Diversity in Gaming (article)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rild, Jun 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rild

rild Avatar

A great article from NPR for this week of E3 - we have an opportunity to be different. Let's do!

All Tech Considered Story

Time Lord, smack, royalsexy and 2 others like this.
  2. herradam

herradam Avatar

Yes please.

rild, Time Lord and crossbowsoda like this.
  3. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

I have to hand it to Ubisoft.

'Child of Light' was a great title with excellent gameplay and awesome female protagonists.

They really messed up the playable character choices in 'Unity,' though. No women?! In the french revolution?!

The devs are just asking for a 'heavenly message' from the 'Angel of Assassination,' having pulled a move like that.

Enter stage left: Charlotte Corday!

A lot of high-budget games suck these days. I made the mistake of buying an Xbox 360, and I mostly avoid the blockbuster games now. They were much better on the dated consoles.

I'm looking forward to getting a Wii U! Wind-Waker! Pikmin 3! Aagghh!!

It's all strategy & fighting games for me. Tabletop Warhammer, Smash Bros, Civilization, etc.

Edit: oh, yeah - agreed!

rild, Time Lord and herradam like this.
  4. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Not only did Microsoft not represent women at E3 this year, but they've never done it. And last year they made a **** joke on stage at E3. I'm not kidding.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/e3-audience-offended-by-****-joke-at-microsoft-xbox-one-event/

I think the big dogs are ignoring diversity in gaming. As a father to two daughters, I know they constantly look for the ability to look up to female protagonists, and play female characters themselves.

rild, Time Lord and tradyblix like this.
  5. herradam

herradam Avatar

Awful. I also worry about the inclusion of strong female characters for my daughter to look up to, as well as an atmosphere that doesn't perpetuate these sorts of disgusting remarks.

rild and Time Lord like this.
  6. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

MMOs (or any social games) have always been different though.

rild and Time Lord like this.
  7. DarkBlue Monkey

DarkBlue Monkey Avatar

I just hope that if SotA includes relationships at all, it'll mirror real-life that includes same sex relationships.

8. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

This.
    SWTOR REALLY dropped the ball on this. They promised the LBGT community same-sex romance options for companions and it never came.

EA and Old Republic haven't gotten a penny from me for a while.

rild, Lord Baldrith and Time Lord like this.
  9. Floors

Floors Avatar

Ultima VII was equal opportunity when it came to this. And that was 20 years ago.

RG is an open minded kinda guy.

10. enderandrew

SWTOR never promised them at launch. Bioware had them in past titles. I'm not sure precisely who vetoed them in SWTOR initially (EA?) but when they did get permission to add them, they started with new content and have suggested all new content moving forward would have them

They've upheld that promise.

There are same sex romance options in now for some of the new content.

Time Lord and tekkamansoul like this.
  11. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Fine. Maybe I'll go back. No promises.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. enderandrew

The game has gotten a lot better over the years. Right now is actually a bit of a lull because the next free expansion got pushed back. So the latest content patch only added a Nightmare difficulty to an Operation, class balance tweaks and a new gambling event. This patch was planned to have a full free expansion with it, and now there is a bit of a void until August. But they're trying to make up for that by running lots of in game events until then.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

That'd be nice! Hadn't given it much thought til now.

It'd be kind of weird if my boyfriend were forced to play as a woman in order for us to get married in-game.

Or if I were. o.0

Lord Baldrith and Time Lord like this.
  14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"Diversity and Acceptance"
    [​IMG]

I left the USA where I had a Gov 9-5 job and because of the Gov "inclusion policies", I worked in a very diverse atmosphere. So, I had many friends from many differing social circles. I found that most Americans have a diverse range of people, yet seemed to have social walls between them.

Here in Thailand, I was very surprised to see that none of those walls existed here and everyone's style of life is integrated and socially accepted as just "normal people"... I can't think of anything that our SotA gaming mechanics could restrict, but I haven't really thought about it that much so maybe there is.

I think the more important issue with what was said in the NPR review, was still an unspoken realm of socially acceptable everything. The acceptance of not only "strong females but weak ones as well" and not only "strong male figures, but weaker ones as well".

So when we look at gaming mechanics and what's available, "old stereo type molds" seem to be what the deeper issue is from what was said in NPR's review.

While I was working with several militaries, such sergeants acting abilities were wonderful to get to see, yet they were acts and the ones that weren't acting and were like that in real, they needed a few less people to ever be under their command. I could act like that and did in many places because of what was, yet I also knew that when dealing with natives, another completely different act was needed to gain their trust. I describe these things because 'the world is a stage", yet when we want to act like ourselves, "we need to be able to do that with it's most full flavor possible and without restrictions or prefab molds to fit ourselves into".

There's a time and place for everything and through diversity is the only to see any honest world...
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Eriador, rild, Lord Baldrith and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.