To Be Or Not To Be: The Map

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Apr 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I'm firmly in the "more maps the better" camp. I'm fine with things being explored first, if that's part of the design. I'm fine with letting mobs (or PCs) sneak up behind people. But needing to draw my own map or alt tabbing to some wiki adds no real value to the game. And is vastly less immersive.

2. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

I would be fine with a mini map similar to what the OP suggested. What would be cool too is having a map kinda like what we had in Ultima Underworld 1 where we can add our own notes to it.

Sunsanvil likes this.
  3. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Definately would like a minimap. Persistant toggleable minimap in the corner of a screen or a cloth style map that you can pull up that shows your location and is perhaps alterable. Or both. The second is more immersive perhaps but vastly useful for each area. Even better if it's foggy until explored.

ie. For me I would be writing -> HERE IS THE FREAKING TOWN HALL. Maybe adding a big red arrow. It feels like locations (in the vale) have 1-6 buildings of interest and then 50-100 houses.

Mercyful Fate likes this.
  4. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

"Optional minimap system for the directionally impaired" ---> That was a SG.

5. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

I like the idea of a cloth map that you pull up that you can add notes and arrows and stuff to. I think it would be more immersive and fun versus just having a little minimap circle in some corner somewhere. I agree as well that it would be more useful because you could add specific notes like a where a particular building or npc is.

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

I think its kind of a bad poll. I think a cartography skill would be nice, and so I support the possibility of on screen maps, but everyone having a map makes the skill worth less. And I like the idea of (P)eering into a gem like in earlier Ultimas, also.

The question is not really if maps should be in game, but how they would work.

7. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

World map is enough for me, I'll probably turn off any kind of minimap. Compass is perfect, I love learning layouts of dungeons and maps intuitively (though this is admittedly impossible without a compass at least).
    I'd also like to be able to disable journal notifications, but that's just me being awesome and amazing.
    I would PREFER a spell or maybe a "gem" item that'll get you an overhead view, even of unexplored terrain, but anything more than that is...

DUN DUN DUN

IMMERSION BREAKING

(ha)

8. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

A lot of people have cited that it is really difficult to navigate in the game. It would make the game much easier to play.

If you can turn it off, then people who want immersion can turn it off.

Lord Andernut likes this.
  9. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Sarcasm on the internet etc.

I don't care if one is in or not but I DO want the option to turn it off, and I will.

10. redfish

redfish Avatar

The issue might be, instead, it might something you want turned on, through some game mechanic, rather than turned off, through a checkbox in settings.

Margard likes this.
  11. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

I voted absolutely. Just a quick toggle to see the map and get my bearing quickly and then toggle it off again. However, I don't think of it as a "mini-map" but rather like the overhead map of just the specific area I'm currently in but not providing any form of travel.

Time Lord, Doppelganger and Eriador like this.
  12. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Mercyful Fate,

So basically you would also be happy with something like peering in gems in the earlier Ultima games?

13. Margard

Margard Avatar

No minimap

Tizon likes this.
  14. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I don't mind what the default is so long as there is a setting to make everyone happy.

15. Margard

Margard Avatar

I want everyone to be equally lost :)

Tizon likes this.
  16. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

Peering into a gem is not my ideal for obtaining bearings and locations. I just want my character to pull out his trusty cloth map for a brief moment in time and then put it away. Throw in a sextant, a compass, and some cartography skill and I'm golden.

Time Lord and Tizon like this.
  17. Tizon

Tizon Avatar

You have to explore the area first to reveal map...

Mercyful Fate likes this.
  18. Margard

Margard Avatar

The mini map for me really comes into play in an underground dungeons - having "guides" is fantastic for player interactivity

Having to pay closer attention to your environment is good for gaming

Having a mini map - to me is just about rushing through content - more than "exploring" and "discovery" ... it does take something away from the experience

but to each their own

tekkamansoul likes this.
  19. redfish

redfish Avatar

Margard, you and I seem to agree on this. And personally I don't even mind ways to map, or ways to see your surroundings. I just don't think they should be freebies. I'm used to the Ultima games I was brought up on as a kid, and I think they worked well :) UU was the exception, of course. Sometimes I did get lost in dungeons, but it became fun figuring out how not to get lost.

20. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

I am solidly in the pro-minimap camp. I'm basically used to having one now in any type of RPG, and in a 3d setting, especially if I'm done "adventuring and just want to get back, it's nice to have a better way to navigate than "run in a direction and hope it's the right way".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.