Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[POLL] R5 Updated Overland Map

Discussion in 'Release 5 Feedback' started by High Baron O`Sullivan, Apr 25, 2014.

?

What is your opinion on the updated R5 dual-scale overland map?

1. I like it.

50 vote(s)
    28.1%
  2. I do not like it.

11 vote(s)
    6.2%
  3. Would like if improvements were made (read my post below)

31 vote(s)
    17.4%
  4. Do not like - and do not think I would ever like - even with improvements

23 vote(s)
    12.9%
  5. Revert back to the 3D map

63 vote(s)
    35.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I hope the devs see now that with this cloth map they divide the community. I hope that they come up with a good solution to this problem.
    I don't think it is in the interest of Portalarium to create something which so many people don't like. They wanted to create something cool, I am sure of that but obviously it didn't work. Otherwise there wouldn't be so much trouble about it.
    I am very excited about what they have to say on this matter and what their solution will be.

tekkamansoul, Kaisa and Lord Baldrith like this.
  2. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

The more I see it the more I wish I had selected revert back to old map :p

3. Numa

Numa Avatar

53% No vs 47% Yes (to the cloth map). I wouldn't be surprised if the ratios hold true even if everyone voted.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Even with a proper, scientific poll, +-3% is a good margin of error.
    Based on that measure, it's a statistical dead heat.

5. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

What's going on in the Dev+ forum regarding the map?

6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Nothing.

Margard and tekkamansoul like this.
  7. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Wow, I didn't realize so many other people do not like the map either.

8. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Or the flipside, there are a lot of people in favor of the current map.

9. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

So whatever they do, they will anger a large group of the community... Not very good prospects for the devs... I think this would not have happened if they would not have changed the map. No one would have thought about a different style, we would have accepted what was shown in the first place, we would all be friends and the devs could have concentrated on other things... What we have now is a real mess.

Joviex, tekkamansoul, Kaisa and 3 others like this.
  10. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Well it's unknown how the community would react. If they had the 6 month demo map in, with wasd movement, which is what it looked like it had. and the options were, continue to use this map or revert to cloth map? Would the poll be skewed so it's more like 75% vs 25%? How many people love and prefer this style over having the other style.

The poll is, what do you think of the updated R5 map? I like it better than anything I'd played before. If you hadn't seen the demos you wouldn't know any better ;)

Best we can do is guess though.

For those of you saying this isn't representative of the player population, keep in mind many polls only poll 1,000-10,000 people in the US, with 350 million living there.

At our current total backer population of 33,000 and 163 responders we have about a 7.6% margin of error. 39%-54.2% find the cloth map acceptable, 45.8%-61% not acceptable.

Joviex, Numa and tekkamansoul like this.
  11. Margard

Margard Avatar

To muck up the argument a little - we don't know how many would be "won" over if "functionality" were added

- in the absence of functionality all we are fussing over is "aesthetic preference" ... and in terms of "looks" I rather go with the "pop-up" map ... what we are calling the "3d" map is average at best as it stood in the demo

next time we make a poll lets see who voted for what :)

12. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

This forum has around 91.000 members. It seems most of them are uninterested in this overland map war. Therefore I believe the decision for one of the maps will not anger a large group of the community.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

It seems most of them are uninterested in the forums period.

Time Lord, Mishri and Lord Baldrith like this.
  14. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

If our opinions don't matter then why have a forum in the first place and why do a Kickstarter which Starr Long describes as "Make what they want"?

So if we here are not at least a bit representative of the community/customers, then discussions about features of the game are pointless, imo.

Time Lord, Joviex, Mishri and 2 others like this.
  15. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

I'm willing to bet our opinions do matter, just not to the extent you want it to. I think everything said on the forums is taken with a grain of salt. It seems most backers now represent a small fraction of the potential users. Further, the active members on the forums are even a much smaller subset. I'm not sure I would put a lot of stake into the result of these polls -- they're biased towards the very energetic early supporters, the poll questions are bias towards a negative view, and on top of it all the results more or less show a split in opinion with a slight preference towards not using the current map. I think to get the most representative sample you'd have to seek out a more diverse population; one that includes us, the early energetic forum-trotting users, the backers that aren't on the forums, and the future users that find the game at launch. I don't think catering to those few that complain the loudest is necessarily in the best interest of the game. I think letting the dust settle for awhile will do everyone well.

16. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

It may not be very representative but as you say those who post on this forum and those who vote on the polls are those who are emotionally invested the most into this game. And if you consider this, the cloth map splits those emotionally invested people into two groups. You could say that the cloth map is angering some of the core fans which is a bad sign for a game.

Also letting the dust settle would mean that the devs put more time into the cloth map and then there is no time left to change direction and we are stuck with something many people outright hate.

Joviex and Lord Baldrith like this.
  17. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Lord Darkmoon,

There also may be people emotionally invested in the game, but don't care about the map issue that much.

All of this is besides the point, though. We shouldn't be arguing about numbers, its dumb. The devs certainly should be listening to backers and learning from them, but if the issue becomes making one group of backers angry, while they make another group happy, and managing the politics of it all, the whole development process has gone off track. Because in the end its about politics, and not a good game. In the end they have to make decisions on what they think will make a good game.

People on the forums talk about numbers too much. The devs want constructive feedback and thoughtful criticism.

And if in the end, people don't play the release game and ask for pledge refunds and so on just because of the map style, I'll be very surprised, and very disappointed. I expect there to be so much more to the game than the map style.

Kaisa, Ravenclaw and Tarsin like this.
  18. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

It was all a communication problem from the get go and it still is.
    We were shown a 3D map that looked like a zoomed out version of the world and felt alive. Suddenly the game sports a paper map without the devs even telling that they wanted to change direction. Now they do not react to all the criticism and we don't know what is going an. Will this be the map, will there be more to it, more functionality? Will they consider going back to the 3D view? We know nothing. And this is also very irritating and disappointing.

Joviex and Lord Baldrith like this.
  19. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

If they haven't heard you by now about the 'map' issue then they're not going to. No need to beat a dead horse.

I'm sure they are well aware of our opinions and will likely put an effort before R6 to enhance the current map and bring it closer to what they envision so that we might better judge it's true merit. Until then let's wait and see what they come up with.

It's hard to compare the portion of overland view you saw before with a map that had not even been fully created yet. Be patient and let them show you their vision. Then argue yay or nay.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Tarsin likes this.
  20. selbie

selbie Avatar

But, but we need answers NOW before another week goes by and before they get a chance to talk! It has been demanded!....officially :O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.