Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Mining Nodes

Discussion in 'Release 7 Feedback' started by Betamox, Jul 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Betamox

Betamox Avatar

Please remove visible ore nodes and replace them with more abundant invisible nodes with a large collection radius.

This will give mining a similar feel to UO and this prevents the opportunistic adventurer from spotting a rare sparkling node while they are traveling to a nearby dungeon.

2. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

No, No, No, a thousand times No, UO style mining only encourages "script" mining, stripping the entire area of everything (or sitting on a boat at the same spot, over & over), random ore nodes only cause you to strip the area multiple time just to get enough of any one type of ore. Please don't make those same mistakes... It's been tried once, why do it again?

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'm not sure exactly what the OP is asking for. Nor do I understand the counter argument.

Shouldn't nodes be relatively random to help avoid scripting? Isn't there ALWAYS an incentive to over collect in games like this?

prospereau likes this.
  4. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I disagree with the OP as well.

I'm more interested in bigger "nodes" which are really like mines. These can be fought over. Perhaps capturing one creates some boon for a friendly town.

Zexarium and Baene Thorrstad like this.
  5. Baene Thorrstad

Baene Thorrstad Avatar

I agree with the disagreement. I think the visible nodes are a much better system than something more along the lines of a "grid" system like UO had. Have the nodes give more over time, like PrimeRib suggests and I think the system will be perfect.

prospereau likes this.
  6. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I take it that you're never played UO... In UO, the map was/is made up of different terrain, rock/mountains being one type (some are accessible only from water, there for a boat is needed). When you dbl clicked your tool, a target arrow came up, and you would place it on a rock/mountain tile and click to mine, as your chr went through the animation, if you succeeded a Sm, Med, or Lrg ore would appear in your backpack. The type of ore you would get was unknown (although you could count on getting 16 ores per spot in a cave, and 8 ores per spot on a mountain side), until you mined once or twice. Color ore was added and spawned at the same spot each time, there was always the random element (at most you would get 8 color, and 8 iron), but the scriptwriters took over by using magic recall/rune libraries to map out all the color spots, and running their script, they would pop in mine a single spot, and pop to the next (or they would use a boat, fleet of boats, to protect themselves from PKs and mine a single spot from the sea). They finally made all colors pop in all spots randomly, 8 of various colors and 8 iron).

In Sota, the nodes are visible, like WoW (but different, they all look the same). Where as in UO the nodes are not visible (but you can mine any rock face anywhere). UO was very tedious work, and as a fix they implemented random nodes, which made it more compelling to run a script.

SotA has no recall, and I hope it never will, Plus the nodes ARE random (although in the same locations, Chris said the scenes will soon be randomized as far as nodes go), and when you mine a node it may or may not give you silver or gold ore or gems, along with iron ore. And it must be far easier in OPO, than SPO because I haven't seen any gems at all, and very little gold...

prospereau likes this.
  7. Axiomaticstatic

Axiomaticstatic Avatar

Please, please, please make this game MORE like UO than WoW.

UO Kept me paying a monthly fee for 6 years.

I quit WoW after my free month was up.

There are many WoW clones out there.

There is nothing like UO (Maybe ArcheAge, if it is that is only one).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.