Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

R5 Comments & Suggestions

Discussion in 'Release 5 Feedback' started by Sir_Hemlock, Apr 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I wouldn't give up on combat in this game so far...geez guys they haven't even finished its implementation(or even started that much) of combat....

Kaisa, Doppelganger and Margard like this.
  2. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

Oh yes... pleasepleaseplease add this at some point! I'm fine with not knowing anything going into an area, but I can get lost in a square room so please let me have a map that fills in as I explore. :) Or give me chalk and the ability to mark walls as I go!

I spent ages wandering in circles (I think!) in a cavern because half of it looked the same to me and I couldn't figure out where I was going - eventually I gave up and used /stuck to get back to the entrance and escape...

3. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

I love being lost.. if an overhead dungeon map is added I hope I can toggle it off.. :)

NRaas, Time Lord and Margard like this.
  4. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

That works too! Just so long as, if I get completely lost and frustrated, I have an option to turn on a map and get some clue where to go. I like exploring, but I hated the feeling of being trapped in a never-ending maze of tunnels and not being able to find the way out. Maybe it's a touch of claustrophobia - it doesn't feel so bad in outdoor areas where you can just keep going towards a horizon until you find an escape.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  5. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

As others in this thread have pointed out, we need a mini-map! Something in the top right corner that we could toggle with the "M" key perhaps. I could have used one in the prisons last night as I was just running around in circles...

YES! I found the linear lighting to look better but to be far darker. Even with a torch, it was tough to navigate in caves and dimly lit areas. I would say either allow us to use a brightness slider, or give the torches (including braziers and the ones on walls) to provide better illumination.

Time Lord and Jivalax Azon like this.
  6. Crikey

Crikey Avatar

I had the same problem, much of the time, then occasionally 'heal' worked. Sometimes the hotkey failed but the on-screen icon in the task-bar worked.

Similarly, most of the time when I tried to attack either Lich, with Lightning or my mace, nothing happened. My toon just stood there taking damage. Eventually I'd run away or get killed. Same prob in Multi and Single.

7. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I agree and this needs some work. I feel that there should be varying degrees of illumination. Torches would give minimal illumination and
    you should be able to see just a little bit in front of you. Lanterns should be able to give even more illumination and allow you to see even farther.
    The use of a 'Light' spell or 'Greater Light' spell would also give you varying degrees of illumination. No light source at all should leave you with a
    very dark scene, unless it is illuminated a bit by the moon (if outdoors), or street lights if in a city/town, or a hole in the ceiling/lit torches on the wall
    if in a dungeon.

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  8. Floors

Floors Avatar

Richard has said he doesn't want auto mapping, quest markers and other features people take for granted in modern games, and I tend to agree with him.

We used to do it on paper in the old days and It did add a lot to the difficulty and fun, and the exploration aspect of the game.

In this day and age, what will happen is those people who have time and skills and the will to do it will make player maps and distribute them.

would be cool if you could import them into the game and, maybe even sell them for in game currency.

I think having maps works against the exploration aspect which is already limited due to the instance model.

So, I think maybe not having maps might make the game more interesting in the long run.

9. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

I'm going to spend a lot of time in this game being lost, then! ;)

I thought about trying to draw a map of the cavern system, but it was so twisty that I don't think I would have got very far with it.

What about chalk then, like I mentioned earlier, and the ability to make marks on the walls so you at least know where you've already been? Or a 'mapping' skill that you could choose to put points into, to unlock a basic auto-map-as-you-go feature? Might either of those be acceptable?

I wouldn't mind that. After all, in the real world, if someone has already explored an area then a lot of the time there'll be some sort of map available for that place. Even if it does say 'here be dragons'... :)

Annavas Azon and Jivalax Azon like this.
  10. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

You know I have said before that I want some sort of map while we are in the hexes and dungeons but you have a good point here. I would love to see a cartography skill in game where people could make maps and sell them. I know I would be buying some maps because I have no talent for that sort of thing!

11. Luitpold

Luitpold Avatar

Compass
    I don't like it on the UI itself, something similar to the compass in Arma might be more appropriate.

Overland Map Polish
    I would prefer a 3D one, but honestly this map has promise. I think the hex thing needs to be removed and made into a design layer, then hand draw what he player sees, and let them wander point to point within the environment, rather than hex to hex, but define whatever needs to be defined by the hex they are in at that moment. It might be more fitting that way. Also rather than the cave man art, go for something more ornate and interesting to look at. Draw the landscape and really make the natural and human geography give areas some culture.

Health Bars, Traditional Combat Shortcut Bar & Combat Floaties
    I hate this stuff, and I wish it would vanish in favor of alternative visual queues

Player Housing
    I like the building designs, but it kind of looks strange to have so much space between buildings in cities. Personally, I would like to see properties that have small individual spaces that could be rented out to other players, so you get apartments and maybe even encouragement of dense urban looking player cities. I don't really want to own any big properties, but I would like to at least have a room to dink around with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.