Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

My Release 7 Experience

Discussion in 'Release 7 Feedback' started by Kabalyero Kidd, Jun 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

Shroud of the Avatar is getting better and better at each release and Pre-Alpha Release 7 is no different.

- Owl's Head is less laggy but I still get lag spikes.
    - Adding a Draw Distance slider or feature in the options might reduce some video lag.
    - I had problems with the Lord British Cloak. It wasn't flexible and it didn't attach properly to my Avatar.
    - The game crashed to desktop once.
    - Can't enter Multiplayer Online.
    - NPC dialogue or conversation tab should close itself when the conversation ends.
    - Plants are bleeding through walls.

That's it for now. More will come as I play the game. Great job.

Numa, Khloec, Kaisa and 2 others like this.
  2. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

More of my experience in Shroud of the Avatar Pre-Alpha Release 7

- the new 3D Overland Map is not overworking my GPU unlike the Papercloth Map
    - I like how NPC names are generic until you talked to them and asked their names
    - Lord British Cloak is still not attached properly and it's stiff as a board
    - I like how I can grab things like in Ultima
    - for some reason, the cow in the Market Area is getting smaller and thinner, o_O

3. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

I logged in in Single Player Online mode but, for some reason, I still met a couple of players even though I was in Single Player Online mode. o_O

Seeing other players in Single Player Online felt kinda weird because I wasn't really expecting to see anyone. LOL

4. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

Tried the Cabinet Maze at Valemark/Pax Lair. It was massive. Unfortunately, I only got to the third level. I stopped trying after I fell the second time. LOL!

Khloec likes this.
  5. mike11

mike11 Avatar

So far my experience overall...

performance and memory usage (in 64 bit) are largely improved and stable. (only minor non-repeatable occasional crash)
    graff mines and most caves I find quite so-so as well
    animations overall are very blocky and when viewing other players especially needs a lot of improvement
    overworld map is so-so, please make it a functional place to play
    disappointed at chat... no conversations or general chat are happening except perhaps within inclusive instances
    new /home command is awesome for testing
    I find the player villages incredibly boring places that I would never want to go unless I had to
    I find the wilderness hex to be incredibly boring places that I would never ever want to go to
    NPC conversations is like trying to talk to a hair dryer
    nothing new as far as decorations that I see... kind of boring but still fun to decorate a home
    I find the gathering part of crafting to be quite plain... I don't have a vision for this though..
    Cape movement is worse than R6 (i think it's turned off on purpose)
    names Owl's Head, Owl's Nest, Owl's Wash?? I think we have a owl infestation... CALL THE EXTERMINATORSSS (that's me)
    Disappointed there is no experimental levels (like Chris experiment or player level designs)

Things I am still waiting for... laying in bed, pvp, more party-centric stuff, eating food, lunar rifts that change destination, calender cycle, more magic abilities, player vendors, basements for homes... Card combat, main continent, alchemy, opponents with actual strategy requirements... Virtues system/criminal system, fishing.

6. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Hi Mike, I have concerns and compliments also.

Performance-wise R7 ran pretty well for me. No complaints.

As for the new 3D map, glad Chris made this, looks so much better than the paper pop-up one even in its first iteration. I think it will evolve into one of SotA's strongest features. It desperately needs encounters ala Ultima V to bring it to life.

I don't think 'sleeping' is possible in an MMO is it? Because how can you pass the day/night for everyone in the world? If I'm wrong on this I'm happy for anyone to correct me. That is why I really hope sleeping and camping will be included in single-player, but I'm worried it will be excluded entirely. Inns too :(

As far as the conversations went, yes, I agree. They could use some sprucing up.

Great to see more Runic in game.

I don't really have much else to add for R7. Its good that we can finally look 'directly up'. The hexes need more archways to denote exits.

docdoom77 likes this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes we were told we would be able to lie in our bed and interact with so much. So far chest of drawers don't open, unable to drop things on the ground, and not a lot of the interactive is there, but I'm sure it is coming.

So far the game is moving along pretty well.

Still not loving the avatar improvements, was hoping for more there. I still think the avatars not being extra special will reflect poorly on the game look and feel, so please as my previous post said 'Don't put a fork in it', do not dare do that. They are not ok yet. The walking is still clunky. A friend says a stick is up the 'you know where', but I didn't say it. ;) I truly want beautiful, graceful avatars, so here's hoping for way more to come. I will keep watching and talking about it of course. ;)

Please add long flowing wizard beards, not for me, but I do know someone who wants them very badly.

I love the map improvements so far. I know this is just the first rendition of it. I am excited to see more. I think it is great.

8. Kungfu

Kungfu Avatar

this was the first release I actually started having a little fun

nice to see some things starting to shape up

I have a feeling that unity engine is ultimately going to hold this back from achieving the fidelity of the vision.

9. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

I like how the NPCs react to our actions. For example, Myra got mad at my avatar because I killed his brother Myron in the Clink even though Myron wanted to be killed. I just hope they'll also add a quest that will appease Myra's anger or hatred towards my avatar. ^_^

10. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Nope. You killed her brother, I don't think you can redeem yourself too easily from that!

11. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

Myra in time will be the mayor of the city, so be prepared xD

Saosis and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
  12. Nog

Nog Avatar

Nice videos!

13. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Yea, portalarium should take notice of they way he plays as it is probably a good representation of the way typical players would experience the game.

Sent from my GT-S5690M using Tapatalk 2

14. Floors

Floors Avatar

Well if you don't kill him she doesn't recognize that you've talked to him at all so.... :rolleyes:

That quest made me depressed... :confused:

15. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Myra is probably the only one that will sell you some vital quest item to solve the very last story quest. ;)

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  16. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

If you get the journal entry from Myron after giving up your key, talking to Myra about what happened (whether or not you kill him) will finish the sequence.

17. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

I only did not kill her brother... I also told Todd she's selling spoiled goods... she really hates me now... fortunately, she won't remember it in the next release... hehehe

Numa, Lord Beli and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  18. abovenyquist

abovenyquist Avatar

Don't underestimate the advantage of rapid iteration that the Unity engine provides. If they were working with Unreal or Crytek or whatever, it would have taken them much longer to get this point.

Numa and rild like this.
  19. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

that is simply pure, subjective opinion, so here comes mine. ; p

Unreal 4 blueprints are extremely fast to iterate ideas, to the point of lifting them into code when needed.

I agree unity offers rapid turnaround, but, there are a great many problems with it straight out of the box which they admit, and fillin by sold products on their store.

While unreal is relatively new, it offers more flexibility out of the box IMO.

Networking e.g. does not require a large, third party solution like photon to be really worthwhile.

it also is not using some basterdized version of C# from 2003.

conceited point that currently they would have had to pay 200k for the licenses though

Jimmy Haffa, abovenyquist and rild like this.
  20. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Actually, I did explain to Myra what happened and that Myron wanted to die and that he tossed the key (as pointed out in the journal). Myra still didn't really respond to that and just reiterated the fact that she gave me the key and I should go release Myron.
    Perhaps, there was something I missed in the dialogue??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.