Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

R5 Comments & Suggestions

Discussion in 'Release 5 Feedback' started by Sir_Hemlock, Apr 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

CONTROL SUGGESTION:
    Forward movement [right mouse button]
    Interact with world [left mouse button]
    Look around [simply by moving the mouse around]
    It will make movement less awkward.

INVENTORY SUGGESTION:
    Snap-to-grid. This will stop items from being misplaced outside of the backpack, and in the open air. It will also be faster to drag the tile rather the miniscule handle of an Axe that one can barely see etc.
    Also:
    Single click and drag [drags all bunched items]
    Double click (to select amount to separate items]
    Lets not smash any more poor defenseless barrels and crates. Lets open them and look inside.

OVERLAND MAP:
    Good! Works great now it has been sped up :D
    Needs some indication of time of day or night. Perhaps with a clock and either a sun, or moon.

COMBAT:
    Worked as expected (with the exception of some immortal foes).
    On one occasion the enemy attack sound was not audible.
    I think turn-based combat is a great idea. I don't know if this is the ultimate intention for combat, though.
    Please get rid of the awful glowing neon rings under enemies or include the ability to completely turn them off.
    If visual feedback not possible, please include dialogue such as: "skeleton lightly wounded, skeleton heavily wounded, skeleton is vanquished/dies" etc.

SPELLS:
    We should be able to cast any spell outside of the combat environment. Such as casting a fireball at a sconce to ignite it, healing an injured deer etc.
    Noticed the heal spell did not do anything.

CAVES:
    I feel that a lot of the cavern passages are too narrow.

WATER:
    Aesthetically, we need some rolling waves in the distant sea toward the horizon so it doesn't appear as a flat line. Changed my mind on this.

TORCHES:
    Torches only illuminate your character, not the passage ahead where light is desperately needed. Grant us more light.
    I hope to virtue beds and camps make it possible to pass the nights in Single Player :p

CONVERSATION SYSTEM:
    Undecided on clickable keywords.

PERFORMANCE:
    Noticeable performance decrease since R4 in multiplayer.

MERCHANTS:
    Good so far.

OVERALL IMPRESSION:
    Once the systems are refined I believe SotA will be a very powerful, deep game.
    7/10. Going well so far.

FINAL SUGGESTION:
    The overland map needs roaming monsters you can encounter, that you either attack or pull you into scenarios if you touch them. The size of the hex that opens could depend on the size, difficulty, amount of monsters etc, with terrain for strategic purposes. Perhaps this way, it wont be necessary to make every single hex on the overland map interactive.

I'll try to write more later...

2. Caerunnos

Caerunnos Avatar

Interesting thought about healing the injured wildlife, ( and I'm sure very immersive for the Druids and other nature-benevolent players ) however this opens a can of worms for griefery towards harvesters.

Someone could follow a skinner and persistently heal the mobs that were their resource targets, probably slowing them down significantly.

It may sound far-fetched, yet I'll put donuts to dollars that if it's possible... somebody will try to be a pest with it, heh.

Khloec, Lyran, Margard and 2 others like this.
  3. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

You raise a very good point there Caerunnos. Not sure if there is a solution to it all.

4. Fredrick FlameGrinder

Fredrick FlameGrinder Avatar

Caves are way too narrow I cant see correctly.

5. Borg

Borg Avatar

They removed autorun???? I want it back.
    And yes dungeons are toooo narrow, sewers scene is a good example they should rise ceelings so we can have better perspective.

6. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

Let's see...

I actually like the current movement system... maybe because I'm now used to it.

The containers DO need a "storage zone", agreed, and smaller/thinner items do need a bit more of a "grabbable" area... other than that, so long as they can keep the items relative to each other sizewise, things are looking good here.

Yes, a day/night cycle on the map would be handy if possible. Really just need a tinting of the map from light during the day through the color palette we see at dusk to the cool white/blueish nighttime look.

Heal works for me (heals about 20HP)... Light does nothing.

I think the ocean in the distance look fine because even IRL, once you look so far out, you will no longer see the waves as they will simply blend into each other and the horizon out in the ocean DOES look like a line (although a very slightly curved one).

I'm unsure about being able to heal creatures while other people are fighting them. While some people may see it as a cool roleplay opportunity, others would use it solely to grief.

7. Margard

Margard Avatar

The activation button is '"numlock" i think - no longer double tap "w"

SmokerKGB likes this.
  8. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Here's a comment/question: how do you turn on the fireplaces in the rustic homes? Do you have to find wood and then light them..? Or have they just not programmed that part in yet?

9. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Ho no god no! :)

I really dislike that kind of movement, guess it's depends on what you are use to.
    Only thing I actually agree with are the look around. I like the idea of mouse look when no buttons are pressed down. Then you can interact with the world with left mouse or keyboard button of your choice.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Margard

Margard Avatar

I think they have not programed it in yet - but I do think that is the plan

11. Borg

Borg Avatar

Right its numlock now, but it doesn't appear in control list, thx.

12. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

With the control system, I meant that we should have the ability to assign those particular controls. We should be able to assign any control schematic to our preference. This is a critical aspect to me, gameplay-wise.

[JUMPING]
    The character seems to jump pretty randomly once jump is pressed. The action should occur the instant I press the jump button, and a bit higher or use targeted jumping. Seems jumping is charged. Works ok now.

[CLIMBING]
    I think the ability to climb out of pits/water should be included to scale a ledge that is too high to jump free from.

I agree with the point about the ocean, it is flat toward the horizon.

Saosis likes this.
  13. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

I tried to heal during combat again, absolutely nothing happened. No idea why it isn't working for me. Ah well.

14. abovenyquist

abovenyquist Avatar

I think it depends on the depth of the conversation system.

When Richard originally described it as typing in complete sentences, I thought they'd be going for something deeper than raw keyword matching, i.e. I thought they'd do something to at least link two of them together, i.e. you could ask a specific thing about a specific character, like "Is Lord Darkstarr bald?" and they could link "Darkstarr" and "bald" and say yes.

But, in one of the deep dives, it sounded like they're shying away from that because of localization concerns. Natural text parsing, and doing something useful with it even if you can reasonably parse it, is incredibly hard, and doing it in different languages would leave to an explosion of developer pain.

If they *were* able to pull off contextual text analysis, I'd vote to keep keyword highlighting (clickable or not) off. But if it really is just single-matching, clickable keywords helps reduce the tedious "guess the keyword" and "this NPC is an idiot because they can't respond to 'obvious' keywords" effect.

Hmmmm... this would need to be handled very carefully. I'm playing through Final Fantasy VI right now, and the random monster encounters are really jarring. (For that matter, I thought they were tedious and grindy in the early Ultimas too -- but 80s RPGs were often tedious and grindy in general.)

Time Lord likes this.
  15. abovenyquist

abovenyquist Avatar

The world map is presented with a 3-D renderer; they could use a directional light for the sun that changes with time without having to do too much code. It might take just a bit of balancing to get it to look good.

Time Lord, Margard and Sir_Hemlock like this.
  16. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

The character jumps when the spacebar (or whatever key you've chosen) is released, not when it's first pressed, and the longer you hold it down the higher you jump when you do release it. It's kind of odd and I'm finding it difficult to jump to where I want to, but I guess it'll get easier with practice!

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  17. MadViking

MadViking Avatar

Turn-based combat never has been and never will be a great idea.

18. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Speak for yourself, there are merits to both turn based and real time.

Doppelganger and SmokerKGB like this.
  19. Numa

Numa Avatar

I think the way combat shifted from real time to turn based was very well done in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Not sure how this would translate to party play though.

Oh yes, while we"re at it - for the love of god, please include an overhead dungeon map. I"m currently lost in a valley with many twisty passages that look all alike. Went in looking for bandits and now wading through spiders & bears trying to get out :(

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Then you haven't played the early access versions of Divinity Original Sin or Wasteland 2 which offer great, strategic turn based combat. Or take The Banner Saga or Blackguards for example - games with great combat!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.