Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[POLL] R5 Updated Overland Map

Discussion in 'Release 5 Feedback' started by High Baron O`Sullivan, Apr 25, 2014.

?

What is your opinion on the updated R5 dual-scale overland map?

1. I like it.

50 vote(s)
    28.1%
  2. I do not like it.

11 vote(s)
    6.2%
  3. Would like if improvements were made (read my post below)

31 vote(s)
    17.4%
  4. Do not like - and do not think I would ever like - even with improvements

23 vote(s)
    12.9%
  5. Revert back to the 3D map

63 vote(s)
    35.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

no it doesnt. please see one of the three posts I have made regarding the spam accounts, most recently post 119 in this very thread.

cheers.

2. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Here is something I was thinking of. Final Fantasy 10 got rid of the dualscale map system that FF used for the previous 9 games, sort of. In order to maintain easy travel they had the air ship that gave you a menu like this:

[​IMG]

I tried scouring the internet for the travel montage it did between areas for the story, it came up with a stylized map and little dots showing where you were going. Can't seem to find it. I thought that was okay because it was just showing you where the game was taking you and it wasn't really any game play, just a quick 3 second clip to show you are traveling like indiana jones.

High Baron O`Sullivan likes this.
  3. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I think the Final Fantasy travel maps are some of the best.

Time Lord and Mishri like this.
  4. PeteWi The Disoriented

PeteWi The Disoriented Avatar

I've been reading the Forum posts and the "new" overland map seems to be causing some confusions because it doesn't feel like we have a clear picture of how it's supposed to work and what it's supposed to do.

I think it's an interesting "gimmick" and harkens back to the days of the Cloth Map, but I don't feel I understand how it works. As it stand, if it's just a map to get to certain "waypoints" then it doesn't do much for me. There are easier ways to navigate towns than clicking different points on the road and watching the banner move. It's sort of like we jump from a 3D world to a boardgame.

If there is another point to the map, such as the chance encounters with animals, monsters, merchants or the ability to follow caravans or other players then it might be kind of neat. Since I have no idea how it works, I don't know if I like it or not. There are easier ways to pick your next location, but if leaving town at night and traveling the map under cover of darkness hints at unknown danger. With the further you go increasing that chance, then it could be kind of neat.

I'm more confused by it than anything.

Lord_Darkmoon and docdoom77 like this.
  5. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

Nobody has said that our opinions don't matter. We have just different opinions and the devs can't fulfill contary points of view. It might be that technical reasons tip the scales. But the point is how people will react then. I can only speak for myself. As you surely know I prefer the new cloth map style. If LB change his mind and the KS 'map' settle the race - so what? No reason to change my signature or to declare (or join) a holy war. I will still love SoTA, the map isn't my fetish. My focus lies on the storyline (like U5, 6, 7 and the Underworlds) and the single player ability - these are my points of interest. Maybe I'm not alone.

6. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Of course the single player elements and the story are very important for me, too. But having the illusion of being able to explore and roam around in a realistic looking world is a big part of the single player experience for me.

Joviex likes this.
  7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I don't think the map is a total game breaker, but it could stand to look more cloth like if they want to make it a true map, or open up like a scroll so you know that it is a map you're looking at.

A person who sees the game for the first time and doesn't know about the dual scale map might be confused, and I can see how it would be a little weird or even look like you're playing a facebook game.

One thing's for sure I don't like the idea of reverting back to the 3D map. Then it is hokey and facebook-like. It definitely needs the map to look like a map otherwise I think a 3D map would be even more immersion breaking because a new player would then for sure not understand why the map is this way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.