1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

New Pledge Rewards, New Pledge Tiers, Player Owned Towns & Stretch Goal Store Megapost

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Net

Net Avatar

I would like to address some points:

Race affinity
    - I would not mind starting bonus. Some skill points already spent in some areas or something like that. Maybe even cheaper skill. I hate the idea of 'end-game' bonus though. I do not want the best elf archer to always beat the best human archer or stuff like that. That will just mean that no one will play archer in the race without affinity for archery:-/ I am afraid that Portalarium seriously underesimated human nature and metagame here.

Expert Crafting Stations
    - I would spread them across more pledge tiers (not just Lord (4) and Lord Marshall (8)), for example like this:
    • Citizen/Edelmann - 1 Benefactor Expert Crafting Station
    • Knight - 2 Benefactor Expert Crafting Stations + 1 Founder Expert Crafting Station
    • Knight Marshall - 3 Benefactor Expert Crafting Station + 1 Founder Expert Crafting Station
    • Lord - 4 Benefactor Expert Crafting Stations + 2 Founder Expert Crafting Stations
    • Lord Marshall - 5 Benefactor Expert Crafting Stations + 2 Founder Expert Crafting Stations
    • Baron - 6 Benefactor Expert Crafting Stations + 2 Founder Expert Crafting Stations
    • Duke - 7 Benefactor Expert Crafting Stations + 2 Founder Expert Crafting Stations
    • Lord of the Manor - 8 Benefactor Expert Crafting Stations + 2 Founder Expert Crafting Stations

Founder pricing (and rewards)
    - I can live without rewards for two 'Marshall' tiers (though they would be nice), but it is really hard to convince myself to make bigger jump. I see two solutions (If Portalarium wants to be nice to their earliest backers):
    a) Portlarium pays the difference between old Founder and new Benefactor price (in store credit like that $20 Alienware bonus)
    b) Portalarium restore Founder pricing for a limited time (or unlimited, I do not care).

Player owned towns
    - I still see too many issues with them

Imho, owners of towns should pay tax for empty lots. If those lots are used, the tax is payed by lot owners instead (if they have tax-free lot, it does not affect taxes). Maybe they could have 20% of lots empty to not pay anything and if they had more than 80% of lot space occupied, they would have (really small) income. There should be imho ways how to use that money on upgrading player owned towns (and owners could ask people to pay higher taxes, so they could upgrade faster or they would be able to afford town with a lot of empty lots).

I think that people should be motivated to keep towns they buy populated. And I am not talking only about people buying hexes with money now, but people buying them ingame as well. If the system is implemented correctly, people could still have their private hex, but most hexes would be open for trade (so that owners of lots can afford to pay taxes) and they would welcome people to buy empty lots there. And if someone tried to terrorize people in their town, people would left and they would go bankrupt.

EDIT: Page 3? I started to write when there were just few replies... :D

2. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

its a chia pet house ~grins~

3. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

There were a number of changes made based on dev+ feedback. there wouldn't necessarily be noticed if you didn't see the original post. DS was adjusting the initial post based on feedback during the dev+ process.

Time Lord, Kaisa and Maka like this.
  4. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

If you read the thread you'll know what changed. Player towns changed, how those are received and what you get out of them changed. rewards at different tiers changed, lot placement changed. costs of a pledge changed. added new animals to mount goal, reduced the price of stretch goal addons. The public doesn't need to see the draft version of a proposal. Darkstarr makes a post in the thread when he changes things in the OP so you can refer to that too.

5. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

What happened to the mention of the horses not going *poof*, for the mount stretch goal?

6. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Village sized house, will work just fine as a house whether the goal is met or not.

7. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Guys, there is a lot of information to digest here. I suggest everyone read it a few times over before posting replies. We would also ask that when you do reply concerning the main post or in reply to someone else, that you continue to observe the Forum Rules. Please remember to be respectful towards each other regardless of disagreements in views you may have.

Thank you.

8. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

The items will function as expected. So foals will act like a baby horse pet. You just can't ride it. :)

9. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

New Races... (Elf or otherwise)

Ctrl-C 'Human' --> Ctrl-V 'New Race' : Change graphics
    Ctrl-C 'Skill Trees' --> Ctrl-V 'New Race Skill Trees' : Change titles/ spell names and alter spell graphics

Optional:
    Unique housing, clothing, armor/weapon graphics and 'language' for each race.

Both would have the same advantages and disadvantages in the background but graphically they would seem unique and different. People could then choose to play whichever they prefer.

I prefer this to giving each of them unique race advantages and disadvantages.

Dantuin, Time Lord, Gubbles and 3 others like this.
  10. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

What happens when a goal is met? Example: if the horse goal is achieved, will we no longer be able to buy a foal from the stretch goal store? Will we then have to buy a horse from the add on store or in game?

Time Lord likes this.
  11. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Note the new wording that specifically mentions animations like vaulting and getting knocked from your horse. Original post said horse would disappear for instance.
    • When mount appears you automatically vault into the saddle
    • Cannot fight while mounted. If you are hit / enter combat while on horseback you are knocked from your horse

12. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Thank you very much DarkStarr for all the hard work you and your team are doing. These changes are very much a step in the right direction!

There's one snag, though. In the OP, you explain:

It's fantastic that you recognize this issue, yet nothing is suggested or planned to address the crux of this issue. The reason many Founders stopped upgrading by April 7th has more to do with the discounted pricing before April 7th than it does the next tier really being out of reach. A lot of Founders rushed to get to the tier they wanted to make it by that deadline, but now you put us in a pickle! As NirAntae points out:

Please, please, please do this. Bring back Founder pricing for a time. I very much expect a lot of Founder Knights and Lords in particular will want to upgrade after this, and bringing back that discount will right the issue that those tiers weren't available at the time those people hit the tier they're on right now, meaning upgrading will cost them their discount. At the same time, it would provide a stronger incentive for those people to upgrade, netting overall more money for Portalarium (if it sways even just a few people to upgrade who wouldn't otherwise).

I'm very excited by this news and hope to see this last little snag worked out. It's rare for a development project like this to listen to community feedback in the way that you all have, and I am quite certain we are all very grateful for it. :D If so much as the above is done, this plan will be perfect IMO.

13. Net

Net Avatar

And can we raise them and ride them if the goal is met? Or they will be just pets even if the goal is met?

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I disagree. A large part of my initial upgrade to Lord for the Town but also for the Founder Expert Crafting Stations (2). Spreading the crafting stations amongst the tiers would remove what is a large part of the upgrade from Knight Marshal to Lord. The reason they jumped in with all the crafting stations was to keep value for the Lord tier when introducing a new one $400 below that included a Town Lot. Additionally, giving 4 crafting stations to Lord and above gives out a certain number. Giving 3 crafting stations to Knight and 1 at citizen adds way more crafting stations into the game and they have already stated they want crafting (stations?) to be the next most expensive thing after housing.

treehoofer, aevans, Soleidad and 6 others like this.
  15. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

How will the eviction in a player town work? Will it be instant? I'd hate to have all my stuff locked in deed because someone decided to evict me. If all the public lots are taken then it would be Schitz Creek for them.

16. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

As I understand it, the foal grows into a full horse that you can ride.

Time Lord and Senash Kasigal like this.
  17. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I would imagine that it will work as if you hadn't paid rent on you non-rent free lot. The house and all decorations would be returned to your inventory.

Time Lord and licemeat like this.
  18. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Foals will grow up to be horses of the goal is met, Sir Nicholas.

19. rild

rild Avatar

I feel pricing is fair for Founders still (as one), in particular because we also get the bonus crafting tables, as well as the other founder rewards. Also, because our lot placement priority has been preserved.

I would like to hear some more about the role player elves will have in society, when that is available. I will have no problem with elves as a player race if they retain their distinct identity as New Britannian elves created by the Obsidians, and are treated in line with this lore (at least initially) by human and elven NPCs alike. There are fantastic possibilities for this idea that will only be achieved by properly fitting new player races into the storyline. It would be a great disservice to the game to make elves "just another option", imho.

I'm ok with racial bonuses or not, so long as the identity of the player elf remains intact and consistent. The lore tells us that the creatures we know as elves were created specifically for combat - now this could be achieved through special skills unavailable to the human player character, or through stat/progression bonuses. In any case, the social disadvantage of playing an elf (i.e. aggro from human NPCs) should provide balance to such affinities. This could play well into future story lines also, Taking the existing lore into account, I feel like the elves need to have separate abilities or advantages to fit properly.

Also, I really like the images Myrcello posted before as suggestions for the Lord Marshall's Great Hall.

--EDIT-- I like Browncoat's previous suggestion that quests be used to bring the new player race in. How bout if the people who pledge in the stretch goal store get to start as an elf, but other players have to unlock the race. This also adds more value to the contributing money.

20. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I believe it was mentioned in the Dev+ post that if the stretch goal is met, you can raise the foals into a rideable mount.

I've voiced my concern on the stretch goal store which remains, but overall I'm very happy with the ideas presented and also very happy on how DarkStarr, Chris, etc. adjusted the ideas based upon feedback.

Re-opening Founder pricing could bring more revenue into the game, making the game better for everyone. But it carries the risk of alienating and enraging people who were upset the first time Founder status was extended.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.