"Shares reputation and last name..."

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Canterbury, Jun 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

I am old school when it comes to gaming. Last names wouldn't be required for the staff to keep track of accounts and players, it would just be a tool for us to easily identify others.

So then, give us the same access by another method. I would enjoy having to cast a spell of identification in which you could observe linked characters on that player's SotA account. Cast the spell directly on a player in line of sight, on an object dropped by a player(last player to touch it), or if you know their name then cast and find a creative way to cast the spell on a name.

2. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

As a player, I'll have the power to toggle all names on or off, and I can toggle whether others see my guild, title, and my last name (if i've achieved the ability to display it at all).

But, If a player interacts with me in some way, or I specifically select them and 'examine' them, I should be able to see their full name along with their visible inventory (their armor and things they are holding in their hands).
    After all, if first names are not unique, we'll need to be able to grab their full names to place them on our 'block list/friend list'.

Again, the name that appears if i turn on 'names' should be the one they choose to display, but i should be able to select them and find out their full name with the click of a button or a simple command operation (or identify spell).

-Iazon Paragon

3. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Im against last names as well. I only ever have a first if given the option. This would be a good compromise for me if we are made to have a last name. I do understand the reasoning behind the need for reputation and how the last name should be accessible for someone that wants to see, but the option of toggling if shown or not by the player is enough to quell my dislike.

4. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

So if you understand why they are requiring us to have lastnames, why do you want them able to be switched off?

Doesn't that defeat the reason they are being created in the first place?

5. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I'm assuming that reputation in this case is a game mechanic, and not just that players on the server would recognize you by your name.

docdoom77, Jivalax Azon and Time Lord like this.
  6. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

If it was possible to view the last name with some sort of 'inspect' function, then wouldn't that cover the identification-due-to-griefing aspect that this is probably meant to control? The player could choose to display their last name or not, but other people could also choose to view that name if they needed/wanted to.

I'm not sure how they're going to deal with this in light of the fact that the pledge rewards imply a last name has to be earned, though. It doesn't matter that only pledges above that level will get an extra character slot included for free, since they apparently plan to sell them in the store so anyone will be able to buy an extra slot. Maybe they'll change it so that the last name can be displayed only once the right to do so has been earned (for lower pledges), which would imply that the last name doesn't 'need' to be displayed in the first place. (Rambling, sorry!)

Canterbury, with regard to your original query, maybe if your first character was just called 'Canterbury' then subsequent characters might take that as their last name if there's nothing else? So you might end up with Canterbury, Steve Canterbury and John Canterbury, for example.

I don't know how they'll decide to do it, but it does sound as though they forgot about the 'right to have a last name from the start' bit when they came up with this! ;)

:) That reminded me of this snippet from an old UK TV show...

7. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

@ Karrolanth.. Thank you for that vid. lol. So appropriate too. I love it. :)

Jivalax Azon and Time Lord like this.
  8. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

Heh... glad you enjoyed it! (It was based on a car ad (Fiat, I think) that showed a fully-automated factory building their cars, with the slogan "hand built by robots".)

I share your dislike of seeing other players with the same name as your character, but let's face it - that happens in real life too unless you have a really unusual name. :) A homeschooling group that I belonged to a few years back already had three other mums who shared my first name when I joined. I said, "Just call me 'Fred', then!" - and I ended up being known as Fred for about three years... ;)

9. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

So complicated and convoluted. What ever happened to just playing a game lol?

10. aevans

aevans Avatar

Given

and
    It seems characters may not have a last name until some character level is attained. With linked characters on the same account, you would not be able to select (and thus display) the last name until one of the characters reached a certain level, or you have this pledge reward.

Since it says select, does that imply a process of choosing something such that no one else has it (e.g. it is unique)?

Display of last name would pretty much have to be optional from the start. Otherwise the game will have to show a modal dialog box forcing you to select your last name the instance you gain that level the first time for any of your character slots. And that's not going to happen. So last names should be something you unlock as an option, and can select when you want. On an account level. Any account with this pledge reward simply has it unlocked from the start. Selection would be the same as if you had just gained the necessary level that grants it.

[x] Show Title: (dropdown box of all titles earned by this account)
    [ ] Show Guild (only available when a member of a guild)
    Character Name: (select one)
    (.) Show First Name
    ( ) Show Last Name (only available to accounts that have unlocked and selected a last name)
    ( ) Show First and Last Name (only available to accounts that have unlocked and selected a last name)

Now you run into the problem of determining which alternates belong to the same account, and thus belong to the same player, and thus are automatically kindred, and thus share reputation. Without the common last name, there is nothing (publicly) available to go on. You shouldn't display the account's main SotA user account login name, since those with high level pledges may not want their in-game character linked to their profile (it is a choice for them to release that information publicly).

So what's left?
    A unique account number displayed and used only for the purposed of linking accounts (whether or not a last name has been selected)?
    Require all accounts to select a last name at creation (removing the bonus from the the Immortal Adventurer pledge)?
    Show all character names available on that account automatically (when viewing a paper doll or friend/ignore list or other place where account and shared reputation information are needed).

I guess this will have to go into the weekly list of questions to ask developers to get some more clarification.

11. aevans

aevans Avatar

Given that the additional characters are marked as kindred and share last names, I'm guessing the intent is that all of the characters are part of the same family and share everything. Interestingly that just tripled the number of in-game Lords and Dukes and Barons, etc (or by more if you can buy more character slots). All of the slots can have unique names (first+last) and still use the same titles granted by the account. Also once you figure out who the nobility is in-game, you can figure out their alternate characters since they are all linked, whether they display titles and last names or not.

I think the option to toggle all of these is the way to go, again once you have earned something to actually display (your last name, a special title only granted based on in-game deeds, etc). But that would likely just be for display, e.g. what shows up on screen over your character (when players have that option displayed), as well as what shows up in NPC dialog, chat windows, and emotes. When you examine a player or see them in your friend/ignore list, you get all the details shown so you can track account and player information.

Like this, except a different in game object for scrying or divination:
    If you enter a partial name, you could match against all character names so you can figure out which one you really wanted. Though if you try to search on a single letter, it'll probably only give you a few random answers - or break and you won't be able to use it again for a week.

12. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

I don't know, I still think if you run into a passel of Bobs running around like 90 bandits, it's gonna be a pita having to try and click each one to find out who they are. lol. I have a humorous little hologram of that scenario in my mind at the moment. :)

13. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Enderandrew & Karralonath answered for me as i would have. Also with names showing up in game over heads and also in chat channel, i think it will all be to much displaying the last names. The screen and chat might be filled up with basically unneeded information, it would all be to busy and cluttered. In real life once we know someone we don't generally call them by both first and last name. By examining my in game profile / character sheet and seeing a last name there would be ok for me personally. Thus if we have to have a last name this is a good compromise for me.

14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Will the "Skins" of our 2nd chr have to have another name other than the first chr's name?

"You are the Avatar"... but are you still you otherwise? or do you have to choose another name for the 2nd chr's first name?
    I haven't researched it that much because I've chosen some alts to use just in case...
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

15. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

OK, so Andrew answered the question I had posed to you by saying he assumes reputation is a game mechanic. To which I would say, yes, of course it will be. That is a given. The point of this thread, however, is to indicate that a second character on the same account MUST have the same surname and MUST share the same reputation. That, to me, is clearly indicating we will need to have second names on our characters. My guildmate, Karrolanth, whom you also cited, concluded by saying she doesn't really know how they'll decide to do it. So, ultimately, that's where we're at. The game seems to be doing something you won't necessarily like. But that's not by my design; I'm just pointing it out.

16. smack

smack Avatar

My interpretation of the rewards, assuming they haven't changed them:

1) All characters must have a last name, but you aren't required to display it
    2) All characters on that account share that last name
    3) Only Immortal Adventurers (and above) get the option to display their last name from the beginning. All others below this tier must level up before they are given that option to display their last name.

Just make up some random last name if you don't care for one, as it's your option to display it or not.

So somewhere on the Account screen you'd need to enter a last name that all characters on the account share. And somewhere on the Character screen, the last name field is pre-populated with that chosen last name, along with the option to display it or not for that character.

17. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Just because A>B, does not mean B>A.

Just because you can only have one last name among all your char slots, that does not mean that you must have a last name. It just means you can't have more than one.

smack, Jivalax Azon and Time Lord like this.
  18. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

My last name is going to be Isaiah. That way I can create Mega Isaiah, Immortal Isaiah, and Omega-Supreem Isaiah.

19. Floors

Floors Avatar

This is the fun part

I can see an 8 page thread and a paper map style revolt if this isn't clarified soon ;)

20. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    When I have the same Karma as my other self can't we hide that as well so we can further escape what we are?
    Can I just be me again? Just in another skin without a name change at all?
    Or is this a way to hide from others who we are?
    We do need answers hu? o_O
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.