Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Overland Map Changes

Discussion in 'Release 5 Feedback' started by Browncoat Jayson, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Polls are garbage. They tell you nothing. Even the ones I agree with.

herradam and Margard like this.
  2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

According to the poll, yes. I cannot know what those want who do not vote, so their voices cannot count unless they vote.

Even if we did a poll again it should be an official poll by the devs.

3. Margard

Margard Avatar

The poll is a bit tainted - it was the 1st iteration of the map - an R5 map poll might be in order with a simple

Do not like

Would like if improvements were made (read my post below)

Do not like - and do not think I would ever like - even with improvements

4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Maybe it should be more simple like:

Keep the new map

Revert back to the 3D map

But I think the devs should do an official poll or at least tell us what their plans are with the overland map. Do they still consider reverting to the 3D map or do they stick with the new map no matter how much we criticize it.

5. Margard

Margard Avatar

Your poll works too - but they are addressing different things - hell start them both

I don't think it would be wise for the devs to have a poll - it seriously could turn into a **** storm - with all good intentions and all

that would be like taking the titanic and purposefully run it into an iceberg :D

docdoom77 likes this.
  6. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

From the 'Week of April 18th Dev Q&A' thread:

Maybe we'll get a few answers, or at least a bit more information, if they do this?

7. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Yeah, I think with the attention these threads have been getting the dev's will or should weigh in on where they see the future of the overland/world. - The sooner the better.

I still don't like the total change in appearance, going from a realistic looking world to looking at a map. But I can live with it if they make it fully functional. It also needs to feel like I'm playing as my character still.

Aegis159, rune_74 and docdoom77 like this.
  8. Margard

Margard Avatar

That question was not answered :eek: in the thread where the answers are listed (at least not as of right now - others were however)

9. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

We are right on the same page on this one!

10. argyle

argyle Avatar

just a minor point here, not attempt to invalidate or support your argument, but there are ~34,500 backers. the 'new britannians' number refers to the number of registered users on the SotA website.

11. mike11

mike11 Avatar

I were in charge there, I think I would say copy/paste over-world experience from Ultima 4 (since we clearly can't have a U7 or UO map). Start from that old school map gameplay experience and then modernize it where applicable.

12. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

13. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

14. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

I was wondering which 'founders forum' they got answered in... is it Dev+, or have I just missed it in the flurry of new threads this week?

My browser crashed and I lost the post I was working on, but I was saying something about liking some of the R5 changes. The fabric texture along with the more subtle indented hex lines gives the map a 'quilted' feel, which I like, and the waves, clouds and so on do give it a certain quirky charm. However, I'm not sure they go together very well, I think perhaps it should be 'all paper' or 'all fabric' and not a mix of both.

I'm not sure if the devs can do anything with the art to make it look like tapestry, for example? (Sorry the pictures aren't very clear - this is part of something that seems to be known as the 'Sheldon Tapestries', 16th Century maps of four English counties. [Linky])

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This might well be something that people hate as well, but at least it's a consistent style rather than 'mixed media' and is just a suggestion for consideration. :) The place names in Runic that many people like are something that could be retained, and 'embroidered' onto the map as in these examples.

I think one of the other problems the map has is that it's not sure what it wants to be. If it's not going to give at least a visual impression of being a 'real world', is there any point in having to move our flag/avatar around it? Why not just make it for fast travel and let us click where we want to go?

I do like some of the suggestions here, such as having a very basic map to begin with and only showing more detail as the avatar moves closer to the area or learns of places of interest from NPCs, but I'm not sure how well it would work with the current map style (whether paper or fabric). I suppose that after we enter a particular hex, all the hexes surrounding it on the map could be filled in with a little more detail so that we see it when we exit to the map again. *shrug* I really don't know at the moment what would work well!

mike11, Bimmer and Khloec like this.
  15. Margard

Margard Avatar

@Karrolanth

They post answers in the founder section - by firelotus

16. Minoc

Minoc Avatar

While the new additions to the map do make it look better it has not changed my view on the new map feature at all.

I was very much looking forward to exploring on the overland view. Finding places to gather materials/reagents, chasing down monsters, avoiding towns under siege, running away from dragons, etc...ohh so much fun !:)
    With the new paper map, I can't see any of this working well at all.

From what was originally described, I was expecting to spend a lot of time on the overland view traveling from location to location in an exciting and potentially dangerous manner.
    However the map we have now is just a scroll to desired area and click. Nothing exciting at all.:(

Overall I can't actually say anything positive about the new map versus the overland view we were shown over 12 months ago.

Many people have stated the map is only a fast travel system, to get from point A to B.
    To me the overland view was so much more than just a fast travel system. It was a core part of the game.

I will still enjoy the game if we are stuck with the new map, but it will mean a big change for me.
    It will turn the game from one I intend to play for years (UO) into one that will take less than 1 month (Dragon Age).

If it was my decision, I would delay the release in order to complete the overland view that was originally advertised.
    Leaving it out just sounds too much like a publisher stepping in and forcing its removal to hit a release date.

17. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

This. What Lord Darkmoon had to offer.

[​IMG][/quote]

Ravenclaw and LoneStranger like this.
  18. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

If it would turn into a shitstorm then they would definitely know that there is something wrong with the new map.

I thought about what would happen when the game is released. Gamers who did follow the development of SotA and magazines will compare the game with other MMOs. I think that they will not have consideration for the game having been created with a low budget. All they see is a new (MMO)RPG. The graphics won't be AAA which will be a problem for the game, if we like it or not. Then the game does not have an open world like most other MMORPGs and they don't care about why this is so. And then the overworld travel will also look like a pop up book? Even if they would compare SotA to other indie games, even those games use "better" ans more immersive graphics for overland travel - take Legends of Eisenwald for example. So I think the overland map could get the game into a lot of trouble, simply because most gamers do not care about stylistic games but instead want great graphics.

Sir Stile Teckel and Joviex like this.
  19. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

They never sold the map the way you described it, this is more what you wanted the map to be.

However, this issue really needs to be talked about by the devs..I would really like to know if they plan on adding alot of functionality to the map at least.

Aegis159 likes this.
  20. Dirk Hammerstrike

Dirk Hammerstrike Avatar

Give it fog of war until I walk around it. Give things labels once someone tells me it's name and where it is (if my avatar isn't already there). Doesn't have to have a "you are here" marker if that might destroy immersion for some people. But something to more to navigate would be nice. For bonus points, let me add annotations like drop a pin and add text like "so-and-so is here".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.