Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Numerous dead npc's in Owl's head gives a very poor impression

Discussion in 'Release 5 Feedback' started by Sirius Sternwarte, Apr 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sirius Sternwarte

Sirius Sternwarte Avatar

For the last few test releases I've noticed as it gets later in the weekend the more tired Owl's head starts to look. Every other npc is lying dead or missing completely, every single crate or barrel is smashed and everything that's not bolted down is taken. It seems like the late stragglers would get quite a different impression of the owl's head town to those early on with the activity around the pavilion and the tavern.

Margard, Bimmer, tradyblix and 5 others like this.
  2. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

They should just make NPC's in towns unkillable...they don't need to be killable. This will always be a problem if you expect people to act without rules.

Time Lord, Bimmer, Asclepius and 5 others like this.
  3. Sirius Sternwarte

Sirius Sternwarte Avatar

Having said what I did, I don't entirely agree with npc's being unkillable altogether. During the pre-alpha testing absolutely they should remain accessible for all testers, but once the real game starts people should realise there are consequences for your actions. If you kill a vital npc it should be lost to you alone. The city guards should exact punishment. And who's to say the town mage / healer cannot resurrect an npc just like a player could.

Back on the topic of first impressions, I expect the streets might fill with junk once dropping items is allowed. It could be an eyesore if poorly implemented, but I will have to defend the right for anyone to place an item where they choose in an interactive world. This has been previously discussed here

Tarsin, Time Lord, Asclepius and 2 others like this.
  4. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

If you want to buy something from a dead Merchant:
    Single Player Online
    A friend tested it a few minutes ago.
    All dead merchants are alive in Single Player Online Mode.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

You have seen the carnage inflicted in the cities...make the guards like the old ultima where you got your ass handed to you when you did somethng like that then fine.

NRaas, Time Lord, Bimmer and 8 others like this.
  6. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

Yea, seeing streets riddled with dead sheep gets old too....

8. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

killing NPCs should flag you as a criminal or something... then the guards will chase after you... when caught you get jailed for 30 days for every NPC killed... you also get stripped of all your properties and these are auctioned or sold to the public... upon release, you own nothing... just your underwear... hehehehe....

Time Lord, Bimmer, Asclepius and 6 others like this.
  9. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

And now we know why everyone in New Britannia hates outlanders. :D

10. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Make the NPC's and livestock invincible. In addition, if you attack one, the guards-- also invincible-- attack you, in addition to the livestock. Your options are to run out of town, or die repeatedly. It would be funny to see a PC killed or chased out of town by angry chickens. The PC in question would be permanently flagged as such for that particular town. That should stop the stupidity.

Until that happens, your only option seems to be to interact with the NPC's in single player mode. It's sad and pathetic, but it's the only sure way to make sure they're available.

11. Kaynith Stormcaster

Kaynith Stormcaster Avatar

The further into the test we go, the more bored and juvenile people become. I'd been fully Multiplayer Online, but I finally went Single Player Online late last night. Honestly, I was tired of dealing with all the idiots.

I've found that when people get excessively bored, the stupid behavior surfaces. They don't just log off and do something else... no... they go around looking for things to grief. Odd quirk of human nature I suppose. :p

And some of the names!

I'm all for freedom of speech, but that doesn't include being able to name your character something disgusting in a public play space. Private single player, should have no naming restrictions. However there must be some line in the sand for a public play space. I shouldn't have to worry that if my kid looks at my screen when I'm in game, that they'll find something they really shouldn't be repeating at school. But again, it's always present. The juvenile sophomoric humor that seems to be ever-present in online games, perpetuated by 40 year old men who still think fart jokes are funny. I mean if you create a toon named "Derpington Derpwad", then ye should be treated as such by everyone you meet in game. There's an idea... in game shunning. :D

12. Numa

Numa Avatar

This is probably why multiplayer mode is a ghost town right now. Two thumbs up for the Invincible Chicken Patrol.

Time Lord and tradyblix like this.
  13. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

See, this is one of those areas that make me not believe in letting players "police" themselves since there are those that don't do that and it ruins a game for everyone else.

14. smack

smack Avatar

Or they could implement the phasing tech that ESO has. All NPCs would be instanced to you, even with the town instance. So do whatever you want but face the consequences. Won't affect any other player in that town instance as they'll still see the NPC.

Time Lord, Asclepius and Siriustar like this.
  15. redfish

redfish Avatar

@smack,

Regardless, the guards should jump on attacking players.

Time Lord and Sir Stile Teckel like this.
  16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well it seems we have HOA (home owners association in our group) lol I was sometimes needing NPCs that weren't there, but people can decorate their houses to their hearts desire as far as I'm concerned. People killing NPC's are still a part of testing the systems, not my particular fun tho, and also decorating their house with a zillion Thrones of bones means they test the systems capabilities. It could mean that they probably did tons of tons of fighting which also tests the systems.. In other words we are testing the systems (everything tests the systems), this is not the actual game, but still why should what someone else is doing effect you your game enjoyment? I can see dead stuff isn't necessarily pretty or endearing and sometimes 'hey I need that NPC, but still it isn't real.:)

Time Lord and Daevin Aruth like this.
  17. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

The guards are on the way. Soon

Time Lord likes this.
  18. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Lorimus, they're stopping to get donuts.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

Using the resurrect spell I raised the horse but could not raise the sheep or chickens.

Time Lord, foobard and docdoom77 like this.
  20. smack

smack Avatar

Agreed. I don't think there's any doubt that will be implemented at some point. At least for the towns where there are guards or guards that care, anyways.

Time Lord and Asclepius like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.