Citizen/Edelmann house

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dp_dropout, Jun 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp_dropout

dp_dropout Avatar

I understand the upgrade to citizen or edelmann pledge level because of the village lot which has additional space surrounding the house. What I don't understand is why anyone would use those 2 tiny homes when they also have free access to a 4-story row house with 2 story basement which comes with the developer pledge. I sure as hell will use the bigger one even though it will probably look crappy in the middle of a forest without any windows on 3 sides.
    Isn't it time to re-think and re-design the tiny citizen and edelmann houses?

Lord Trady of Blix, Numa and licemeat like this.
  2. herradam

herradam Avatar

Not everyone has the same tastes or preferences. I think the tier is fine as it is.

Gaelis and NRaas like this.
  3. dp_dropout

dp_dropout Avatar

Yeah that's completely beside the point I'm making.
    I too prefer the look of the citizen and edelmann house, but the space you loose compared to a lower tier house is ridiculous, so it's definitely not fine as it is.

Lord Trady of Blix and Gaelis like this.
  4. herradam

herradam Avatar

You're not losing anything. You're gaining a village lot that you can use your row house on if you choose. You're also getting a small house that you can use if you want more yard space. Considering also that you can buy a basement, there won't be any issues with space.

5. dp_dropout

dp_dropout Avatar

I can buy a viking house as well, which again is completely beside the point. All your space problems in this game can be solved by shelling out more money. :rolleyes:
    The floor plan and cellar of the way more expensive tier house are like 4 times as small. I don't understand why anyone would consider this ok. Well unless of course you want to argue some more about all the other stuff in the pledge, which has no point since I'm purely focussing on the house design.
    The citizen house is next to useless with all the nooks and while the edelmann house is marginally bigger, the row house has 4 floors of that size...

6. herradam

herradam Avatar

Which is why I direct you to my point about individual tastes. Not everyone is obsessed with more space and bigger houses.

The biggest draw at this tier, by far, is the village lot. That's the value for upgrading.

NRaas likes this.
  7. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

The special houses in that levels are pyrrhics, since the first day.

8. dp_dropout

dp_dropout Avatar

Yeah no ****, that's the first sentence of my original post. The third sentence is about how the row house will most likely look crappy.
    I'm arguing the friggin house design, nothing else.
    Thanks for your contribution to the thread.:rolleyes:

9. herradam

herradam Avatar

/sigh

If you don't like the house design then don't up your pledge or don't use the house. No one is forcing that money out of your bank account. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that either the design is bad or that it should be changed. This thread just screams privilege.

10. dp_dropout

dp_dropout Avatar

Let me reverse your statement: just because you think it's fine doesn't mean it's good or shouldn't be changed.
    Both citizen and edelmann designs date back to before there was any row housing. The next step is to rethink those two tiny homes based on and compared to the lower tier homes.
    It's logic, not privilege.

11. herradam

herradam Avatar

Exactly. It's a subjective opinion, the value of the tier lies in the much bigger lot and you have access to the houses/plot space of the lower tiers. You've not lost anything, but have actually gained quite a bit. And you want more? That's not logic, but greed.

12. dp_dropout

dp_dropout Avatar

My current pledge doesn't even include a house (yet you seem adamant in arguing that I'm greedy), so I spent a good portion of my on-line time comparing them. That made me see first-hand how ridiculous those 2 homes are compared to lower tier homes.

It's quite interesting to see how much effort you put in arguing against this idea while everyone I grouped with in-game came to the same conclusion I did.
    It hasn't been that long ago that certain higher tier pledges argued their case and got a better designed home so why not these tiers? What do you have to loose when there are plenty of arguments to make them better?

13. herradam

herradam Avatar

If this isn't your tier then why are you making a big effort? Just because you and a few people agreed doesn't make that any sort of objective truth. Also, it seems like you're taking my opinion quite personally, I'm not sure why that is.

Certain higher tiers got revisions, not completely different houses based on design issues. No one was arguing that they were entitled to a bigger house or more floor space.

14. dp_dropout

dp_dropout Avatar

Again, what do you have to loose by those designs getting better? You seem determined to stop that. Did I hit home with this thread or something? I don't see anyone else arguing against it.

Calling arguments greedy and privileged is not personal? On top of that telling me basically I have nothing to argue about since it's not my tier is also not personal?

15. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I completely understand your point. The citizen tier is probably not for you. Some people, however are delighted to have a small house with lots of lot space left over. The citizen and Edelman houses are perfect for those who will be growing things or organizing their outside space. The availability of several basement choices mitigates the living space problems at ground level. The row house was designed to fill a lot and snug up to the houses next to it. It was designed for the small lot. However if someone wants to plop it down on a larger lot, the design will clash, just as you said. The lot sizes are standard and there are lots of choices as to what to put on each. If you want the rent free village lot, then Citizen is the entry level for rent free. If the citizen house footprint is too small you can purchase a suitable house for $40 or so.

16. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Its the plot size that you pay for for the actual house to be honest. As a citizen level pledger I would suspect you will already have access to the row size house that has been included in a lower tier.

licemeat likes this.
  17. Shortina

Shortina Avatar

Personally, I am fine with the house included in the Citizen pledge, however for the extra house design for the Founder backers I would expect to have had a different design or maybe the similar design but with a loft or 2 levels. But not really an issue for me, if there is an improvement I would appreciate it, if not it's fine.

Xenolivar Woengus likes this.
  18. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

I always thought of that citizen house as the picture that comes with a newly purchased picture frame. You can keep it in there and it is a picture but why? It's basically set up as a donation trap. Anyone who would purchase a pledge for $550 bucks would surely upgrade their living circumstances for another $25-50+ bucks with a house add on. I would anyways. I do think that house size to tier level seems to be on a slight slippery slope. This house was fine at the beginning, size wise, but now feels quite small. Some people will like it for farming or something but I'm willing to wager you won't see many of these in the real game after a month of two of the game being live. I don't care if they redesign it or not, personally, but if they did how long could it possibly take to redesign a one room house? I think the small amount of time and effort would be very appreciative of the citizen backers. Making backers who payed over half a grand of real USD happy is a good thing. Or make a couple more $25 add on houses like the shingle-roof stone village home and let the citizens pick which one they want.

Xenolivar Woengus and dp_dropout like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.