I'd like to see people's pledge levels attached to their forum profile...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Canterbury, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aegis159

Aegis159 Avatar

THIS +1

Margard likes this.
  2. christania

christania Avatar

I believe that those taking the time to post concerns or even discontent for whatever reason in these forums have vested some level of interest in the game whether or not they have pledged. Maybe they are unsure or on the fence, but why waste your time to post if you don't even care. Most would just leave without saying anything...

Margard likes this.
  3. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I try to gauge concerns based on the merit of their argument, not on whether or not I think they've thrown money at the game.

smack, Golem Dragon, Joviex and 3 others like this.
  4. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I personally don't think it's any of our business. It sucks people can come in and do that, but we have to hope the mods are monitoring IP addresses and keeping a watchful eye.

smack, Jatvardur and Joviex like this.
  5. Milzer78

Milzer78 Avatar

As my friend I would agree with your points. However I can also look on it from a PoV where there is undoubtedly bad feeling where people have moved on as things did not go their way or perhaps just do not wish SotA to succeed (not everyone can just walk away and let things lie) and want to damage it.

6. christania

christania Avatar

That's a good point.

7. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

If this game and its community can not stand up to trolls or criticism, it does not deserve to stand.

I am perfectly fine with a "BACKER" tag, but not a pledge level. That is simply divisive to the community.

Milzer78 and Parallaxe like this.
  8. Milzer78

Milzer78 Avatar

Aye agreed.

9. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

Backer/Founder tag approved & kinda find it odd that we dont have forum icons or something for it allready. But as long as that time , that could have put to forum tags, has been spent making better game I dont care :)

Canterbury likes this.
  10. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Because my suspicion is that people are creating dummy accounts to rant and rave with. While their "original" account will likely have a pledge attached; their ranting account won't. Just something to keep in mind, re: these folks.

tradyblix likes this.
  11. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

You can generally tell who is an alt account...they have the same layout of their replies....ie lots of CAPS.

Ceal Astra and Canterbury like this.
  12. Floors

Floors Avatar

Lord of the Manor. Or Guilt Pledge lol

13. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

duplicate

14. iwanbo

iwanbo Avatar

I think a combination or mix of these two would be perfectly fine. e.g. green dot represents benefactor, yellow dot represents founder.

I do not agree with showing what people's pledge level is as that is sort of a personal matter for each individual. I am a very big fan of Ultima (and Lord British games in general), but for some it would create a dynamic I don't believe would be in the best interest of the community. I'm not saying it would happen, but it opens the possibilities of threads/posts going ignored by others because they're "just adventurer level" or "just first responder level," so that means their opinions are null and void because they didn't pledge as much as I did! That would do more harm that good for everyone here. Every pledge is a pledge that has helped make this game what it is for all of us to enjoy, and to potentially segregate the community based on how much money they spent on it is ridiculous and irresponsible in my opinion.

Milzer78, selbie and Margard like this.
  15. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I'm not against the idea of just showing if someone's a backer or not, but in the Star Citizen community, it gives the people the option to show their pledge level, which most do, and it's caused no problem, in a much larger community.

16. Ceal Astra

Ceal Astra Avatar

I think something that denotes that one has pledged anything at all might encourage some of those on the fence to crack the wallet open. The ability to display your pledge level could be a nice feature, but only as an option.

17. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Why does it matter if people have pledged or not? There's enough smack to talk about the alphas if you're playing them expecting a fully-developed game. Even backers have made the mistake of posting as one of their first posts a rant about how bad the game is.

There's no reason we should dismiss the concerns of non-backers. If someone comes to a forum and complains about how bad this or that is, the approach should be the same: explain where the game is in terms of development and why it's not fair to judge the final product by what we can see now. It should make absolutely no difference if the person complaining is a backer or not. Even for backers, there's certainly the potential for them to pledge more, or to leave in a rage and pour their grief-stricken hearts out on some other forum.

IMO making public whether or not users own a pledge will only lead to players who have pledged outright dismissing the negativity of players who haven't. You know what that is? Fanboyism. There's absolutely no value whatsoever in preaching to the choir, yet still, people very frequently insist.

18. Kurt_Russell

Kurt_Russell Avatar

As many other said, showing if people have pledged or not would be the best option. Showing how much have they pledged could lead to unforeseen consequences.

19. Ryoken

Ryoken Avatar

This is really all that's needed. Over on the SC forums the pledge level is, at times, used against a person or used as a way to try and show superiority. Which is all ridiculous.

All backers make these games happen, not just the ones with deep pockets, so a backer flag would be nice, but not a title/icon related to pledge level.

Margard likes this.
  20. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

You're entitled to that opinion. Me, on the other hand... call me strange, but I'd rather know, if I'm sitting through a rant by someone, whether they've actually played the game or not. Is that really so strange?
    Well, in that scenario the question in my mind is where all their negativity comes from, if they haven't even played the game? I see nothing here, for people to be afraid of, unless they are pure trolls and trying to hide it.

Time Lord and Lord Trenyc like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.