Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[POLL] R5 Updated Overland Map

Discussion in 'Release 5 Feedback' started by High Baron O`Sullivan, Apr 25, 2014.

?

What is your opinion on the updated R5 dual-scale overland map?

1. I like it.

50 vote(s)
    28.1%
  2. I do not like it.

11 vote(s)
    6.2%
  3. Would like if improvements were made (read my post below)

31 vote(s)
    17.4%
  4. Do not like - and do not think I would ever like - even with improvements

23 vote(s)
    12.9%
  5. Revert back to the 3D map

63 vote(s)
    35.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaynith Stormcaster

Kaynith Stormcaster Avatar

I was thinking along the lines of more 'preferred' method of travel.

If people wanted to move around on the cloth map, they could, to more or less 'fast travel' from point A to point B. Say, Owl's Head to Kingsport.

Optionally, you could zoom IN a bit, and have the nifty 3D map that we all saw in the demos. This would be more involved traveling, including random encounters, gypsies, dragons, the whole kit and kaboodle that we saw in the demos.

That's what I'd prefer to see. But they've already stated that they couldn't get the 3D to work right for some reason, so the R5 iteration of the map is likely the direction it's going to go for the immediate future.

'Tis sad though. They could combine the two map versions and really make it kick-butt, and satisfy most people all in one fell swoop.

You'll hear me repeat this often. More options are not a bad thing. Options, options, options. More, not less. People like choices.

This way no one is pigeonholed into having to play a certain way. They can play how they like, and someone else can play how they like, and everyone is happy.

Those who like the cloth map style, can play in that mode, with no penalties. They get from point A to B as quick as they'd like. Maybe even add random encounters to the map, going forward. But make such encounters surprise and truly random. They have their face buried in a map, after all, and aren't paying much attention to their surroundings! ;) (Or there could be a toggle to 'disable random encounters on cloth map' so as to be truly 'no-penalty'.)

Those who like the 3D map style, can play in that mode, with no penalties. They also get random encounters, but can see them in 'real time'. Wolves, gypsies, dragons. They can see them quite a ways off and can elect to encounter them or not.

See? Options = Good. :D

But will it happen? Not betting my last penny on it.

Mishri, majoria70 and Kaisa like this.
  2. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Options are great but the team probably isn't big enough to do both. Which is unfortunate.

I really wish they would comment.

Time Lord and Kaisa like this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Kaynith,

Yea, and I agree and disagree. Sometimes options make sense and are a good thing. Sometimes options are a bad thing, because they reduce the challenge of the game. Sometimes that affects other players, sometimes it doesn't. In general, though, the devs should be thinking "what makes a good game?" and "do more options make this a better game?" And shouldn't always assume one way or another.

My playstyle is "fun." :)

I have nothing against the style of the cloth map, though.. it can be improved a bit, but... the main issue to me is what type of functionality its able to support.

Mishri, Time Lord, Aldo and 1 other person like this.
  4. Elric Zand

Elric Zand Avatar

wow I had not played before R5 but that 3D map looked amazing :(

5. Floors

Floors Avatar

Except that ... it didn't.

It looked 3D. I'll give you that.

Hazard likes this.
  6. Elric Zand

Elric Zand Avatar

well that is my opinion ;)

7. Floors

Floors Avatar

Yes, you don't need to state that Bellbane.

We know that is your opinion. And that is my opinion ;):(

Where's Lord Darkmoon when you need him to stoke yet another debate about this up lol ???

I hope the devs address the map controversy in the next update.

I for one like the new map direction

jiirc likes this.
  8. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Not universal, but they are the majority :p :)
    The world map is the key travel tool in the game. You'll be spending a decent amount of time looking at it (travel IS NOT instant, and the world map is BIG) and it represents YOUR view of the game world as a whole. Making a dual-scale map wasn't a light decision, so the devs should NOT take this feedback lightly. Saying "minority" this "majority" that is unhelpful and honestly destructive.
    It was stated earlier that if the world map (again, note it is THE travel tool in the game and it IS gameplay, not an insignificant portion of it) is not in a much prettier, feature-complete state by launch of Episode 1 then it is very unlikely that those that this design has turned off will revisit the game, regardless of what improvements are made. Seriously, this is a multiplayer online game with the potential for hundreds of hours of gameplay. Look at the poll results again and note that only about a third of the voter population, after only what was likely A FEW MINUTES TOTAL ON THE WORLD MAP during R5, are vehemently arguing against this particular design decision.

Also, who said they "couldn't get 3d to work correctly"? I've never heard that, and it sounds like bull. A crack team of industry vets should be able to make a world map that isn't a point-and-click 2d texture.

9. Floors

Floors Avatar

Whoa whoa whoa ! - The poll is not scientific. It doesn't represent the 90,000 people who signed up on the forums, just who voted in it.

5 months ago we were at R1. there's 6 months to go before "release", the original release date.

I'm pretty sure the map thing will be sorted out, no need to keep threatening that everyone is gonna quit.

Margard likes this.
  10. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

No one's threatening, calm yoself son :)
    I specifically stated "voter population".
    As in, active members of this community that care about the game's development.
    Unless you think 2/3 of the voters on this poll (myself included) are trolling for no reason :)

Lord Baldrith and Joviex like this.
  11. Floors

Floors Avatar

I know who the vocal minority of the majority is that is for sure :)

I love how this whole controversy has sprung up around a feature that was that was never seen outside of demos, never used in a player release, and was one of the least appealing features about the kickstarter in the first place !

I remember thinking, gosh I hope that overland map thing looks better and now people have pitchforks if it's not put back in !

12. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

So you're of the vocal minority of the majority that like the new world map and are totally fine with it's present trajectory? :)
    Sounds a bit unscientific, if you ask me.
    The issue is not that the current map is stylized or 2D vs 3D or even dual scale vs monoscale. The issue is that it's shoddy and nonfunctional and we were advertised something completely different.

Mishri, Lord Baldrith and Joviex like this.
  13. redfish

redfish Avatar

I wouldn't like the 3D map better unless there were serious improvements to it, both in function and style. Whats the poll option for that.

Mishri, Hazard and rune_74 like this.
  14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

The most vocal, certainly. This is the normal course of things. People will always voice displeasure first.
    If you're claiming a majority of the backers think this is a major issue, I would like to see your polling methodology and results, please. How big was your sample, and what techniques were employed to insure a representative sample?

tradyblix likes this.
  15. Floors

Floors Avatar

This isn't a scientific poll.

Number of registered forum users : 90,000 +
    Number of forum poll respondents : 153 (as of April 28th, 2014)

That's not even close to a representative fraction.

Even if you only count pledges at 30,000+, still way off.

Btw, if we split this poll into negative vs positive responses we get :

For : 45.8 percent
    Against: 54.2 percent

So it's hardly a landslide !

We didn't buy anything. We supported a game by making a pledge...

like any investment there is an inherent risk...

they can change their minds (and have btw, not just on this)

16. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

[my read below]

I would enjoy the 3D map or current map if major improvements were made to either. The caveat is that changes have to be to MY liking. Yeah, I know hard to please... ;)

Alternatively, if poll results are lopsided above a DND1 map may be best default. '6'

tradyblix likes this.
  17. Floors

Floors Avatar

Yes. I think this could bring the 2 factions together lol :)

Hazard likes this.
  18. redfish

redfish Avatar

Take a trip to Austin :)

Hazard likes this.
  19. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

It has been shown, and agreed by devs, it is not 90k backers and a fair amount (15%+) are spam accounts; to the tune of 4+ new spam accounts every 30 minutes.

Check the stats in my link, or just do a search, though I find it hard to believe the more frequent supporters have missed any of those posts in the five months since discovery.

It is an underlying reason they took the membership list away, because I was mining data from it to show bot accounts.

1% is all that is needed for a "majority". But I dont see this poll as a "majority" or vocal minority problem.

It is a communication problem.

Just like the PVP problem. This is not a landslide in favor of the new map. If it was 80% great, 20% meh, no sweat.

This IS a representation of the population to a degree, if you like it or not.

Since it is so damn polarized, THAT is a problem.

This tells me there is something wrong with the current map's incarnation, even if the other 45% think it is fine.

And if you want to be pedantic and extend it to an actual launch day event, even if 25% dont like the map, with 35k legit backers, do you think telling 8,500 (25%) suck it up, that is the map, is a good idea for this already minimized, niche game?

Cheers.

20. DNA Cowboy

DNA Cowboy Avatar

It.s so true, I don't know how the dev team's conscience could put up with all those millions of dead kitty's :-(
    I know I couldn't :-/

Also, I just don't get the developers, how could they against such hostility continue with this child's idea of map when we should be witnessing the latest and greatest 21st century rpg map from the legend that is (was?) Richard Garriot?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.