Star Citizen - down to its last 1600 alpha slots

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Canterbury, Apr 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

SotA and Star Citizen are like cousins to each other. They both sprang from connected minds that are at work in each. SC is a long way from becoming a game because of it's wants in perfection.
    I recently purchased a Constellation Pledge into SC, which is similar in bang for the more buck $ as our Knight's Pledge is here, but cheaper and I feel quite happy about it.... but one more similarity I see between the 2 games, is that their tiered pledge levels both have breaks within them, where there seems very wide gaps between some levels of pledge $.
    I pledged to Constellation level there at SC for around almost $300.00, with the next level being a pledge of $1,500.00... and here in our SotA, I pledged to Lord's level, where the next step in pledge to Baron, seems like quite a leap $.

But we will be playing our SotA much more quickly than SC will reach any playability by the public.
    Just thoughts on the comparisons...o_O
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

2. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I wasn't aware of that. I believed it to be the crowdfunded money plus about another £4 million after the sale of Frontier shares.

Regardless, my point was that the game is a long way behind what Star Citizen is doing, ie: no planetary landing, no FPS, no getting outside the cockpit at all.

Elite, as I said, is very good at what it does -- being in the cockpit, dogfighting, etc, but people who want the deeper experience are generally going to go Star Citizen, I think.

Time Lord and Roger36 like this.
  3. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

ED does have plans to increase the game's scope in further expansions, though to the best of my knowledge what that means exactly wasn't said. I believe atmospheric flight and walking around have been tossed as possibilities, but I would have to hunt for the quotes.

(BTW, isn't planetary landing in SC, apart from just automated landing on a starport, a long term goal? I believe Cloud Imperium was setting up a group to research how to procedurally generate planets to allow that, and it would take quite a bit of time after launch to be added.)

Also, ED is using procedural generation to recreate our whole galaxy, while SC is planning to have around 100 star systems at launch if I'm not mistaken; for a player whose focus is on exploration, ED might be a far better fit than SC, with a far larger amount of content to be discovered. On the other hand, SC might be more interesting for those that want a larger amount of player-driven conflict, since it will be concentrating it's player base in a quite smaller (though still large) scenario.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

Don't know about the planetary landing, but SC did have a stretch goal for procedural generation:
    • Procedural Generation R&D Team – This stretch goal will allocate funding for Cloud Imperium to develop procedural generation technology for future iterations of Star Citizen. Advanced procedural generation will be necessary for creating entire planets worth of exploration and development content. A special strike team of procedural generation-oriented developers will be assembled to make this technology a reality.
    Was a $41M stretchgoal that was achieved.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Yep, it's what I was talking about. It wasn't in the original scope for the game, and attempting to add it would likely result in delays, so it was added as a long term goal (which I believe was the right way to handle it). Planetary landing outside handcrafted landing zones requires that.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

Could you imagine them licensing the tech behind the procedural generation? Maybe even have it so it isn't restricted to their scope, but allow for the tech behind the procedural generation (if awesome) to be licensed from them.

Then more developers could use the tech to procedural generate content for a game that looks like a hand-crafted world. I believe (don't take this from truth as I don't know much about it) that there is procedural generating tech out there. But if SC could make it so much better, then they could license it's use and make more money to put into their game world.

Just a what-if thing, and I probably don't have any idea what I am talking about. :D

Mercyful Fate and Time Lord like this.
  7. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

The passion for ED that I'm seeing is awesome... and allow me to repeat, I've backed ED as well.

But SC is the superior game in terms of features, both at release and in terms of long term goals. It's also got the deeper pockets. These are all undeniable facts.

Besides, this thread wasn't even designed to be a discussion on ED anyway, because I know it always turns into a comparison. Let's get back onto SC. Thanks.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Numa

Numa Avatar

637 now - it was 642 a while ago. It gives me a kick to be able to wield the futuristic version of the SOTA crossbow in SC and the medievalized Vanduul polearm in SOTA :) Cross promotion is a very good thing when done right.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Roger36

Roger36 Avatar

Why all the misconception about SC being a "deeper experience" a "better game" you have seen the the evidence here first hand I can understand the fanboyism surrounding SC and I truly believe it will be a great game in its own right once all the the hype and bull**ht has gone Hell I backed it too I got a freelancer as I fully believe Chris Roberts is not a clown and neither is David Braben! SC and ED are two very different games that can and will exist together!

But look at what ED has to offer a fully working scientific galaxy as we know it today in laymans terms if you want to go to a place in charted space you can go there in game its a fully working 1-1 scale galaxy all the rest of the galaxy that humankind has no idea is procedurally generated 100 billion star systems all generated in real time i.e. every planet revolves around the sun and every moon revolves around the planet including black holes comets nebule etc etc as you would see it from any point in space (yes its a fully simulated galaxy with no exeptions) not like the static 100 star systems of SC. (apologies that is really sounding a ED fanboyish but its the truth).

And the some the content creation that ED can do can be found in Zoo Tycoon which used the same in house engine that frontier developments created as ED and is currently a "AAA" game out on the Playstation 4 now which is some of the best creature creations of any software house available. which bodes well for the future big game hunting DLC as well and seamless planetary landings walking on space stations and EVA

Anyhow give it a shot in the future you never know you might even like it. Ohh god forbid it even could be a better game than star citizen! now put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Roger and out commanders!

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I've also backed both SotA and Star Citizen... Royal Founder Knight here, and I started off as a Freelancer in Star Citizen, but added on a Rear Admiral pledge (rather than upgrade) because I wanted both my Life-time Insured Freelancer and the Constellation.

I'm not sure what came over me... I upgraded to Knight here and Rear Admiral in Star Citizen the same night.

I ought to go log into Star Citizen and see about this new stretch goal.

Time Lord and Numa like this.
  11. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

For the third time in this thread now, I'm an ED backer. I'm across it. Thanks.

I'm also a bit disappointed you've turned to talking about SC "fanboyism" (ie: in a disparaging way), simply because there are folk here, like myself, who are happy to go into bat for the game. And doubly so when you're the one who raised ED, and started waving the flag for ED in this thread. If anything, the last few exchanges have been the result of ED "fanboyism" and your need for ED to be noticed in a thread that really has nothing to do with ED at all.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Roger36

Roger36 Avatar

Apologies I was only dispatching some of the myths that some people have, the whole article was not aimed at you personally.
    I just wanted to clarify some points raised here!
    I will go scuttle off into the wild blue yonder and feel free to gank me in sota when its released!

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

No problem, however, even in what you've been saying, there are "myths", if you like. For example, SC will have a procedural galaxy as well, not just the 100 systems you are mentioning in your comparison. And that's exciting because it means the galaxy will be huge in scope, but there will also be those original systems that have lore and storylines built into them, giving more depth than something that is just procedurally generated, without human input.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Roger36

Roger36 Avatar

And may your gaming experience be a fruitful one ;)

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

You too, Roger. I will likely see you in all these great games.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Sir Edreamer _MGT470

Sir Edreamer _MGT470 Avatar

358 Star Citizen 'Alpha' Slots left now https://robertsspaceindustries.com/
    Your Hoe of Destruction Vanduul Polearm and Iolo Industries Crossbow await ! :D

Re Elite Dangerous, For those where interested but who understandably find the £200 ED alpha cost prohibitive (they're tied to the original KS tier costs), Alpha purchases close in a few days;
    From 30th May the "Premium beta" (£100) opens, later a "standard beta" (£50) and finally the full release (pre-order price £35)
    If you order the Premium Beta now, you'll get access right away to the Single Player combat build of 10 missions - essentially the original, very polished Alpha release 1.0, which I highly recommend

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Yea, the cross bow is cool :)
    There's nothing like being liked by another company and liking them back.
    I think these games are cousins enough that I decided to carry my SotA Avatar's Shield to SC and use it as my Avatar there.
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

18. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Yes, the technology does exist. Both Elite II: Frontier and Frontier: First Encounters used procedurally generated planets to populate a whole galaxy — and Elite II is over a decade old. Everquest Nexus is going to use procedurally generated terrain as the basis for the map (which should allow things like seasonal changes, having rain and snow affect the terrain, destructible terrain, a full cave network spanning the whole game, and many other things that would be impractical to craft by hand). Minecraft uses something similar to great effect (each Minecraft map is larger than Earth in surface area, and they are only limited at all because going too far from the origin could result in game instability). And so on.

The tech has to be adapted to the game engine and the aesthetics of the game, though, as well as adding extra layers of content to the generated world. Star Citizen, for example, likely won't settle for just basic terrain and weather patterns; they will want cities and other similar civilization trappings.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

Thanks for that information. It will be interesting to see what SC does develop in the end.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

One of the many reasons I backed SotA is because it supports Linux. Apparently neither SC or ED intend to offer Linux support. If and when they do I'll buy it.
    I hold some sliver of hope for SC due to the recent Crytek Linux announcement at GDC.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.