eek:

16. Ceal Astra

Ceal Astra Avatar

One Riot, One Ranger.

17. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I'm sorry that we're friends in real life, but I can't group with you because I only have one character and it doesn't match the group composition you're looking for.

18. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

That could be true if they are looking for a healer and you're an axe wielding bludgeon fighter. Also why can't you hang out with your friends? Good, evil, or indifferent... you can party up with anybody, and if they are on your friends list you can see them. You can even switch to FPO and adventure with them.

you can be good or evil and still travel with your friends, because from what I gather Friends playing with Friends is one of the highest priorities of multiplayer in this game by design.

EDIT: Unless you are a strict roleplayer... but that is your own personal restriction not the game limiting you.

19. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Seems a little pointless when many have lots of accounts so it's mainly a cash grab designed to sell more game accounts now.
    If it was a genuine concept to have only one char any extra accounts would have to be linked to separate email addresses and why allow multi land deeds and housing owned by one character.
    If their is money to be made it won't be long before anyone can purchase an extra character slot from the add shop.

Silent Strider likes this.
  20. UnseenDragon

UnseenDragon Avatar

I don't follow the logic of your argument. Clearly it's as easy to make extra email addresses as to buy extra accounts (I would imagine most people have more than one email account). Also multi-land sales are so people can own multiple properties - a house, a shop, their farmland, etc....
    I believe that the single-account offers a lot in terms of the game experience. I can't imagine THAT many people will have multiple accounts, certainly not enough to call it a cash-grab. What, 1000 extra accounts maybe? That's $45,000, not exactly breaking the bank. If that's their attempt at a cash-grab, I'm a little underwhelmed.
    I would be a bit disappointed if multiple character slots appear in the add-on shop. But if it does, send me a PM, and I will tell you I was wrong and you are right :)

Beli likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.