Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Compass

Discussion in 'Release 5 Feedback' started by Browncoat Jayson, Apr 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I've been thinking about the compass UI, which is a huge addition that eases navigation. Hopefully this will eventually be tied to *owning* a compass, and not just a standard UI element, but that functionality can be added later. I'm more concerned currently with its form.

The compass is probably too large at the moment; since the only valid heading is straight ahead, you don't really need to show as much of it as current is. Only enough to see the next hatch in each direction.

We could also keep the same UI element in place when you zone into the Overland Map (whatever form it takes), so we can use it for a Sextant.

Plus, of course, it should be in runic, not english.

[​IMG]

2. Margard

Margard Avatar

I think runic compass is a tad much ... if the purpose of the compass is to facilitate travel and alleviate comfusion - adding an extra layer of complexity does not help

- I would prefer a compass that "looks" like a compass .. not a bar

3. stile

stile Avatar

Agree with margard :)

Lord Baldrith and Time Lord like this.
  4. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

Also agree with Margard! :D

5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

interesting looking compass

I liked the look of the compass though. What talented people are making our game. It was really nice to have a compass.
    Altho this compass looks really cool.

6. Kailef

Kailef Master Bard

As a dyslexic man with a famously bad sense of direction... As much as I think the idea of a compass with runic lettering is a great idea, I personally would just go for a narrower band. Or an actual on-screen compass.... Wait! How about the ability to buy (or craft) different compasses with different faces and shapes, so those who want a runic compass can have one, and dimwits like myself can have one they can more easily read!

That sounds rather promising, and fairly easy to code too. Supremely awesome feature? Maybe not. But, exactly the sort of neat idea that would add even more immersiveness to this great game.

7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

A compass that pointed to the hex exit would be nice :)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

8. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

No, thanks for a runic version. If they make it optional, why not, but I think the developers have more on their tables.
    *Salute*
    Olahorand

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

The compass is nice, but without a map...the compass is not much use.

10. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

That's why we need a mini map, showing the exits...

I'm thinking we need a page in the mini map or a Translation book or parchment, so we can press one key to quickly de-cypher the language...

Exactly, I think it's planned for eps2 or 3, but I think we need a mini map sooner, than later...

11. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Ugh, mini maps. I really hope we don't go there. No floaty windows with little dots showing where everything is, please.

One of the Pen of the Avatar episodes gave us a glance at a drawn map if Owl's Head. Having that for each area, perhaps created through a Cartography skill, would be nice. A pin could show where the player is, and they can figure out the rest.

12. stile

stile Avatar

As far as minimaps. Id prefer a secondary map program. Tools to mark locations as you want. Zoom into sub maps, etc. this is probably beyond portalariums time to do. Im sure well see a fan made one (as is typical). So i wouldn't worry about mini maps to much.. If they don't add one to game well get one from fans. Reason i prefer this? Not only more features but i can put it on a 2nd monitor and not clutter my screen.

Kaisa likes this.
  13. UnseenDragon

UnseenDragon Avatar

I assumed that the compass was just a widget they dropped in as a placeholder and that the final version would look like a "real" compass.

I have to admit that minimaps are really convenient, but they are also a major crutch and I don't think fit with the feel the team is trying to create.

Now providing a nice mapping tool which is semi auto/semi manual might be good (something along the lines of UW1).

Dame Lori, Kaisa and Browncoat Jayson like this.
  14. Kailef

Kailef Master Bard

To be clear, if there were a mini map, I'm talking about geography only, not a radar that shows where people and points of interest are. I don't personally want any sort of data available on the map with regard to living creatures, that's a huge immersion breaker and crutch, I think.

Or, forget the "mini" part altogether? Just provide the ability to buy an in-game map of a town that you can physically look at? That along with a compass would be good enough for me. (Plus, who says that it's entirely accurate? One can still have hidden surprises that you don't see on the map you just bought at a vendor...)

There's a reason that I'm so gung-ho over having some mapping assistance, despite my wanting to have an immersive gaming experience. I don't know how many other people share my particular problem, so I'm not sure that the things I want would really be useful to the bulk of the player base. My issue is that I am directionally challenged to the extreme when I play a 1st person (or 3rd person camera-behind-the-avatar) type computer game. My brain knows that when I'm sitting in my chair in front of my monitors, I'm facing to the East. I can turn my avatar in any direction I want, but my brain insists that I'm looking in an easterly direction in-game. This makes navigating without a compass and a map in the game quite a challenge for me. I'm so bad I can almost get lost in a one-room village cottage!

(Pardon my slipping slightly off topic here) When I step away from my computer, I almost innately know my facing and location without thinking about it; I've always had a great sense of direction. I suspect that's where my trouble comes from - My direction sense that serves me so well elsewhere feeds me the wrong input when I'm in-game, reducing me to a confused child who can't find his mommy. o_O

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  15. herradam

herradam Avatar

I would like to have a mini map. Just give us the option to turn if off.

16. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Didn't use the compass once. Was a wasted effort for me. I try to figure out my position relative to landmarks or entrances / exits, so a compass unlikely to ever be useful. An in-game map would be far more useful, doesn't need to be a mini-map/radar though (wouldn't break immersion for me).

17. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

I don't think a simple mini-map that we could toggle on/off would break "immersion" at all. I agree with Kailef above when he says it should be geography only, with no data on objects, points of interest, monsters or people. This way it would just be a convenient way to get out of a jam, if say you are stuck in a cave for hours, just going around in circles. It could also be useful if you are lost in the Owlshead Prison and cannot find your way out (like I was in R5 lol).

Naturally, the areas we have not discovered yet could be blacked out, that way nothing is revealed that we have not already seen! I don't see how the methods above would be breaking any kind of immersion or hindering adventure.

Time Lord, Lord Baldrith and Kailef like this.
  18. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Doppelganger,

But getting lost can be fun, and so can finding your way out of being lost. Things like bread trails and so on can be fun adventuring.

Though, a lot of the earlier Ultima games had gems, and you could see a map of the area if you peered in a gem. Other games, like M&M had Wizard Eye or Eagle Eye spells, and cartography skills. I think these would be fun solutions for people who get lost easy.

[​IMG]

Browncoat Jayson likes this.
  19. Floors

Floors Avatar

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.

Browncoat Jayson likes this.
  20. Floors

Floors Avatar

In these good old days, signs were in runic and you had to decipher them.

And because you had to, people did. and It was fun.

I think peering gems for a quick overview of the area would be a great idea and a touchstone.

But no auto map, quest markers or other hand holders. Let's make the game challenging and fun instead of a speed run candidate

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.