Not a big fan of the HEX system overhead map

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brink1123, May 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

Exactly perhaps it is the "easy way" but I think in the long run if done right it could make the game much more interesting. Being able to change things up quickly keeps things more interesting, gives you something interesting/fun to do on a pretty regular basis. Especially if they are sure to keep events pretty random so you never really know whats going to happen!

2. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

LOL... yeah... that's why I have this at the end -> >_<

NRaas and Tarsin like this.
  3. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

Ah, OK. I guess I'm behind the curve on recognizing all of the emoticons. :)

kabalyero likes this.
  4. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

for those who are itching for an open world... give Entropia Universe a try... now that's a lot of space for you guys to run around... oh, it's free...

5. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Brink,

I'm not sure whether you think the way housing was done in UO was a problem. I do.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. tamino

tamino Avatar

I've heard this so many times and the originator of this line of thought is Chris Spears but there seems to be a lot of people parroting it about.

It's simply incorrect that you have to have a dual-scale map to expand your world easily and cheaply. EverQuest expanded for years and years without a dual-scale map by adding zones and they could do so with nothing more than a patch. In fact, SotA is currently pretty much an imitation of EverQuest minus a dual-scale map. The reason? Chris Spears' influence. He is a big fan of EverQuest. I don't mean to disrespect him, but you'd think as a fan of EverQuest, he'd know that you don't need the dual-scale map to enable easily expanding and changing the world, as Sony has demonstrated with 20 expansions for EverQuest!

I also do not agree with the line of thinking that this game has to tailor itself to be on a tight budget. If that's what their objective is, then they've done a good job of it so far. But they could have just as well created a vertical slice of a high-quality game, shown it to us, and gotten many more of us to empty our pockets to pledge our support so they could make a game on a much higher budget. You know, sort of like how Cloud Imperium Games did with Star Citizen. It's unfortunate the mindset of Portalarium is just the opposite.

I'd much rather have a higher-budget, less mediocre game than what we'll end up with if they continue on their current path.

Toff, Joviex and Sunsanvil like this.
  7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Ahh yes the ever pleasent parroting comment, nothing like a little condescending comment to make me want to respond. I'm not talking about adding areas around but changing the areas as they go.

I think at this point you pretty much have your mind made up and it gets tiring running around in circles with you.

Time Lord, Mishri, Tarsin and 2 others like this.
  8. redfish

redfish Avatar

@tamino,

I never got into EverQuest... were they able to expand housing around a city without eating into the wilderness or messing up the surrounding map?

That's why I asked Brink whether he thinks housing worked well in UO.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Brink1123

Brink1123 Avatar

yes I think housing in UO was amazing and was a brilliant Idea housing in UO gave you a sense of ownership to the game and it wasn't just "YEW" but it was home.

10. tamino

tamino Avatar

11. redfish

redfish Avatar

I think housing in UO was seriously broken. It bled into the wilderness, shrinking the wilderness area, and there was no way to expand available space for housing if it was ever necessary. This forced a really artificial methods of kicking people out of their houses -- 'decay' --- where just after a short time of inattendance, a house would fall and be available to everyone to loot.

Time Lord, Mishri and Kaisa like this.
  12. redfish

redfish Avatar

@tamino, well exactly, then. EQ didn't try to solve the problems that the dev team here are trying to solve.

Time Lord and Mishri like this.
  13. tamino

tamino Avatar

And like I said, they expanded and changed their game world over the years with over 20 expansions and a multitude of patches, all without a dual-scale map.

14. redfish

redfish Avatar

@tamino,

They plan to expand the SotA game world in the same way when they release new chapters... each chapter will have its own continent. This is more about changing the existing map.

Time Lord and Kaisa like this.
  15. tamino

tamino Avatar

Oh I know, I am just illustrating you don't need a dual-scale map in order to accomplish that, even on a budget.

16. Brink1123

Brink1123 Avatar

the housing system in UO had restrictions on where you could place them to so all the hunting spots remained open ground. and yes not everyone could place a house because of space issues. but that doesn't mean you couldn't buy one from another player. you actually had to earn your house, and the decay time for a house was like a month before it fell that is plenty of time to go and refresh it. and space was added for housing you had housing in trammel and felucca then they added
    "illinshar spelling?" and another place later on "I cant remember the names of those places of the top of my head". but for any downfall NON instanced housing has it adds much more to the game. A piece of the game world that is yours to claim. I am a strong believer that any game should be as realistic as possible, people in real life own real property and yes real houses cut into the wildlife and yes if you don't take care of a real house it will decay and fall apart. that's life its hard and cruel but it is how it works, people in real life do not go into town and talk to some guy that teleports them to there house with no neighbors no view and no penalty for not taking care of what they own.

17. tamino

tamino Avatar

Haha, you're right, even the real world has housing issues. UO had it right.

It would have been nice to have an in-game real-estate market, though, rather than eBay being the only place to swap houses for money once they were placed.

18. redfish

redfish Avatar

Brink, yes in real life housing cuts into the wilderness, but the wilderness is much larger in real life, so the wilderness was still huge until modern times no matter how much housing expanded. In a dual-scale map, likewise, housing expands, but the wilderness remains huge. Its not an instanced system, so you'll still own a piece of land -- it'll just be less destructive to the game world.

I don't think people camping lots waiting for them to fall is anywhere near as realistic as possible. People will naturally still be able to lose their lots in SotA because they choose abandon them, but there will be less pressure to force them out just because the population on the server is increasing. And there will be no reason to move to a separate server just to find property.

Time Lord and Kaisa like this.
  19. redfish

redfish Avatar

@tamino,

If we're talking about true realism here, isn't realistic that there's a world where the majority of the world's population is homeless (UO) even if they're wealthy. If the devs really wanted to make it realistic, anyone should be able to find an empty spot in the wilderness, cut down some trees and build a cabin. Of course, that would be majorly destructive to the game world, because it wouldn't be sized to the population of the real world.

Athelstan and Time Lord like this.
  20. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I played everquest, I am well aware of the expansions...that's not what I'm trying to get at here.

The differance here is it is incredibly easy to just add an area instead of redoing a whole area map. The overland map could show a volcanoe at a hex and add that to the overall game with an easy click of the mouse on the server side. No need to redo a whole map. I think what you are not understanding is dynamic changes that ebb and flow over time(not exactlty tied to expansions per say)

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.