Organizing the first player-run city with a crafting and trading theme

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Jatvardur, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biblik

Biblik Avatar

Yes, you need to edit the width/height before you create the new town size. For example if you change the standard width of 120 to 240 the height will adjust accordingly and when you create it it will work better.

Yes I am working on the selecting many to change type to speed it up right now should be able to here in a bit. Also the map appears to mirror itself after the first save but that should be pretty easy to fix before I publish out updates.

2. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Ok, I see. I missed that during the set up phase.

3. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

I am loving the idea of that posible buzz the area might generate especially if its a success with how the servers are going to work we need areas for groups of people to connect . and if you're in and out like a real town its a good way to make new friends .

Jatvardur likes this.
  4. Biblik

Biblik Avatar

If what the dev's mentioned in the main thread was true then you will see that the layout you are working on is highly impossible. Even with just adding in the smallest buffers as possible the layout you are working on has on chance of fitting in a metropolis.

I took a screen shot but if you load map # 8 you will see the work in progress. I didn't want to make any more assumptions on how the town should be laid out so I stopped working on it until either a dev says the town limits are just how many lots can be included or someone else starts working on it.

[​IMG]

5. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I like Design 4 - coastal city hex by Brian! I am still shopping for a town or city to call home, also if i was in your city i would like to run a Gladiator type tournament in my Arena, that could also be something that stands out in your city a Gladiator Arena with prizes. Ill be lurking here to see what you come up with. Sound interesting so far!

Brian and Jatvardur like this.
  6. Biblik

Biblik Avatar

Here is a real example of how a player city could be built on the water to take advantage of all aspects of the town -

[​IMG]

Jatvardur and blaquerogue like this.
  7. Father Aquila

Father Aquila Avatar

I really like how this is coming along and I want an Amsterdam type row house on the water!

Smoke and a pancake anyone?

Brian, Jatvardur and Lord Lonn Bimmer like this.
  8. Lord Lonn

Lord Lonn Avatar

Is this by invitation only?

9. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Agreed!

Hadn't considered that, but actually a good idea. I wonder if the theatre building could help with this (assuming it is included for Ep1). Entrance could be charged and folks could be seats to watch several duels. However, it might also work using another building or even a large basement. If the locking mechanism works as I think it might, then you could sell keys to access the games... or the games can be open to all. Just throwing out some ideas.

If we go down the route of large public games then I suspect the town council would help to coordinate. The more that I think on this idea the more I like. :)

I don't even know if that's possible yet, but would certainly be cool. That's a keeper. ;-)

You are now invited. :p The 'application' process doesn't really exist, just have to note your interest at this stage. There is more than enough capacity to let everyone who has posted have a house. In post 2 pictures of how things might roughly look. Not planning to have any keeps or castles, they soak up too much space (castle is circa 15% of a city's space).

There is no requirement to donate / pledge but certainly it would be appreciated.

10. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

I don't understand this completely. I've been creating lay-outs based on the number lots. The quoted sizes are the available lot area in square metres. I haven't paid any regard to overall hex size, didn't see it listed anywhere. If we have to rework things then that is fine too, still early in the design stage.

Looks good. Your town designer is coming along nicely.

Brian likes this.
  11. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Jat yeah, I would love to run tournaments Pvp, and also side bets on each fighter for a grand prize as well as prizes for the winner of the gladiator battles, it could generate a lot of business for and coming from your city, each city could have its champions, as well as pick up fighters. it could also be broken up in divisions like, magic user battles, regular fighting battles, and teams of 3 etc..... i think it would be awesome! ill design something up and let you check it out!

12. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

I am seeing a lot of cool detailed ideas on how plots should be laid out on the terrain. Has Portalarium started working with anyone on specifics? I am curious if they indicated to what extent you get to help plan the layout?

Brian likes this.
  13. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Sweet! Good initiative on this one too. It could be highly successful!

People could place bets whenever they enter the arena, and the folks who win could perhaps get some of the money taken from the tickets. The rest of the pot can go either to the city (if it is a town event) or to the organizer (if it is privately organized). Bets could be handled by the bits of paper we have in-game.

Brian likes this.
  14. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

No specifics, although I have emailed Firelotus and asked. She mentioned templates that the devs will start from and then apply some customization. She didn't say how much customization but she did say that player-run town are still in the very early stages of development. The devs haven't hammered out all aspects of it yet.

I think designing layouts is fun, sometimes tedious(!), so the designs should be treated as cool ideas to spark creativity rather than anything definite. Since posting some pics people can see what I'm thinking and I'd say I've had some good feedback: e.g. keep NPC buildings clustered, main thoroughfares should be wider.

NRaas and Tarsin like this.
  15. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I was thinking the gold could be given to a designated banker at the event, he keeps track of the winnings and losings, payouts etc./ Like

blaquerogue - 30 gold on jasper if jasper loses then the gold is not returned, but if jasper wins take all the winning bets on jasper + add together the divide by however, they give me the piece of paper with 30gp jasper on it, which the banker gave to them when they paid for the bet, so its legit to give them 200gp for the winning. of course we would add all the losings together town or person gets 10%, which goes into building better places within the city or expanding. (and pay my rent on the lot size for the arena) :)!
    [​IMG]

16. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

17. Gau2

Gau2 Avatar

My overarching vision of Jat's concept and all of us that are interested in it:

I. I support one wise king to be the end-all be-all on the Metropolis (if it is purchased). The king should (note I say SHOULD, and not will) take the counsel of his investors. "Why would I trust him?" one might ask... Because he has a lengthy history on these boards. Even though we have not met, I can discern who he might be ;-) People that show this kind of dedication to the subject matter, in my humble life experience, are wise enough for a bit of trust. It isn't as though you are giving him the keys to a nuke ;-) Town councils are nice and lovely, but a king is final. Nobody ever said a negative thing about the concept of kingship, except when kings are bad kings. Choose a good one. They are efficient.

II. I love charters and all the pseudo legalese so you can point to it when the "don't lawyer me bro" crowd come a complainin. If you do the right thing, who cares about the rules? This is a game that comes from a history of appreciating VIRTUE!

III. We all love to lay out towns. But until we get some concrete dev feedback, all is just speculation. Speculation is nice, but doesn't build a metropolis.

IV. Other cities and towns are plentiful. Cop a feel on the talk they are spewing and decide which ones interests you. In just a few days of being active on these threads, I like Jat's general ideas and am on board.

V. Make sure you know what you are looking for in a town and then sign on ;-) I want a place to call home that is led by wisdom. I want a place where I can have a successful crafting and vendor life. I want a place where in a short time I can rustle up a group of adventurers to go hunt the wumpus ;-) Or, a dragon or a Paroxysmus ;-) Oh yeah, I am as far from RP as they come, so the RP boys and girls (God bless them) should do their thing and I will do mine....no offense.

VI. To beat a dead horse, I am in.

Thanks for listening, now I will go drink some more beer and wait for further dev clarification on what we can and can't do with a metropolis ;-)

Brian

Jatvardur likes this.
  18. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

@Brian thanks for the vote of confidence, I hear ya on all points. I think that folks willing to take the risk with a town should try to get a good feel for the leader.

The creation of a council is my recognition that I won't be able to do everything myself even if am the mayor. Naively I hope that potential council members and mayors have their interests aligned with the town. If needs be I can kick but I'm not eager to do so.

I see the charter as an indication of how out of game mechanics will work. I dont think it can be used for lawyering, I see it as privileges that people can have so long as they dont cause problems. As you say, if there are no problems then the rules aren't even thought about.

Paxlair is fairly insulated from charters and discussions of leadership. They've been around more than a decade and have stable leadership. They have a charter but I dont think any issues have arisen where someone relied upon it. I take inspiration from Paxlair and will work with them in the future, and my intention is to have a similar even handed approach to running the this town.

Looking forward to catching up in game

Brian likes this.
  19. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

On Lot Allocation / Funding
    I think that we will have a fair amount of extra capacity at launch, so I expect everyone who wants a place will get one. That said, earlier 'backers' will get lot priority. I'll maintain a list of who is interested and what lot size they desire.
    As donating is not a requirement then anyone who shows interest early will get priority over someone who shows interest later. Players who have already stated an interest will be at the top of the list (order of posting).
    Folks who donate will get as near guarantee as reasonable possible: select a lot size then donate the equivalent amount in dollars. If you ask for a town lot then you'll be added to the town lot list.
    • Sort by who wants which size of lot.
      • Then by dollar amount (dpestn't need to match the cost per square metre of the lot but higher gives a better chance).
        • Then by date of interest shown.

Rough list of interested players
    Burnden Park
    Kadumel
    Enderandrew
    Brian
    Lord Gorynych
    Lord Lorimus

On Town Names
    Still thinking on this.

Solgard -- It is a mix of the Celestis area (based on light) and the style of Norgard. So could fit in either. Really it should be gård, but hey....
    Vatngard -- more fitting with the Norgard area. Vatn is Icelandic for water.
    Opulentus -- would fit in the Brittany region. Fits with the latin grandiose names. Literal meaning is Opulence; which fits with a trader town.

I see another player town with the name Barterton. I like it; it is simple, descriptive and fits well with SOTA.

Lord Trady of Blix and Brian like this.
  20. Gau2

Gau2 Avatar

Jat, do you like Vanguard?

Lord Baldrith likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.