I'd like to see people's pledge levels attached to their forum profile...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Canterbury, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I'd like to see people's pledge levels attached to their forum profile.

Not because I don't believe people when they talk about their pledge level, or even for "poseur" value. Nope, I'd like to see if someone with a brand new account who hits the forum and starts talking smack about the game is actually a backer or not. Wouldn't you? Particularly as it seems to be happening more and more often, I would greatly appreciate that ability. I'd like to know if someone's actually put their money where their mouth is... or is just all-mouth.

2. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

I'm a poor bastard so my pledge is just the $45 USD level... T_T wish I could pledge more... T_T

3. selbie

selbie Avatar

Only show whether they have pledged or not and if they are founder or benefactor. It should not matter how much they have pledged.

4. Margard

Margard Avatar

Maybe not pledge level - but a green dot or something that identifies backer status or something

But regardless if they backed or not ... or if they talk smack or not ... its in everyone's interest to be polite to everyone

General rule of thumb for this forum - if your getting frustrated because some posts are rubbing you the wrong way its best to take a break from the forum :)

Ryoken, Alexander, Tarsin and 7 others like this.
  5. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Nothing wrong with that mate. You have skin in the game, and that's all I care about.

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

And play with a ferret.

7. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

OK, that's fair, too. I'd have no problem with that as it satisfies the reason I want to see it happen, either way.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Well, maybe some people doesnt want to show that. Its personal also.

Lord Albert, Joviex and Time Lord like this.
  9. Margard

Margard Avatar

Dam skippy :p

10. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Conversely, if someone with a brand-new account pops up on the forum and takes a huge dump on the game, I'd like everyone to see whether they're a backer or not, so their words can be judged accordingly.

I'm all too familiar with forums where these people pop up, and they have zero skin in the game, yet they rabbit on like they're the world's biggest backer, and their comments should be addressed ahead of everyone else.

Khloec, Lord Andernut and Time Lord like this.
  11. selbie

selbie Avatar

/ignore also works wonders on your sanity as I've found out :p

Joviex, Canterbury and Asclepius like this.
  12. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

I wouldn't mind something that shows whether a person is a backer or not. Even a general forum title that is always displayed that says 'Backer' would be fine. I am not one to show how much money they pledged to the game though. That is personal and their own business.

Hopefully it wouldn't lead to a separation in the forums of, "Oh, you aren't a backer? Well, your opinions don't matter." Not saying it will, just don't want to see that. And I can see the benefit of knowing who is a backer if all they do is create an account to trash the game.

Canterbury, Asclepius and Time Lord like this.
  13. herradam

herradam Avatar

I understand the want to distinguish people who may just be trolling, but I would prefer not to have my financial contribution broadcast for all to see.

14. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Then, as was discussed earlier in the thread, we'll just make it a sign as to whether someone's a backer or not. People who don't want overly small (or large) pledges will not have to reveal that.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Margard

Margard Avatar

The problem though - and its happen to me - is when you get a person who genuinely says something that comes off bad and they are just posting / possibly because they don't have forum etiquette that some of us have developed

It can run some people away - even the folks that don't write on the forums

It usually best to let them out themselves than us trying to guess and possibly / unjustifiably label someone a troll (trolls out themselves fairly quickly - the problem is that it takes two to tango and we have a lot of willing dancers :p )

NRaas, Khloec and Canterbury like this.
  16. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I think it depends on what someone's saying, to be honest. If someone's ranting and raving like a lunatic about what "must" be in the game, etc, and then you look and see they haven't even dropped the base amount on it... well... o_O

Sir Bradley White and Time Lord like this.
  17. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

I could get behind that idea, for the same reasons Canterbury gave. Whether or not a person is a Founder, Royal Founder or whatever makes no difference to me, and how much they pledged is personal - if they want to say that's fine, but some people wouldn't and I don't think it's information that the site should automatically make public. But I do agree that knowing whether or not a forumite has actually backed the game would help when assessing their opinions. :)

Of course there are people here who haven't actually pledged, which is absolutely fine, and perhaps they're waiting for more details and a bit more progress before they do. Opinions of all sorts are welcome, I'm sure, so long as they're phrased politely. It's the ones who've not actually played at all because they don't have access, but are ranting about things based on stuff they've read and acting like they do know first-hand what they're talking about, that are irritating. Fortunately I don't think there are too many of those, but I don't read everything so maybe it's worse than I think. ;)

18. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Oh heck yes, I think I've got about half a dozen people on /ignore at this point in time. I can take quite a bit but, eventually, I will sideline people if they're just... well... you know what they're like ;)

19. redfish

redfish Avatar

@herradam,

I'm not sure people really need help to determine who's trolling, myself. :>

A backer label on the forums certainly wouldn't bother me at all. I'm just skeptical whether it will result in any good.

20. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

YES! And even they come in two "flavours". The first are just genuinely odd people and are relatively harmless, if annoying. The second flavour, however, is more deceptive. They are the people who, clearly, have set up new forum accounts to spew views that they don't want to spew from their main account. They're so easy to spot. They're brand new accounts, from in between tests, yet speak with genuine knowledge that could only come from being a longer term member.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.