New SotA-Kickstarter for more features?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Apr 26, 2014.

?

Should Portalarium start another Kickstarter for SotA to include more features into the game?

Poll closed May 10, 2014.
  1. Yes

8.2%
  2. No

91.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Should Portalarium start a second Kickstarter for SotA to include more features into the game?

For example more and more diverse scenes per hex, complex companions and a highly detailed gorgeous looking, lush, living 3D world map with lots of animals, monsters roaming around an more fuctionality like hole up and camp, treasure hunting, discovering things, day night cycles and weather effects etc. which would be visually stunning similar to these overland maps:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Or even a zoomable 3D map that becomes a paper map if you zoom out enough:

[​IMG]

That second Kickstarters can be immensely successful shows the MMORPG The Repopulation which was succesfully funded via Kickstarter but the devs startet a second Kickstarter to include more features into the game and this goal was exceeded, too!

A second Kickstarter would give the devs more money for additional features much faster than they could get it by continuous crowdfunding via the website to reach stretch goals - especially if there is some deadline for the release.

2. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

no, you are panicking. You are posting in multiple threads saying basically the same things.

Just calm down.

3. Margard

Margard Avatar

Do I have to say that I like the "landscape" - not the figurines or castle depictions - of endless legend

- on a side note - I don't know if this is true or not

I read on another forum that the company responsible for endless legend started / or placed game on steam and they still have not finished another Kickstarter project

4. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Launching a second KS for Episode 1 sends the wrong message.

They could just announce stretch goals and allow funding to continue to come in as is.

I truly don't understand why they aren't doing more stretch goals.

5. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Shouldn't Portalarium take every opportunity to make the game better? So if other games showed that it can work, why not do it also if it could mean a better game?

Also a new Kickstarter would have marketing effect for the game, too.

6. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Why kickstarter? Anyone can still pledge.

mitchellhamilton and Eriador like this.
  7. Margard

Margard Avatar

Possibly because they already have a lot on their plate ... adding more would not help I think

Jatvardur and mitchellhamilton like this.
  8. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Faster flow of money that could speed up the development process and create a better game. Also free marketing effect.

9. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

You can do a promotional campaign inside of this site, you dont need a KS. Something like a special promotion in the store with limited cool aesthetic items and a SG or something.

10. enderandrew

You want to avoid feature creep, but if the stretch goal is high enough, then you can afford to hire new staff to cover the cost of the stretch goal and then some.

ShrineSeeker likes this.
  11. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Don't you think that much more people would look at a Kickstarter campaign instead of a specific gaming site many people don't even know about?

Right now you for me you send the message: "Other games have succeeded with a second Kickstarter but Portalarium doesn't need the extra money and marketing. Why should they try something to get more money to make the game better?"

12. Margard

Margard Avatar

I don't know what the dollar sign and time / number of staff it would take to a map like some of the ones you guys/girls have posted but would like to find out ... at least that way if they do make it a stretch goal we know what needs to be raised

13. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

You can understand whatever you want.

Jatvardur likes this.
  14. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I really think the DEVs need to comment on the whole overland map thing...I think it is driving me crazy that every thread a certain poster posts about it. Just say anything to get it out.

tradyblix and Eriador like this.
  15. enderandrew

Pathfinder launched a 2nd Kickstarter for the same project and they barely met their funding goal. They were ripped publicly for being dishonest about what they were asking money for and what they were promising to deliver. People threw around terms like fraud, shameless and people demanding refunds. And despite two rounds of funding, they haven't launched. But they ruined their reputation. I wouldn't call that successful or a good thing.

When Double Fine Adventure was massively over-funded from what they asked for (and what they said the needed), and then they got revenue in from other games, and then they did a Humble Bundle to raise more money, and then they sold it on Steam Early Access for more money, then they announced they could only afford to make HALF the game and were going to release the 2nd half as a separate game, people were outraged that they wanted more money. The KS backers were still getting both halves, but how dare Double Fine want more money? People demanded refunds and their name was drug through the mud.

You're saying these examples are a good thing and something SotA should emulate?

16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Why not let them build what they have planned and all the backers paid for before throwing new things onto the table.

Eriador and Margard like this.
  17. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

You mean the 3D overland map that was shown and what I paid for? ;)

If you be honest with a second Kickstarter it can work, honest as in "the community demanded more features and we want to give it to them but the game we announced during the first Kickstarter will be delivered nonetheless" - just like The Repopulation did it.

18. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Why is the style of the overland map so important to you?
    I understand that it is... I just fail to understands why.

NRaas and Dhimmi like this.
  19. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I'm at a loss why anyone can't see this is a knee jerk reaction and a horrible idea.

NRaas, Jatvardur, tradyblix and 2 others like this.
  20. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I explained elsewhere but will it explain it again:

We do not have an open world like in World of Warcraft or other MMORPGs or even like in Ultimas 6 to 9 or Ultima Online. So there is no real exploration aspect of "exploring the entire world". You just explore scenes and those scenes will repeat themselves over and over again as not every hex has an individual scene.
    So if we had a detailed, realistic looking 3D world map like it was shown in the Roosterteeth and RTX demos this would create the illusion of exploring the entire world. You would walk around on a world that feels alive with animals roaming around, dragons flying by, trees swinging in the wind, gypsy wagons driving around etc. This realistic looking living 3D map would create a totally different atmosphere than looking at a paper or cloth map. Right now we shove around a flag on a map, with the old map you walked around as your Avatar in the world.

For some of us, the map is not just a means to travel from point A to point B but also adds to the atmosphere by just walking around in a lush, living 3D environment. For some of us this would add so much to the atmosphere of the game as it would look like a zoomed out view of the scenes instead of a paper map. This would also have the benefit of not ripping you out of the immersion of the scenes that much as we have it now. Suddenly seeing this cloth map after leaving a scene totally rips me out of the game.

Another thing is, the 3D map was shown during the Kickstarter campaign and for some was part of the reason why they pledged and suddenly and without telling us this is totally changed which some of think is not ok.

Sorry if I think that the game could be much better...
    Sometimes I think that some people here are angered by others who try to involve themselves, have ideas and don't just accept everything the devs do with rose colored glasses on. Maybe it would be better to just say yes to everything...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.