"Shares reputation and last name..."

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Canterbury, Jun 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

New, under Virtual Collector.
    • Second Character Slot (Rent Free): Marked as Kindred and shares reputation and last name.
    While I totally understand why it would be done like that, is this confirmation that last names are now compulsory?

For example, I had gotten used to my character being just 'Canterbury' in the way that some folk just refer to themselves by their surname.

Now, it's no big deal for me to have a first name before that, or a surname after that... just confirming that this is now official... we all need first and last names?

2. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

I would guess that would be the case only if you plan on using the extra slots...

Jambo, Jivalax Azon, Maka and 2 others like this.
  3. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Well, let's think about that for a minute. How would that actually work?

In your scenario I could decide in my head, "I only want to use one slot..." and thus create a character with a single name.

But then a month later I decide I want to use the other slot. After all; it's sitting there... I'm free to use it, right?

So what happens then? How does that new character have my character's surname if he was only ever created with a first name?

And in that example I think you can see why you'd have to create a firstname-lastname character from the start, regardless of what you might or might not do in the future.

4. Gabriel Nightshadow

Good point, Canterbury. I'm not sure if they would let you add on a last name later ;)

5. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I think that would create a more clunky system than just making people pick the two names from the start.

My money's on this announcement being an indication of just that; we will be made to have two names from the start.

6. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Save that I believe the granting of a Last Name was included in one of the kickstarter pledge levels.

Edit:
    From the Kickstarter page:
    Pledge $50 or more

1063 backers

IMMORTAL ADVENTURER
    Available only to backers, you will receive one Immortality Fruit seed. With the Farming Craft you can plant the Immortality Fruit seed, which will bear a single fruit. When eaten, this fruit will fully heal you, and leave you with a single seed which can be planted and harvested, over and over, for all eternity. The Immortality Fruit seed can be transferred between players. Also, get your last name early! Ordinary adventurers must reach higher levels to display a last name for their character, but not you! Immortal Adventurers will have the right to select and display both a first and last name right from the get-go! Additionally, your in-game avatar will receive the honorific title of "Immortal Adventurer" to be proudly displayed for all to see (title visibility controlled by player).

7. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

OK, so this is getting more and more twisted and convoluted as we go on.

So that suggests below that pledge you can't have a surname from the start, until you reach a higher level...

... so what if you want to roll your second character before that first character reaches that higher level?!?

Jivalax Azon, Maka and Time Lord like this.
  8. Gabriel Nightshadow

Yes, the last name priority from the Immortal Adventurer pledge level is quite well-known, but you do bring up a very good point, Canterbury. I'm sure the developers will come up with some way around this...

9. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I've said this before, but I'd be happy to see things earned in game. So at some point you unlock last names, at some point you unlock a second character.

I'd love to see a displayable nickname separate from a more formal name.

10. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

I don't want to 'display' a second name on 'me'. Other 'people' on my account perhaps might 'wear' their last name. I hope we can have the choice to keep it 'turned off' visually.

11. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Good Idea Fireangel. I have tried to give Baldrith a last name, but I can't get myself set on anything. I've always just been Baldrith or Lord Baldrith. In UO I did have a 2nd character named BaldrithI who was strictly a mage with no crafting.

I really hope they allow us to just use 1 name if we desire. The characters can all still be related in some way, but why should they have to have a last name? Relation is just assumed...

12. Maka

Maka Avatar

Just my two cents but with all the work going into different titles by pledge tier, coloring for early founders and display no title at all. I'm reasonably confident if we are required a last name it could be toggled off. To take it one step further the way our friends list in game is bound to account I don't think we'll need last names at all for our slots to share reputation and goodies! :)

13. Maka

Maka Avatar

Earning them is what was said at some point. So three toons on the same account that hadn't unlocked names yet would still need to be linked. Leaving me to believe it's a much deeper system that they generalized by saying share last name. We can hope!

14. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

In SWTOR, your alt characters are part of your Legacy. When you get far enough in the game, you unlock a Legacy name. You can have alt characters before you unlock your Legacy name, but none can display the Legacy name until it is unlocked.

In SWTOR, you also have the option of not displaying your Legacy name. Not sure how it will work for SotA.

15. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

I'm with Canterbury, Lord Baldrith and Fireangel. Took me long enough to come up with one name - I'd have real trouble finding a last name. Asclepius Smith? Maybe not:rolleyes::p But yes, Fireangel's idea is good - if they "have" a last name, but we can turn it off for display. That would definitely work.

16. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I'm going with Erik O'Connor. They just need to add apostrophe support to the game already!

17. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I see why you'd want that, and I don't disagree. However, if they are forcing people to retain the surname of the other character on the account, it's likely an anti-griefing move, so they will want it displayed, not invisible.

18. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

You may be correct, but my ears didn't hear anything other than the last name helping them keep track of us on one account.

Jivalax Azon and Time Lord like this.
  19. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Just rambling here & thinking out loud, (or thinking in print, hehe) And I'm sure someone has probably already said all this, so don't mind me. The whole last name thing is kind of nebulous to me right now.

So if ordinarily, last names are going to be unlocked "later," then the system must have a way to track & link characters on one account without a last name. If displaying last names is optional, then most characters are going to be running around with first names only, either because they haven't unlocked it yet or decided not to display it. And if last names don't have to be shown, then what is the point of requiring a last name to begin with? The system should track them anyway. And if first names don't have to be unique, how in the world are we to tell the difference between the 25 Bobs running around.

Personally I'm not a fan of having non-unique first names with mandatory last names. I'm all for options and optional last names are a nice feature in any game. But I know I will hate seeing someone running around with my first name, even if they have a different last name. Of course it's always mildly annoying if my first choice of name is already taken, but that's easier to live with than seeing people in-game with the same name as me. I'd rather just choose another name if it's taken. And I definitely don't want to see a roving band of Bobs running around together. lol.

I'm assuming they must have their reasons for this, but right now it really kind of escapes me.

20. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I'm not sure what you mean by "helping them"? Assuming you mean helping Portalarium (?) they know who we are via our account login.

A surname that must be shared across all characters on the same account would be something for fellow gamers to see and, like I said, that would be an anti-griefing thing.

(And I think I'm on pretty solid ground saying that, as the two characters also share reputation as well as the surname; again, an anti-griefing thing...)

Being able to hide the name would run counter to why the rule was there in the first place, if you see what I mean...? They don't want people playing both sides off one account.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.