Lackluster combat

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Soviet_Union, Apr 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soviet_Union

Soviet_Union Avatar

From what ive seen in R4 the combat is... well god awful. From what ive read it seems like its going to stay on auto combat too. Come on guys what is this 2004?

This game really needs a selling point and so far i see none. There are micro transactions up the @$$ and rumors say they will be adding an ability to buy the game currency. I seriously hope i am totally wrong because i want a game with good combat and TOTAL player control over the economy of the game. So far future is looking MEH for this game.

BillRoy and Time Lord like this.
  2. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

R4 combat was not what is going to be in game. It was just auto attack. They will start adding in the combat system in R5 and beyond...it's going to be very unique with a deck system. No need to judge the combat system from R4 it's not what we are going to get.

The selling point of this game is the Story and the depth of gameplay. A deep crafting system, persistant housing, EPIC storyline, Mega Huge map for exploration...Interactive items in your house and in the game...Ya, many things that you just do not see in the games of today and yesterday.

3. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Given that you've only just arrived in the community and haven't even downloaded the pre-alpha game (per an earlier thread you made today), let alone experienced it, those are some pretty strong comments.

If you are truly doing some background reading on what's already been tested, you will already know the way combat was presented in R4 isn't the finalised version of combat in the game in any way, shape or form.

Some good reading here on how combat works; decks; noble skills; focus skills, etc: https://shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/lets-talk-about-combat.4094/ I suggest reading all of that, first.

4. Soviet_Union

Soviet_Union Avatar

Well i have seen about maybe 1 hour of gameplay of the R4 release, so meh. Also the way he describes the future combat is that it will still be lame auto but I was a little confused about the other details, sounded like quick time events???!??? Maybe they should implement a combat system with more skill involved, like something similar to mount and blade.

5. Soviet_Union

Soviet_Union Avatar

In R4 the exploration was very limited in terms of moving while looking at a map. Do you know if thats how it will be final or will they make it so you dont have to transition to a map everytime you leave a main spot?

6. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

The best visual description of the system so far has been a Six Month progress video where Richard previews their thoughts on how the system may operate.

It is linked in this post if you wish to view it : https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ck-system-should-work.5941/page-8#post-146926

7. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

They are implementing the combat system they want to implement. Perhaps it won't be to your liking, yet perhaps it might really appeal to 10s of 1000s of other people.

At the end of the day, it is what it is. But one thing I would really caution anyone is that what you've seen in the game, thus far, has only been a placemarker for a future system.

8. Soviet_Union

Soviet_Union Avatar

Do you really like an auto combat system? Or would you rather have something you have total control over? Most MMOs have auto combat system so this does not really make this game special, most mmos have alot of micro transcations, so does this. The crafting system is really nothing to brag about either... See the pattern here? Theres nothing thats really going for this game.

Sorry if it seems like im whining, i just want this game to be good but i see alot of flaws.

9. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

If you read the article in the URL I posted in my original reply, you will see that, in the final game, auto-attack is the base option. There are other, more complex and strategic options on top of that, for those who want them.

So I'm not sure why you keep coming back to complaining about auto-attack when you won't have to use auto-attack at all in the released game, ie: why are you complaining about something you never have to use?

10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

This isn't the game yet. It's only pre alpha testing systems.

If you get a chance watch the Deep Dives on the home screen. and welcome. Don't worry about the combat, that was not the combat. You ain't seem nothing yet.

11. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

The combat systems weren't ready for this release. If you watch Richard Garriott demo the game for others, he has a skill bar and can select different spells and abilities. These features are turned off in our early releases because they're not ready for prime-time. Future releases will turn on more combat systems for us to test.

It will not be basic auto-combat.

Bodhbh Dearg and MalakBrightpalm like this.
  12. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Your character might have an auto attack, but that's not bad. UO had an auto attack. Actually, if you were melee, auto attack was the only thing you had, until UO changed hands and the new devs added in combat moves.

Now, taking a step back from UO, remember if you will all the games you've played where your character would auto attack. Did you ever kill anything with auto attack? Did auto attack change the game in any meaningful way? Did it even really do much of anything, besides let you kill chickens? What is wrong with having auto attack in the game?

If you're still worried that the R4 videos show what the final game will be, take a gander at the current Early Access schedule. You'll see that R5 and R6 will feature gradually more robust combat systems. We don't know what that will look like yet, but we know there is more coming.

13. Colt47

Colt47 Avatar

I actually spent a lot of time looking through all the progress they made on the game since the start of the entire kickstarter, and given what we are seeing right now I'm not too worried about the combat system looking sparse. Alphas in regards to backers is usually a window into seeing what the developers are cooking up, rather than an attempt to actually sell the game on a concept.

14. Aegis159

Aegis159 Avatar

Ok I have to ask, where in the 9 levels of hell are you seeing microtransactions? What's in the store is add-ons you may purchase now, but are not required. The Prosperity tools I believe are the only thing that won't be available in-game, even though crafters will be able to make tools of the same exact level (they'll just need to be fixed whereas the Prosperity ones won't). All of this stuff is to help push the funds to the devs right now to get the game made... IF they stay for sale AFTER the game goes gold THEN they're microtransactions.
    There isn't any other game out there right now that goes into this kind of depth crafting-wise. Yes, the interface is a work in process, but the mechanics and the ideas behind them are much more detailed than anything else currently offered. Hell we haven't even seen all of crafting, let alone Alchemy.
    And as others have said, we haven't seen combat yet at all. We've only seen an auto-attack.
    Sorry if I sound bitter, I just don't understand posting such negative prose when one is so new to the forums.

15. Soviet_Union

Soviet_Union Avatar

Micro transactions are micro transactions, having them before a game is released makes them even worse and foreshadows more.

16. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

If Portalarium can make a few bucks before, during, and after release by selling fluff to help support the game then I have no objections. This is the current model in use by all games that are either Free2Play or Buy2Play. As long as I'm not forced to make purchases that are Pay2Win it's fine. If that changes then I'll be the first to join your chorus.

17. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Having the transactions pre-release makes them development funding. I'm sorry if you feel offended that some people are paying to have this game made. Really, did you even look at the list of things we could buy? There are things for sale that cost THOUSANDS of US Dollars. Those aren't MICROtransactions, they are thinly veiled rewards for crowdfunding the game. Without that store, there IS NO GAME. We aren't just lining someone's pockets here.

I personally dislike it when a game like this DOESN'T have an autoattack, it helps in coordinating other moves. If EVERYTHING is under my control, that's a euphemism for every move and breath my character takes depending on my pushing a button for it at the appropriate time, and that level of micromanagement takes away from my ability to coordinate more complex tactics. This isn't an arcade platform fighter with timed combo moves that have to be entered like secret codes. If you want to build a fireball chucker, this system will strive to let you do so. If you want to play a close and dirty knife fighter with dozens of stylized moves, this system will strive to let you do so.

Critiquing a placeholder for being uninspired is itself uninspired.

18. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

I'll judge the combat system after trying it... as for SotA being Pay2Win... yes, it's Pay2Win... people Pay so that this game can be made and that's a Win for everyone... ^_^

19. Floors

Floors Avatar

I'd like to add please keep in mind this isn't an AAA title with tens of millions in funding.

It's an indie game with a diehard community of fans that just wanted to see ultima done right - not forever (lol)

So you know, from the beginning we had to sort of temper our expectations.

We're hoping that it will be fun enough and we'll be able to get a long enough runway going with it over the next couple years it will be viable.

So everyone understand your concerns, they're valid, but we're just trying to be positive.

If it doesn't work, it doesn't but nobody really wants to read a bunch of the sky is falling posts because we've seen them all already over the last year.

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  20. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I don't understand where you're coming from. To me, you seem so unimpressed and fearful of the game's future, you're never going to play it. So why waste your own time complaining here at all?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.