Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Graphical feedback

Discussion in 'Release 7 Feedback' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Jun 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

^ Some people are bringing up good points on this page. Up to this point, colors in SotA have definitely been a bit on the drab side. While that is ok for certain areas, there should also be areas with lush greens and vivid landscapes etc etc. Speaking of which, I hope the water gets a good tweak. Unless they're going for the whole BP oil spill look, because if that's the case, its dead on ;)

SotA could definitely use a touch of color in some areas!!

Kaisa, Joviex and Kleshar like this.
  2. smack

smack Avatar

I don't know...maybe it's just me, but the sky looks completely out of place and does not match the landscape at all. Maybe in-game it looks better?

Eriador likes this.
  3. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

You are comparing oversaturated "real" photos with screeshots of the game without any filter or even equilibrium, do the same with the screenies and you will have all the strong colors that you want.

4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Maybe one of the problems with the water is that it doesn't reflect the sky. It is transparent and shows the brown color of the mud below it whereas it should reflect the blu of the sky.

Another thing is that is flat and nowadays there are so many great 3D water effects with waves etc.

Kleshar likes this.
  5. Kleshar

Kleshar Avatar

Aaaw, ok: I will write for the final time all my thoughts about this topic because we're in the " feedback forum " C:

-Final Recap-

this is what most people call " oversaturated colours ":

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, I've never talked about the need to have "strong" colours: people on this post are talking about the need to have more vivid colours and atmospheres.

My (and others' ) opinion about this topic:

An artistic direction like this with its awful standard colour palette (gray, black, pale green, brown) is unacceptable for a 4.5$ million budget game. Everything looks totally placeholder but i'm sure (and I hope) this is happening because the product is still in an unpolished alpha state.

If SOTA wants to have a great universe, it needs to find personality in its atmospheres exactly like Ultima did.

I understand that some of you want to support the project until the end of the world but acting like stupid kids is not the solution: we need to be open minded with each other and see what could be good for the project and what not.

I'll say it again to every person on this forum, hoping it will be the last time i'll have to repeat myself:

I've never talked about the need of having post-effects.
    My suggestion is to change the colour palette.
    This game needs colours.
    Change the colours of the sky, the sea, the flora, give to the buildings a proper artistic style, a reason to exist. Etc.
    Make it a real living world.
    End.

By the way, screenshot from final fantasy 14 on lowest graphical settings:

[​IMG]

Minimum bloom has been used, 80% of the picture is totally raw with no post-effects.

oh, and:

[​IMG]
    lol

I'm confident in your work, Portalarium :)

Content Edited by Firelotus*

6. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

I am pretty sure those are just regular photos.

7. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

I also agree that the game needs more color though I don't think it is as bad as a few are making it out to be. But everyone has their own opinion. I am glad they are going to do something about that plains scene because that does look pretty awful. I also am looking forward to better water and hope for a better sky and some more colorful floral and stuff. I am also looking forward to have more color choices in what we wear. They talked about letting us dye our armor and clothing I think and hopefully there will be decent variety. Please no neon colors though!

8. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

Kleshar, i get your point. I found some pictures of FF and they look fantastic. But i also think that we have a loooong road to release and there is room to change/adjust some settings to get a more colorful world (Chris said that they are experimenting with sky/clouds). I think that is not a priority right now and is good to hear different opinions.

Other examples of a different aproach to colors/lights:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kleshar and Kaisa like this.
  9. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

You know looking at these photos makes me think SOTA would look much better simply by making the sky bluer and more colorful. Not to say there aren't other changes that should be made, but I think that alone would improve the look of the game greatly.

Kleshar and Akro like this.
  10. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Not only blueer but the sky also needs good looking clouds and the sky needs to reflected in the water.

Kleshar and Kaisa like this.
  11. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

To be honest I could live without the clouds being reflected *I usually have it turned off in games that have it anyway* But definitely need some better clouds I agree there.

12. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Actually you can even check with wich program they enhaced the photo (PSP). But it's easy to see just with the eye. I took a good bunch of pics like those at work. But I think that have nothing to do with SotA.

They changed the config of the water like four times already. The actual one works very bad with the new light system and it looks like oil. But maybe we should wait until the finish to work with the lights.

13. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

Ahh the first photos she posted just looked like normal untouched photos to me so I apologize.

Eriador likes this.
  14. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

No problem. What I'm trying to say is that you can make to look a photo as you wish. Even actually working with my dumb pics of SotA they look different depending of the encoding that I apply.

I'm not sure how Unity works, but maybe they should finish first the work with the lights to re-equilibrate the colors. Now the game looks much more darker and "gray plane" that before.

15. prospereau

prospereau Avatar

Kleshar, I feel your pain brother...I too am a misunderstood genius. Many has been the day I have entered the hallowed halls of the SoTA forum only to see them despoiled and degraded by my intellectual inferiors, I too have raged and cursed at the points of discourse that have been proposed by those with mental capacities of a three year old seed potato.

However brother (or sister as here on the SoTA forums we're never prejudice on the basis of race, creed or sex) I implore you to have patience with these poor misguided individuals, whilst obviously not fit to fawn at the prowess of your mighty thoughts, have pity on them that they strive to do their best and better themselves. Often I have thought that if I indeed had magical powers that matched my own mighty cranial capacity I might blast them into dust for their ignorance but understand that they cannot help it and are but mere children.

I am thinking of starting a society when SoTA launches for those who meet my own specific standards of perfection. I'm sure that you will be keen to join so that you can spend time with your intellectual equals.

May all the gods of wisdom, strategy and general smartiness bless your exalted steps.

DF.

:cool: << Too much??>>

Oh and love the graphics so far, bit dark in places, water looks like oil and we could do with a little more vibrancy. (I'd hate to be accused of being off topic).:D

Kleshar likes this.
  16. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

I was ready to say, *prospereau, dont go off top....* when i readed your last sentence xD.

There will be a club for potatoes like me? XD.

I also think that game looks good in general, but there is a lot of work ahead.

prospereau and Eriador like this.
  17. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Without SotA releases or flames we are too much bored. :p

prospereau likes this.
  18. prospereau

prospereau Avatar

No! No club for people like you Akro, but if you are good I may let you suck my toes occasionally (I ask Mrs. Darius to do this but she thinks it's weird. Last time I proposed it she threatened to take away my SoTA privilages *SHUDDERS*:eek:).

DF.

Oh and love the graphics on the new islands!! << Still on topic!

19. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

I like the new island and have very nice views, but I really need some signals or something there to the moongate, I got lost. xD

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  20. Kleshar

Kleshar Avatar

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.